DoT may ask Airtel to stop 3G services in seven circles

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Telecom giant Bharti Airtel may be soon directed by the telecom department to stop providing 3G services in as many as seven circles, where the operator does not have the licence to provide high-end data services, in next 15 days. According to reports, Airtel will be slapped a fine of Rs. 350 crore, or 50 crore in each of the seven regions where it provides 3G via a roaming agreement with operators Vodafone and Idea Cellular.

A Times of India report says the DoT will soon issue similar notices to Vodafone and Idea Cellular. The report further adds Union telecom minister Kapil Sibal has already given his nod to the move to penalise Airtel and direct the operator to stop offering 3G services outside its licenced circles.

It's not the first time the DoT has attempted to end the 3G roaming pact between the telecom operators. Recently, the telecom department panel recommended immediate stoppage to the arrangement, describing such pacts as “illegal” and “violate licence rules”.

The panel, formed to review 3G roaming agreement, had suggested a heft penalty of Rs. 50 crore per service area for such violations of the licence rules.

The "sale/provisioning of 3G services through the network of other operators using intra-circle roaming facility leads not only to licence violations but also results in undue enrichment of these mobile phone companies who are collecting revenue from 3G customers without specific authorisation,” adds the panel in its note.

The DoT had issued a show cause notice to Airtel last year asking the operator to end 3G roaming services outside licenced zones. The operator, however, challenged the notice in the Delhi High Court. Airtel contended DoT notice contradicted the interim orders passed by the telecom tribunal, Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).

Kapil Sibal, however, says the verdict from the tribunal could not be considered as victory for operators.

"For anyone to say they were orally assured, that in itself is suspect. If mature operators have bid for 3G spectrum on such assurances, then they should not be in business. I have seen the replies to queries where operators say we allowed them to offer this facility - you can interpret those replies in any way you want to. How will an entity be allowed to operate in an area in which it doesn't have a licence and even acquire customers from there? Whether it is right or wrong, it is not government against operator - it's what we believe our decision meant," Sibal said.

If implemented, a number of Airtel customers in the country will bear the brunt of the DoT directives, and will be compelled to port out to a different network. Airtel is the largest mobile operator in the country and has about 21 percent of the market share.

DoT may ask Airtel to stop 3G services in seven circles: Report - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
You must be joking if you think Karnataka is not on the list. What I mean is that if Airtel does not have a K'taka permit then kiss 3G goodbye. I know Kolkata will probably be on top of the list.

If anything, the DoT should first penalize Airtel for genuine scams SmartBytes and then focus on anti-consumer moves.

You must be joking if you think Karnataka is not on the list. What I mean is that if Airtel does not have a K'taka permit then kiss 3G goodbye. I know Kolkata will probably be on top of the list.

If anything, the DoT should first penalize Airtel for genuine scams SmartBytes and then focus on anti-consumer moves.

they cheated 160 rupees from me and man i am so happy they gotta pay 350 crore in return :D lol.........on a serious note even the goverment knows the 350 cr will be airtel user's money and not the companies.....simple goverment wants 100 rupees they tell companies...companies takes 300 rupees from consumers takes 200 as profit.....thank god i left airtel :D

sbnaul

Broken In
This would further hamper and reduce the pace at which we indians would get 3g... I am sure if it goes this way then by the time the world would move into the 5g era we would get some stable 3g... Other roaming providers should atleast not be penalised... Retarded government...

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

Exactly +1.Some times that crap used to shoot up in Steam, But still airtel>bsnl in all ways.

That'll surely teach them a lesson. They have the most expensive 2g and 3g packs here in karnataka.

Also the only network in karnataka to provide to good network across all citys..Atleast here in my city, You don't get Docomo network in many areas

But they have the most economical and fast 3g plans here in punjab and himachal.
Here in karnataka they give 600 mb 2g data for 20 days @rs98. Comparing to others that is expensive. Also for 3g, tata docomo rs250 plan is used by almost everyone in my hostel.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Here in karnataka they give 600 mb 2g data for 20 days @rs98. Comparing to others that is expensive. Also for 3g, tata docomo rs250 plan is used by almost everyone in my hostel.

Oh thats what i was wondering why my internet pack got over so fast-20 days :|

Theodre

In the zone
Bad for the company. Am surprised to find the government doing something about the bad services these days ... But still i love AirTel!! Only they provide more free services to their long term customers. I often get 100Mb 2g data free from airtel since i was using 2g from my mobile alot!! And i hope kerala is on the list :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well it's confirmed.. Airtel told to stop 3G services in 7 regions, slapped Rs 350 crore fine - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The government has ordered Bharti Airtel, the country's largest mobile phone company, to stop providing third-generation (3G) services in Kolkata, Maharashtra, Gujarat and four other regions by Monday, as it cracks the whip on companies offering these services in areas where they do not have permits.

Bharti moved the Delhi High Court on Friday against the telecom department (DoT) directive, and the court will hear the case on Monday.

DoT has also slapped a 350-crore penalty on the company for offering high-end data services in seven regions where it does not have 3G frequencies.

A government department official confirmed that similar bans, including penalties, would be slapped on Vodafone and Idea Cellular too, but declined to specify the time frame.

Top Bottom