Doom III (Doom III Resurrection of Evil Expansion Pack)

Rate this game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pranjal_halo2freak

Right off the assembly line
DOOM III

Its long time since Doom III was realized but since Digit and anybody have not reviewed or previewed I thought that it is necessary for a review.

DOOM III

(OLD IS GOLD BUT NEW IS BETTER IF NOT GOOD)
At first glance Doom III has a legacy that most game don’t dare even to think of
(Doom the most played game of all time). It is very difficult for me to comment on this master piece of a game. Id software’s games generally do appeal to fans because they put next generation technology into their games. Games until now have not looked like Doom III. Doom III once again raises the bar what games should look like. I would say few things about game-play & technology involved.

Larger than life

Doom 3 is definitely a cracker of a game when it comes to milking graphics card.
Any new graphics card even the SLI’s cannot keep up when all bells & whistles are turned on. According to Id software it is highly recommended to have a 512MB Graphics card when you play it in Ultra quality mode.But because of the scalability of the Doom 3 engine one can even play it on a Geforce 2 MX. But Doom 3 is only great when played in High or Ultra quality mode. As Id software announced its official benchmark scores, to everybody’s surprise NVIDIA 6800 Ultra stole the storm by beating ATI’s flag ship card the X800XT by a considerable margin and even the GT version beat the X800XT to some extend. This may be because NVIDIA worked closely with Id software’s when Doom III was under progress and also because NVIDIA drivers have better OPENGL support and ATI has better directx support. But who cares its nowadays called conditioning. Drive updates will make the game run more smoothly.

As for the advancement in graphics Doom 3 has some pretty new things such as the unified lighting & shadowing, more complex animating & scripting that will show of this lighting & shadowing, use of bump mapping(Bump mapping is a feature that enhances visual realism by using lighting but not by adding additional textures. Thus performance hit is negligible), Rag doll physics & smart ass A.I.

The minimum and recommended system requirements are listed below:-

Minimum System Requirements:

- English version of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000/XP
- Pentium(R) 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ processor
- 384MB RAM
- 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
- 2.5GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows(R) swap file)
- 100% DirectX(R) 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
- 100% Windows(R) 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- DirectX(R) 9.0b
- 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX(R) 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.
o ATI(R) Radeon 8500
o ATI(R) Radeon 9000
o ATI(R) Radeon 9200
o Nvidia(R) GeForce 3/Ti series
o Nvidia(R) GeForce 4MX series

Recommended system requirements:
- English version of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000/XP
- Pentium(R) 4 2.5GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ processor
- 512MB RAM
- 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
- 2.5 of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows(R) swap file)
- 100% DirectX(R) 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
- 100% Windows(R) 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers DirectX(R) 9.0b

- 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX(R) 9.0b compatible 128 MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.
o ATI(R) Radeon 9700
o ATI(R) Radeon 9800
o ATI(R) Radeon X800 series
o All Nvidia(R) GeForce 4/Ti series
o All Nvidia(R) GeForce FX series
o Nvidia(R) GeForce 6800 series

Here is a list of tweaks that’s gone help you with best compromise between quality and performance:-

Framerate and Visual Tweaks

Main Menu Options

Ultra Quality
Each texture (diffuse, specular, and normal) will be at full resolution with no compression. In a typical DO level, this can hover around 500 megabyte of texture data. This will run on current hardware but will not be suitable as on a 256MB card, causing texture thrashing. The amount of texture referenced in a given scene per frame 60 times a second) can easily be 50 megabytes+. This is ideal for 512 megabyte video cards.

High quality
Uses hardware compression (DXT1, 3, 5) for specular and diffuse textures and no compression for textures. This looks very very close to Ultra quality but the compression does cause some loss in quality. This is ideal for 256 megabyte video cards.

Medium quality
Uses hardware compression for all textures (specular, diffuse and normal). While this still looks good compressing the normal maps can produce a few artifacts especially on hard angled or round edges. This is ideal for 128 megabyte cards.

Low quality
Uses hardware compression for all textures (specular, diffuse and normal) and automatically resizes diffuse textures and normal textures to no more than 256x256 and specular texture maps to no more than 64x64. This is ideal 64 megabyte video cards.

Best Visual Compromise / FPS Compromise Config
Create a file called autoexec.cfg in your Doom3 'Base' directory and add the relevant config text
This is the best all round config for singleplayer, offering a good compromise between visual quality and
you wish to try more tailored configs (excellent, high, medium and low)

64 Megabyte Video Cards
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "1"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta r_preload "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_shadows "0"
seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
seta g_bloodEffects "1"
seta g_decals "0"
seta g_showBrass "0"
seta g_muzzleFlash "0"
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
128 Megabyte+ Video Cards
seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "1"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta r_preload "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_shadows "0"
seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
seta g_bloodEffects "1"
seta g_decals "0"
seta g_showBrass "0"
seta g_muzzleFlash "0"
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAR

Its creepy out here!

Usually sound in ID’s games is considered second fiddle to rendering but this time they have done something cool. They have incorporated true 5.1 channel surround sound. You will be able to here audio choirs around you if a monster is sneaking behind and outer ambient sound like hissing sound of broken pipes, zombies creeping nearby. Surround sound truly does wonder to the game and truly justify the realism in the visual front provided you have a 5.1 sound card and speakers. Sound in Doom 3 is surely heart pounding. In the music department usually a soundtrack loops through out the entire stage but this time music will be according to the state you are if you are fighting the music will ran very fast if you just roaming the music will ran slowly in the background in an ambience sense. Be it hissing pipes, moaning zombies, untimely gunfights, its top notch. Total immersion, this title surely rocks when it comes to sound all adding for a creepy walk in hell.

Be prepared to be scared

It should be noted that Doom III is not after Doom I & II there are many elements that make Doom III different than the first two games. You, as the hero assume control of the character who is a UAC marine. UAC being a powerfully corporation are conducting some experiments on some super secret technology but because of some miss calculations and arrogance the scientists open a portal to hell. Now it’s your job to get the hell out of there and stop this massacre. Such an engrossing storyline, larger than life graphics, it’s surely gonna revolutionize the gaming industry one again like the first game did. Monsters are always been the key factor when Doom is considered & this time the great ones is back like the Pinky demon it can break through any thing be it walls, glass, the Akaka demon the big round strawberry but lot more scary in Doom III, Imp the fire ball wielding demon strafes better the most Quakers, Hell Knight is one of the most massive monsters in Doom III looking at the size of this monster anybody will piss his pants, don’t think its gonna be a easy ride they will strafe, take pot shots at you, but you will not be fighting alone all the weapons from the original game will be here with some new ones. It’s a good feeling to have that shotgun, bust open a door, go into a room filled with demons. But one thing is that you would not be able to use the flashlight when using a gun and when you are using the flashlight you will not be able to use the gun, it adds to a certain degree of chilling effect if for instant you go into a room that is dark, flickering tube lights but cannot see anything as you open the flashlight, suddenly a demon comes in front of you from nowhere. Be prepared form some heart pounding action. If you are in a vacation and cannot figure out what to do grab a copy and be very very brave.

I RATE THIS GAME:- 5*

Expansion Pack

DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
An expansion edition of the graphically immersive horror-shooter series. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil continues the frightening and gripping single player experience of the blockbuster original. The title also features even more multiplayer action with support for up to eight players in all new maps. Through the discovery of a timeless and evil artifact you now hold the powers of Hell in your hands, and the demons have come to hunt you down and take it back. Following the events of DOOM 3 and featuring new locations, characters and weapons, including the return of the double-barreled shotgun, plus a weapon like the gravity gun in Half-life 2.Also with hordes of new demons and original ones plus with potent power ups prepare for one hell of a battle. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil expands the terrifying action that fans and critics have been raving about. The title requires the full retail version of DOOM 3.

Source : IGN

Feel free to mail me at maina231@gmail.com or maina231@yahoo.com for queries and other related materials.

This walkthrough is copyrighted material Pranjal. P.Gogoi 2004-2005 ©. Ask for my permission to use it on your site.

Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, and all related materials are Copyrighted and accredited to ID Software and Activision.

Windows and all related materials are Copyright material of Microsoft Corporation

moshel

Padawan
ok i liked doom 3 but the point where i am it gets boring. man i have to jump bridges and stuff. at ALpha labs level 4. i didnt even know there was a jump button in that game, until i reached this level.

and now its getting on my nerves and if there are any more crazy jumps, i am uninstalling this game.

the sounds and graphics is real good. especially when in the above level we get that scary voice saying "where is my baby", man that was scary on a loud Altec lansing 621.

but still i hate crazy jumps.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
1. Why come out with a review 8 months after the game actually came out and every self-respecting gamer who has the hardware to run the game has finished it? Heard of Resurrection of Evil?
I think IGN, GameSpy, GameSpot, Game this Game that have reviewd the game already.
2. What is the Akaka demon? Care to explain? I think you meant the Cacodemon.
3. The game has no music to speak of. All the "music" is made from ambient noises and not actual music.
4. The story is a rehash of the original DOOM storyline

pranjal_halo2freak said:
This walkthrough is copyrighted material Pranjal. P.Gogoi 2004-2005 ©. Ask for my permission to use it on your site.
I don't see any walkthrough. Do you?

geek_rohit

In the zone
:shock: Walkthrough!!! Where mate. And DOOM III was released way back. Why review it now!!! :roll:
@ anuraag_01 you gotta be kidding dude!!! :shock: DOOM III on 486!!! :shock: Even the heavyweights are brought down to the knees then a 486 :D

devilhead_satish

In the zone
He's right. There was just one page of review with more screenshots than text and all i came to know from that was Doom 3 is not THE game for you to upgrade your system and start shooting zombies down. Way to go Pranjal good review. Expecting more from you.

metalman

anuraag_01 --> just trying to pull the imp out of DOOM's ass :twisted:

Game is a kickass....!!!!

At least the horror effect , the flashlight......etc

sandeeprao

Broken In
guys doom III was reviewed by skoar last time.
so no point in typing that whole godam review here.
he also mentioned on how to play doom III with just 128mb ram

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I'm struggling to finish RoE on Nightmare mode in the last level in Hell. I have never seen a game or a level as tough as this. There's no ammo in Hell, just three corpses for the Artifact, and the Maledict is a royal pain. I think I will finally be forced to use cheats today to finish the game. Serves me right for picking the Nightmare mode.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@enoonmai: Sure there is ammo in hell-right before you teleport to the Maledict, there's a bunch of ammo, health, and corpses to help you reload. Or maybe Nightmare mode does not have them. Basically, you gotta use Hell-Time, and then empty your BFG on the Maledict. If you run out of BFG, then switch to Rocket Launcher and pump some rockets real quick. There are two bodies in the arena so that gives you 5 chances in all to use Hell Time :D

sushir

Broken In
guys cool down

no need to kick ass.... just chill in here !
doom 3 is awesome and i uninstalled it after playing half way thru ... i got bored

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@Nemesis: I finally finished the game with the godmode cheat. I couldn't get around it. I know about using the Artifact's 3 abilities and pumping BFG cells and rockets into the Maledict, but the problem was that the Nightmare Mode was exactly like its name - a frigging nightmare. No ammo, little medikits, tons of Hell Knights and Mancubi, and not to mention that even the Forgotten Souls were very damaging on health. One good thing was you never run out of stamina in Hell, so I always sprinted. I never should've played the game the first time in Nightmare mode.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
LOL. So that's a lesson learned, eh? The game got surprisingly hard towards the end especially hell. I can imagine what it would've felt like on Nightmare :wink: The Maledict is much harder than the Saboath (or whatever was the name of the final demon) in DOOM3. That dude was the easiest thing in the game. Soul Cube him 4 times and that's it. The game gives you enough Imps and Wraiths to charge up the Cube and you could run around because of unlimited stamina :wink: Ahhh...Fond memories. DOOM3 was simply awesome :D

Mikwiththestick

Nightmare is childs play man I liked it when doom 1 and 2 where out then you could make your own monsters for every dificalty now its just dumb I hope they make Doom 4 so that you can make wads again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom