Download problem with Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaanaragorn

Right off the assembly line
Hi, I am using BSNL's broadbandband service and windows XP as my OS. Whenever i connect to the internet the computer starts uploading and downloading even if no other software is active.
To simplify: when i connect to the internet, atomatic uploads/downloads start even if no other software (not even IE or mozilla) is active.
I have run Kaspersky virus scan and it did not find any virus.
What could be the problem?

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
There can be many possibilities.

Check if you have Windows Update enabled.
Windows Defender Updates?
K Antivirus Updates?
Other Software Updates?

Disable these.

There can also be hidden trojans (which are undetected by antivirus).... Get a net monitor software and see what exactly is using your internet.

harpreet115

Broken In
Whenever you connect to the internet some data is always sent and received to/from the BSNL server but it is very less(100-200 KB's or even less) and it stops further sending and receiving of data after about 5-6 minutes.
Also turn off your Automatic System Updates through My Computer properties.
There might also be any software that might not be showing its icon in the system tray etc. End the Process for any such software through Task Manager(Ctrl+Alt+Del) and use Start>Run>msconfig and in Startup tab uncheck the name of any such software s that it might not start as soon as your PC boots.
There could also any virus or worm that might be downloading other viruses to your computer.Update your anti-virus and run a system scan.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Yes, try the above steps and if you have Comodo Firewall, terminate cmdagent.exe and check because it consumes a lot of traffic!!

OP
S

shaanaragorn

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for your advice, but all these things have already passed through my mind and i have done everything. I turned down all automatic updates, to ensure that no other software is installing itself, i uninstalled all such internet-based softwares. But the problem persists.
And how about the upload problem? My PC uploads as much as it downloads (about 3 MB in the first 7-10 mins). Thats a lot when no activity is going on, don't you think?

Last edited:

mittyr

silentFOX
@shaanaragorn

Do you get any other problem/error in PC??

Install firewall/bandwidth monitor of your choice. If possible, screenshot of your taskmanager>Processes/Networking at that time.

@Disc_Junkie

If you got Comodo with "Defense" system "ON", then remove it. Just install the Firewall only. The "Defense" system goes paranoid time-to-time, seems a bug in it.

mittyr

silentFOX
@prateek007391

You can try "Netlimiter", there's a free version. Would suggest a "firewall" over a "bandwidth moniter" though.

mittyr

silentFOX
@prateek007391

It does. Open the console > Firewall > "Select" Common Tasks > View Active Connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom