Dreamspark account doesn't show usual Visual Studio apps

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I login to my normal dreamspark account today, and realized that Microsoft have removed the versions of Visual Studio like Visual Studio 2010 Professional, VS Professional 2013 etc and replaced it with a new single product, Visual Studio Community 2015.

The same IDE is also shipped with digit this month. Upon comparing it seems now there is only a few version of VS IDE available which are:
Visual Studio Community (free with many features absent)
Visual Studio Professional (Paid)
Visual Studio Enterprise (Paid with all features)

So, does that mean dreamspark have removed access to pro versions for students and instead providing them free version with many compromises?

I do have the VS 2013 that I downloaded months ago. But do I need to install it now? Or would just the Community version would be enough? Anyone have any idea?

WhizKID

Assassin Apprentice
The Community version is a good enough version since I assume you are a student (Dreamspark Account). It has support for plugins just like the Pro version and has lots of other features as well and is certainly better than the Express version. Don't worry, it should be good enough.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
If you have already downloaded VS 2013 Professional from DreamSpark, you will see the key in DreamSpark. Look for it,

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The keys of previously downloaded products are there on the profile page of Dreamspark. All in one place. So that's handy.

But I just wanted to know, whether Community version is good enough compared to Pro versions. I guess for learning purpose, it is no different.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
The keys of previously downloaded products are there on the profile page of Dreamspark. All in one place. So that's handy.

But I just wanted to know, whether Community version is good enough compared to Pro versions. I guess for learning purpose, it is no different.

there were some problem while installing it alongside VS 2013 pro. I had to reinstall/repair it several times to get it working. Other than that I haven't faced any issues with VS 2015 Community so far.

And, yes 2015 Community has almost all features of VS 2015 Pro except for MSDN subscription and a few others. *www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, I didn't have any old version of Visual Studio, so I didn't face any problem installing VS Community. But it took a lot of time to install the damn thing. I had to keep the PC overnight since it was taking ages.

Also it seems to be VERY slow. Took ages to start the first time too.

Now it's loading Visual Studio Emulator for Android and its only been 10 minutes and still counting. More than TEN minutes to load an Android virtual machine? WTF?

And I have 4th generation Core i5 machine with 8 gigs of RAM in dual channel. :/

Makes me wonder should I just ditch this "community version" and go back to Visual Studio 2010.

Top Bottom