DRU810-A tray coming out & going in

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
My Sony DRU 810-A had worked well for almost exactly 2 years without any issues. But from yesterday the tray is coming out and going in on its own every few minutes, without any disc in it. What may be the cause and any possible solution?

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
pathiks said:
is it a virus problem??? Scan with a good AV.

Scanned with Avast AV, Spybot, Ad Aware and Windows Defender (which are always kept updated) and nothing was detected. Also using updated genuine XP and do not visit potentially dangerous sites.

Eazy

Journeyman
I did a little bit of searching and came up with this page, check this thread specially post number 11

*forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=68394

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Eazy said:
I did a little bit of searching and came up with this page, check this thread specially post number 11

*forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=68394

Oh, you are here!
Thanks for a relevant link. But the Bezel/Faceplate was replaced with the supplied black one the first day and it had been working perfectly for 2 years. As of now I don't feel like opening it and cleaning/lubricating.

How much is the possibility of malware doing such things? Or can it be problem with the internal circuitry?

sashijoseph

In the zone
To rule out malware press the 'pause' key while booting so that the OS doesn't boot or just go into cmos setup and stay there for sometime to see if the problem occurs.But in all probability it's a hardware problem.....the tray open\close limit switches may have gone bad.

Eazy

Journeyman
janitha said:
Oh, you are here!
Thanks for a relevant link. But the Bezel/Faceplate was replaced with the supplied black one the first day and it had been working perfectly for 2 years. As of now I don't feel like opening it and cleaning/lubricating.

How much is the possibility of malware doing such things? Or can it be problem with the internal circuitry?

The poster in the thread I linked mentions that the face plate can go out of shape over time :???:

In case you want to open the Optical drive to see what makes it tick - a link - *www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/179/1

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Despite warnings everywhere against Samsung ODDs but as recommended elsewhere as well as the opinions at cdfreaks bought SH-S203B/IDBH for 1.43K. It is box pack and SATA with Nero 7 suite. Hope it won't end up with tray problems.

@Eazy
I had practiced opening the drive with an old CD drive 2-3 years back with online information like what you mentioned.

But trying to see how it works can be very dangerous because of the laser.

Last edited:
OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
casual_gamer said:
yeah to rule out any virus, don't boot to windows. just stay in bios only....and see if the problem continues.

I think it is a hw problem only since for some time before the tray problem started, it has been emitting very loud noise.

But it worked fine for 2 years and now the availability was LG and SS only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom