DoT Increases 3G Allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Good news for all potential Apple iPhone 3G buyers.

DoT identifies more spectrum, to expand auctions from earlier estimate of five in each service area.

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has identified between 51 and 60 MHz of spectrum, the radio frequencies that enable wireless communications, in several service areas that will allow it to offer between 10 and 12 licences to operators to introduce third-generation (3G) services.

This marks a significant increase from the 3G policy that DoT had finalised — and is awaiting government clearance — of auctioning only five licences per circle on the basis of an availability of 25MHz of spectrum. 3G services enable high-speed download of data like movies and music on the mobile.
The 3G auction will now be undertaken based on the fresh availability of spectrum in various circles.

Based on the higher spectrum availability, DoT will now be able to offer licences to 12 operators each in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu (including Chennai), Haryana, Karnataka, Orissa and Kerala; and 10 licences each in Kolkata and Madhya Pradesh.

More here: *business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=329809

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yesterday's Economic Times (I think) said that there will be at least 5-6 3G operators in a circle. They are increasing no. of operators I guess increasing providers or easing some clauses.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Also, they have scrapped the 3G auction for the country's CDMA players. Instead, there will be a new policy in place now.

I've written comprehensively about it, here.

Also, the DoT plans to implement MNP by the end of this year.

Pathik

Google Bot
So are they going to allocate 5 MHZ per operator in the beginning and increase it as need rises?

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
they said it will come start of this year...

now itts extending ..

i think instaead of moving to 3g .. they should skip 3g and move to 4g instead...that way we can save a lot of money when moving to next level...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom