Status
Not open for further replies.

vbtech

Broken In
icecoolz,

Why you are comparing Java and .NET platform, I have pointed out the features of .NET as I like it, I am not denying the fact that most commercial and financial applications are written in Java, as I have said i have done java programming for a lot of years and i do like Java, what I am trying to say is that Microsoft .NET technology is very promising and we are going to see a large no. of web applications running on .NET in near future.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
vbtech said:
icecoolz,

Why you are comparing Java and .NET platform, I have pointed out the features of .NET as I like it, I am not denying the fact that most commercial and financial applications are written in Java, as I have said i have done java programming for a lot of years and i do like Java, what I am trying to say is that Microsoft .NET technology is very promising and we are going to see a large no. of web applications running on .NET in near future.

First of all never have I compared java and .NET anywhere in this post :roll: Please check before you say so. I even mentioned that java and .NET is not a fair comparison as it should be J2EE and .NET

As you have expressed your opinions so am I expressing mine. .NET and Half Life 2 are the one and the same. .NET was first released in 2001 and its 2004 and still there is no stable sepcs. Its constantly on the change. Also MS and security well we all know what thats like. So I dont think I will be building security applications based on .NET netime in the future.

For all those people harping on XML and webservices both are already easily implemented in j2EE specs and almost every IDE out there supports it.

OP
N

nitnew

Broken In
Re: Longhorn

TheGuru said:
nitnew said:
TheGuru said:
This is the right time to start learning .NET though not many applications are available right now that run on .NET.
.NET is going to become extremely important once Windows Longhorn is released - around the end of 2006 - 2007. But, be aware of the fact that .NET is being revised all along and I am not sure which will be the final version that Longhorn is going to ship out with.
have you know the requirements to run longhorn on the desktop. companies do not adopt the longhorn due to its requirements. they are shifting to UNIX related OS which are free and more secure then any other operating systems.

I really don't think so. Lets face it, Windows currently dominates the OS market and they are years ahead of Linux and other Unices when it comes to Graphics (except maybe the Macs which are irrelevant considering that they are a minority). Which is the OS you boot to daily? Which is the OS you use if you want to play the latest games? Which is the OS that __every__ harware manufacturer supports? As far as home user is concerned, Windows is the unanimous choice and rightly so. I mean, Windows is _still_ enjoying the huge popularity and widespread adoption it got from Win95 and Win98. All major APIs, frameworks and what-not were developed primarily for Windows and most applications were developed with these APIs in mind. MS Office is a whole story in itself. I would say Windows is still preferable in corporate desktops primarily due to MS Office. Add to this DirectX and MS Visual Studio (one of the best user-friendly IDE) and no wonder Windows is still the dominant OS.
Linux is picking up well, but suffers from the problems listed above. I like to think of Linux as more of an academic OS or a research OS that primarily finds acceptance in educational and research institutions - and to some extent in corporates as servers (though FreeBSD is the preferred one as far as security and stability is concerned). Linux also suffers from its own model. For example, consider GNome and KDE - both are equally good - but, some applications function well only with one of them. Specifically, the issue is one of standardization. Currently, different linux distros are to a certain extent incompatible. There is however a standardization effort going on (LSB). So, things __will__ get better, but, its gonna take a lot of time.

"companies do not adopt the longhorn due to its requirements. they are shifting to UNIX related OS which are free and more secure then any other operating systems."

Please don't make such statements... it makes me :lol:

Security - yes! It was just a bad patch for Microsoft. Well, they have had their lesson and I am sure, they are only going to get better. And windows _may_ not really make such a big splash as far as servers are concerned, but desktop is all theirs. I mean, I don't think that many Win servers are out their today. So, Longhorn server is irrelevant to this discussion.

I think longhorn is just the beginning - there are a lot of goodies to follow.
i agree with you but the problem of linux is the application software any company can not shift from one technology to another, as linux servers have already take there positions in market which are the base.
about the desktops organization system are basically for coding and not for playing the latest games most of the times and the concept of the VB, MS Word. the current linux has solved the problem of this too much, it recognize the most formats of the word(MS). i am not sure but it may happens that person work on the simulater of the window which runs on the linux operating system.

TheGuru

Broken In
about the desktops organization system are basically for coding and not for playing the latest games most of the times and the concept of the VB, MS Word. the current linux has solved the problem of this too much, it recognize the most formats of the word(MS).

If you are talking about software companies where geeks just "code" and Linux can as well do the job - I'm afraid even that is not likely to happen. Reason? MS Office. Though there are a lot of other office suites that can read MS Office files, they are not yet there. They won't get anywhere near 75% compliance with MS Office, forget about 100%. And with new versions of MS office coming out, it just gets worse. Take this from someone who has worked on these formats (Excel and PPT) and trust me, the situation is pretty bad... we have to literally look at bits & bites of binary data and try to make sense of each of these bytes and sometimes, even bits... (check out apache POI project: *jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html)
MS Office is half the story. Many companies have based their entire infrastructure on Windows platform (like mailing system and management functionality). They simply can't migrate to other open-source systems simply because the penalty will be formidable. (Wipro uses Outlook - imagine what it would mean if they were to switch to Lotus Notes... no one will accept a change easily)

i am not sure but it may happens that person work on the simulater of the window which runs on the linux operating system

Are you talking about virtual machines like vmware? Hmmm.... that doesn't change anything, does it? Whether you run windows 'natively' or in a virtual machine, ultimately, you have to have a license which means you pay M$.

OP
N

nitnew

Broken In
OS

well this is also right, but in this discussion we forgot the dot net. well come back to dotnet and let's discuss on that;
the linux OS takes into market for the clients

sms_solver

In the zone
I have noticed that .NET application really runs slowly as compared to Win32 executables, also it takes a lot of memory at runtime.

Is this due to intermediate MISL code or there is some other reasons.

can somebody enlighten my knowledge.

sms_solver

In the zone
Re: MISL

nitnew said:
WHAT IS THIS I NEVER HEARD OF THIS WORD IN COMPUTER CAN YOU EXPLAIN IT IN DETAIL

When you make (exe) using let say MS VC++, VB or some Borland C/C++ Compiler it make Win32 executable i.e. (.exe or .dll) They are machine dependent code.

But .net doesnot compile your .net code into win32 executable, rather it make some intermediate code. That intermediate code is interpreted by some ms (.net framework based) interpreter. (i don't know the name). it is somewhat similar to java bytecode

I guess this makes .net application slow. correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom