dslr for 35k max..

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
guys..one of my friend wants dslr..she's interested in photography a lot like me :D but doesn't have good knowledge about dslrs n lenses n filters like me :D

saw couple of threads for same range..and found d5100 with 18-55mm kit for 40k suggested by expers like sujoyp...:) later on she can buy filters n extra lenses like 50-300 VR after she gets used to it in future..is it good investment??

and one stupid question.. :D if i buy d5100 without kit..does that mean they give only body (camera) without any lens or do they provide at least cheap / default lens..?? so that she can buy 18-55mm VR later on if she can not stretch budget to 40k...thank..:)

sujoyp

Grand Master
As she is a girl I would suggest D3100 which is very light...I can handle it with single hand..

D5100 is very good indeed...if u get body only u have to get another lens like 18-105mm....or some other lens...Nikon wont give any cheap lens :D (what an idea)

getting 55-300 VR is very good idea...its a superb lens..good zoom for birding too...

Look bro ask her what she like to shoot??...if answer is everything then use kit lens like 18-55 or 18-105mm and learn to use it...gradually in 1 month u would know whats ur fav genere of shooting...its macro, landscapes, street photography, night shots , potrait etc....then get the 2nd lens accordingly:p

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

thnx sujoyp for ur valuable reply.. :)

As she is a girl I would suggest D3100 which is very light...I can handle it with single hand..
yup..weight is the another factor.. :?

D5100 is very good indeed...if u get body only u have to get another lens like 18-105mm....or some other lens...Nikon wont give any cheap lens :D (what an idea)
:D yar, meant to say low in cost.. not in quality.. :p

getting 55-300 VR is very good idea...its a superb lens..good zoom for birding too...
no doubt at 20k.. :p

Look bro ask her what she like to shoot??...if answer is everything then use kit lens like 18-55 or 18-105mm and learn to use it...gradually in 1 month u would know whats ur fav genere of shooting...its macro, landscapes, street photography, night shots , potrait etc....then get the 2nd lens accordingly:p
absolutely right..:)

i can suggest her to get light weighted d3100..but d5100 would be better if she compromises on weight factor..that's what i think..if she buys d3100, after couple of months she will know the difference with higher one..and then she will wish she could have get better one..if she gets d5100 straight away, it would be a long time n much future proof investment then..she will just need to buy filters n specialized lenses in future..wat say??

so, if budget is strictly 35k max or weight factor then d3100 + 18-55mm VR
if she can stretch to 40k then D5100 + 18-55mm VR...right??

and should i think about 500D or 550D also?? 600D will cost above 45k i guess..

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think go to shop and handle both for weight factor...that would be much better...feature wise u wont find anything less in D3100...but if u can get D5100 thats even better

just compare the feature and tell me whats not there in D3100 :D

SwiftLover

Broken In
Bargain with the dealer and go for Nikon D5100...He can give you for 36k!!
That's for sure...On Ebay it sells for 36750 - 500 (Coupon) =36,250/-

Do inquire abt the Warranty before you buy.

sujoyp

Grand Master
No one from Canon camp?

U can definitely suggest canon 550D if u want :razz:....I just love it ....but the feel is plasticy...

I would have jump from D3100 to canon 550D and then nikon D90
and ignore D5100...but its ur own choice

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

thanks lot all of you for your suggestions..:)

@sujoyp,

yep..d3100 is awesome camera in that range..no doubt about it..i haven't been able to find the in-detailed difference between d3100 and d5100..but tried to find out some which i understood..

d5100 has larger sensor..
broader ISO range than d3100..
can record video in full-hd at 30 fps also..(of course, dslrs are meant to be used as photoshoot..but still..and have heard that d3100's video recording is limited to 10 minutes..not sure though..)
better LCD screen..having 16.7 million colors with swivel functioning..
more scene modes..
and just 55 grams heavier than d3100..

fulll comparison (not from nikon site)

so, what should i suggest to her?? d3100 or d5100 both are damm good..m confused..how about 550D vs D5100??

@swiftlover,
yes i will try to bargain for sure..that's in my blood.. :D

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
here is a comparision
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

D5100 have some not so useful advantages -
1. Better screen with swivel functioning
2. Auto bracketing option for HDR
3. Full HD at 30fps....D3100 can record full HD at 24fps
4. timelapse recording

but these features dont help much other than swivel screen

Better screen can be used to check settings and pics after shooting but forget taking a shot with that screen...it takes too much time..u better use viewfinder
Most people dont like HDR effects:razz:
recording video with that heavy cam and focussing manually is a cumbersome job...I hate it
People may record a timelapse video 1-2 time a year...ask any D5000 user:razz:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I just read the detail review of D5100 and it seems it better in all sense than D3100...very good photo quality ..on par with D7000

Last edited:
OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

:D

what about auto focus in D3100 / D5100?? does it depend on dslr's features or the lenses??

SwiftLover

Broken In
:D

what about auto focus in D3100 / D5100?? does it depend on dslr's features or the lenses??

That's on lens as AF motor is built inside the lens.
If you can afford go for D5100

Pros:
Better Quality Screen (The Color & Image looks Crisp on D5100)
Rotating Scree (Helpful only to Click object/capturing angle which are difficult to capture with Fixed Screen)
Bigger Sensor (Sensor same as D7000..Slightly better IQ)
Higher ISO (Better for capturing Low Light Snaps)

Read this User Review for D5100 Also checkout the IQ as clicked by this users

My Friend has Nikon D3100 and the above points made him to suggest D5100 for me. We carry Camera's with us daily to office/hangout place...Its like our Mobile phone ;)

As with regards to Canon D550 its equally good DSLR but u will need to use L series Lens to get best IQ. I have Opted for D5100 and as i can see there is lot of demand for D5100 in the market currently..earlier due to the Nikon DSLR shortage Canon captured the market share..

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup D5100 is definitely better then d3100...but u r totally wrong about 550d...its as good as d5100...and canon L r super costly and for pros...there general quality is on par with nikon...canon have even advantage of havin motor on all lenses...

SwiftLover

Broken In
yup D5100 is definitely better then d3100...but u r totally wrong about 550d...its as good as d5100...and canon L r super costly and for pros...there general quality is on par with nikon...canon have even advantage of havin motor on all lenses...

Now, In Nikon almost all new lens are built in motor.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Now, In Nikon almost all new lens are built in motor.

yaah true...the AFS series is getting bigger every month...but we also have old good lens which can be used in manual mode...

u can autofocus them if u get a D90 and above SLR

OP
bhushan2k

bhushan2k

guys..she bought 550D with 18-55 lens + tripod + 16GB card (+ 4GB pen drive free..lol)..many of her friends suggested that cam..so she took that one..hope it is not very good but a superb like D5100..:)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@bhushan....550D is superb SLR....Its my personal choice over D5100...its a good decision...whats the cost??

sujoyp

Grand Master
38k seems on the costlier side..but anyways tell her to enjoy the Slr and click pics untill she learns...

Top Bottom