Down With Closing of Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler81

The One and Only
Hi, I would like to draw the attention of the Forum members to the fact that Threads in This Forum Should not be Closed.

I seriously don't like the 'Closing' of any thread. This forum has a huge amount of valuable information and a lot of them are still usable. A lot can be added/updated. It should not be a place to resolve issues and then forget about it. If someone wants to add something they should have the opportunity to do so.
I was going through a thread about institutes on Cyber Forensics in India where a guy posted that his friends are sitting for an entrance exam on Cyber Forensics and if they are selected he'll post all details about the course. Lets say he found out all about the institute and wanted to post it but he comes only to discover that the thread is 'Closed'. Thats not good. Why does a thread need to be closed in the first place ? I strongly suggest and urge the admins NOT TO CLOSE ANY THREADS and if possible reopen all. I joined Suprbay recently and one thing I observed in their forum is, they never close any thread. Please express your views on this topic.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Members, specially new comers tend to Spam a thread which may be Ages old.
But yeah, in case of this section and the example you posted, it would be damn unfruitful!

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, you are correct to some extent, but mods do not close threads upon it gets solved, we only mark it as [SOLVED]. We only close threads when it's going offtopic and people starts trolling once they post solution to the @OP.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok, pm mods to open it, or open a new thread, post and ask mods to merge threads, takes 5 mins.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hi, I would like to draw the attention of the Forum members to the fact that Threads in This Forum Should not be Closed.

I seriously don't like the 'Closing' of any thread. This forum has a huge amount of valuable information and a lot of them are still usable. A lot can be added/updated. It should not be a place to resolve issues and then forget about it. If someone wants to add something they should have the opportunity to do so.
I was going through a thread about institutes on Cyber Forensics in India where a guy posted that his friends are sitting for an entrance exam on Cyber Forensics and if they are selected he'll post all details about the course. Lets say he found out all about the institute and wanted to post it but he comes only to discover that the thread is 'Closed'. Thats not good. Why does a thread need to be closed in the first place ? I strongly suggest and urge the admins NOT TO CLOSE ANY THREADS and if possible reopen all. I joined Suprbay recently and one thing I observed in their forum is, they never close any thread. Please express your views on this topic.

If you want any thread to be opened, report it or PM any MOD. There are many reasons that redundant / old threads are closed out. Spammers use them, old useless bumps, irrelevant content is posted.

Sarath

iDota
Members, specially new comers tend to Spam a thread which may be Ages old.
But yeah, in case of this section and the example you posted, it would be damn unfruitful!

When I was new I was bumping old threads but I was unaware of that since I didnt know where the post date is mentioned.

However what bothered me more was I was only replying to maybe the 4th or 5th thread in a category and it turns out that it was quite old.
Now for a newbie thats like keeping a bag of stale chips, say a year old, as the fifth dish on the dining table and then making a mockery of him when he starts munching on them.

I though the forum was dead or was only run by maybe 10 people before I realised that there were a select few hyperactive threads and users.

However I maintain and some threads should and deserve to be locked. Some are unnecessarily locked. But if anyone has a legitimate reason for reopening users just PM a mod and its mostly open and spam beckoning again.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very old threads get automatically closed. Moderators don't play any role in that. If anyone wants a particular thread to be opened, he can always send a PM to a moderator.

But sometimes you see, there are few discussions/threads which should not be resurrected. It's better not to bump them out of the blue. Let them die. Then there are threads which complete their course. For example, someone buys a configuration, he has posted pics and he is satisfied, but still the discussion goes on and on and on. The thread transforms into a generic discussion thread. So, it's better to lock these. Usually a thread is locked when it has ran its course or loses the purpose. Running the course and losing purpose are two completely different scenarios.

When I was new I was bumping old threads but I was unaware of that since I didnt know where the post date is mentioned.
Few sections are very active and few are not. well, I can be blamed for that. :p We show around 40-50 threads per page when you browse a forum. Not all forums do that. This somewhat increases the probability of getting old threads bumped.

Sarath

iDota
Damn again I bumped an old thread. Damn!

See another example of a good use for locking. Saved me the embarrassment of talking to a ghost OP. Thanks ico. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom