OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes.

Gameplay is expected to be revealed at E3. It is mentioned in that teaser.

Also, they have already been working on it for a long time. They even revealed the gameplay secretly to a few selected journalists at QuakeCon last year.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Till that time, we can enjoy the remake of DOOM 2 in UE4 :mrgreen:

Alpha v0.2 download - Doom 2 Remake Game - Mod DB

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Its been stated it will be more actiony like the original doom games than the pure survival horror of Doom 3.. Honestly, I loved Doom3 but Id be inclined to see what they have in store anyway :D

Also, I want in-monster fighting to be back.. A clusterf*ck of Arch-ville vs a single CyberDemon.. Oh damn the memories

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Arch ville cant ressurect CyberDemon, Mastermind or another Arch ville.. except this, it can ressurect anything, provided its not blown to bits using rockets/plasma

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Till that time, we can enjoy the remake of DOOM 2 in UE4 :mrgreen:

Alpha v0.2 download - Doom 2 Remake Game - Mod DB

They got a no go response from bethesda. There wont be any progress in this mod. Unless they change the name and remove any likeness to doom.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^Thats really strange considering the fact that bethesda themselves are promoting Skywind development..
Perhaps its because of a different engine altogether

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^Thats really strange considering the fact that bethesda themselves are promoting Skywind development..

Perhaps they would have changed their mind if it were Id Tech 5 instead of Unreal engine.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

It's because the mod is standalone. So, you are not buying the original game to play the mod.

I think Skywind requires users to purchase original game.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It's because the mod is standalone. So, you are not buying the original game to play the mod.

I think Skywind requires users to purchase original game.

AFAIK, Skywind uses both Morrowind's and Skyrim's assets. That would mean that you have to own both if you want to play Skywind.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I never knew about this article, this guy was present at the Doom 4 gameplay reveal at QuakeCon and here is his description of the gameplay: Doom [4] reveal first impressions - Doomworld Forums

Let's get right to the point. No questions were taken and very little was said. About 10 to 15 minutes were shown on a PC with someone playing live. The following are my observations, presented as objectively as I can manage:

Doom is a remake of the original and is set on Mars, though additional locations seem likely.

The two maps that were shown resemble Doom 3, but are much more expansive, open and busy.

The player's helmet provides overlayed information, replacing the static HUDs of the previous games.

Early on, the player rips the arm off a dead marine and uses his hand to access an otherwise restricted area.

The combat uniform looks very high tech and facilitates melee attacks, such as crushing an enemy's head.

Nearly all enemies shown appear to have cybernetic elements, though they are equally as organic.

The layouts encourage jumping, with the player leaping very high and gracefully.

Barrels create enormous explosions.

The first map had a geo-thermal theme, with lots of sparks and lava. The doors use the classic sound and eveven look the part. Cargo ships or possibly drones could be seen flying in the distance.

The second map featured a slightly hellish area that felt very Doom 64-ish, complete with hanging body parts.

Player movement ranges from creeping slow to very fast, less so than Doom 1 but way more than Doom 3.

The most human looking enemies looked very grotesque and used weapons that resembled light beams and possibly concentrated fire.

The chainsaw, pistol, shotgun, super shotty, rocket launcher and plasma rifle were shown. No sign of reloading or alt fire.

Enemies react to where they're hit. Many gibbed in a variety of ways depending on the weapon. The chainsaw in particular tore zombies down the middle in an extremely brutal and visceral manner, and it was different every time.

The revenant has a jet pack and killed the player by ripping his arms off and beating him to death.

The mancubus had an extremely gruesome death involving having a piece of its gut shoved down its throat.

Every weapon seemed to haves lot of power to it. The shotguns have a very good range.

Sound effects were punchy and meaty. The music combined dark ambient and indusrial. No sign of metal or guitars, period.

The overall visual style is very detailed and resembles all of the Dooms, with a lot of Doom 3 thrown in, but with far more going on.

The player can jump on top of enemies and perform brutal melee attacks.

As for comparisons to Brutal Doom, the blood and gore is very extreme, but appropriate within the context of the combat. The melee attacks never slow down gameplay and happen within the POV in the span of a couple of seconds.

Each enemy looks unique and the classics are recognized easily. The cyberdemon was shown at the end, but no combat ensued.

There is an implication that the monsters are UAC experiments gone wrong.

No sign of help from NPCs.

Graphics aren't groundbreaking, but does look much better than Rage and significantly better than TNO. Overall, they're true to the gritty industrial tendencies of the series, complimented by very moody use of light and shadow.

The game will have multiplayer and will appear on XBOX1, PS4 and PC with a promise of 1080p 60FPS.

- - - Updated - - -

From the same thread:

Marty Stratton, executive producer of the game, said that it begins just outside of an outpost on Mars at the beginning of a demon invasion. He said there's more to the story, but that was all they were going to disclose at this point.

First off, I can confirm that what we were shown was NOT a pre-recorded demo, it was real-time game play that an id employee was playing on stage. As for the basics, I can't confirm or disconfirm whether there was regen health. I don't recall him picking up a lot of health, and the player HUD was mostly obscured by the head of the person sitting in front of me. There was a weapon wheel graphical display on the screen of the player helmet, and the HUD also notified him of things like atmospheric changes and on one occasion, a 'detected threat' (an enemy that had already come into view.) No cinematics at all from what I saw, with the possible exception of the very end of the demo (more on that later). There were a couple points where the control was briefly taken from the player, such as when he was hoisting himself up onto a ledge that he'd jumped up to grab. Most of the classic weapons made appearances: the pump shotgun, the double barrel, the plasma rifle, rocket launcher and chainsaw.

Graphics wise, it was mostly comparable to what was seen in the teaser. Some of the particles seemed a bit unfinished, but there were so damn many of them flying around at once that it made it pleasing to look at. Texture resolution is definitely a big step above what we've come to expect from id Tech 5, although since Marty said they're now onto id Tech 6(66) it definitely seems they've made tech changes. Much more specular maps and reflective glimmers on surfaces than in Rage or Wolfenstein.

The player started off in one of those old airlock rooms, where he did this fancy little tossing and catching of his space helmet in his hands before putting it on. ****ing splendid animation right there. Great animation all around in the rest of the demo too. The player walks out into this vast cavernous area, and below him is a huge pool of either lava or molten steel. He was walking on a series of walkways that seemed to network to a central hub. Basically, think of a sci-fi type installation set inside Mount Doom. Design of the space installation was very reminiscent of the incredibly detailed intricate geometry from Dead Space, and the dank corridors from Aliens. Also reminded me of the final level from Rage, as far as the high tech sci-fi detail and designs went. This design integrity was pretty consistent throughout the demo, coupled with
some more industrial type areas, and beautiful alien terrain. All in all, gorgeous environments.

So after maybe a couple minutes of quietly wandering around the walkways, he starts encountering enemies, in the form if possessed marines using weapons and Imps that seemed even more acrobatic and reflexive than in Doom 3. Overall, combat in the game seemed challenging, and not just because of the number of enemies, but because of how spaced apart they were. The multi-leveled nature of the outdoor environment, coupled with the many large crates and other props later on, made it easy for enemies to attack from many different angles. All the enemies that made appearances have already been detailed, so I won't waste any time talking about those. They were easily recognizable without being anywhere close to mirror copies of the originals or the ones from Doom 3. Overall, the enemy designs were closer to Doom 3.

Don't remember how much deformable geometry there was, but procedural damage on enemies was abundant. As mentioned, the player was able to perform 'finishing moves' on enemies, mostly Imps, which involve head stomping, limb tearing, innard gouging, and probably four or five beautiful executions with the chainsaw, during a segment where he tore through a line of Imps. Shotgun and double barreled shotgun could blow chunks off enemies, and in one case, blew an Imp right in half.

All this makes it sound like endless combat, but it wasn't. There were quiet, tense moments as well, such as a sequence where the player has to open a biometric scanner. He does so by tearing off the arm of a nearby corpse and scanning it. This leads me to believe there will be puzzle solving here, at least on some level. Objects of importance were not highlighted or anything either, which was good.

There was another sequence where he walked through a decimated corridor with walls caved in and wires and pipes hanging everywhere, with holes and gaps in the floor. There were bodies and pieces of bodies dangling everywhere, among glowing pentagrams. No enemies, just ominous atmosphere here.

Speaking of atmosphere, it seems like they're going with a mix of soundtrack and ambient industrial soundscapes here. A bit reminiscent of Doom 64.

I don't remember there being no reloading, not sure where that came from.

There was a certain strange feeling I had during the demo, like something was out of place. About halfway through, I realized what it was: I NEVER see a game with this type of visual realism where the player can move and maneuver at this speed. Make no mistake: the fast guy from the id Tech 1 games is back, except his freedom of movement is closer to Quake 3 Arena. (No, this is NOT a parkour game, and the movement is not that exaggerated or overpowered, I'm just using the comparison to give you a better idea.) The enemies are faster too, but the player is faster still. The player speed and the type of graphical realism are like two different things your brain is not used to processing together in modern games, or at least that was my thought on it.

The end of the demo happened when the player opened a big door to see the cyber demon from the teaser, which grips the door frame as it leans into the camera and roars. Cue the fade back into the Doom title screen.

The only things I didn't really like was that there were ammo and item pickups spraying from enemy bodies that were highlighted (the only instance I can think of where items were highlighted.) I bring that up because it was the only thing I saw that really seemed out of place to me. The player's visor display would sometimes highlight enemies, which I didn't really care for, seemed too Crysis to me. Certain elements could use work, sure, like some of the sounds from enemies being given a bit more variety. The only major graphical elements that I could think of that were missing were things like lens flares and crepuscular rays from clouds(both a bit understandable, given the environment).

So what are my overall impressions? If this demo is indicative of anything, we've got a pretty spectacular game coming. There were times during the demo where I was just saying '****, ****, HOLY ****', and I have the feeling I'll be doing it again when I play it.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, Doom's gameplay has been made public.

Bethesda's official Doom gameplay trailer:

netizen3000

GAME ON !!!
:) Promising game play can't wait
I too agree, the pickup items seemed out of place it just doesn't give the horror feel

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think he means that it seems too arcade-ish. But then again, the original Doom was somewhat arcade-ish and this one is a reboot of the original.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Doom seems like nice mindless fun, but at this point I don't have much confidence on it. It seems too generic with no context on the storyline. I understand that the original Doom 1 and 2 didn't have any significant storyline either. But a lot of games have set the standard higher since then and this current Doom's formula seems too stale in this generation. It's possible that they could reveal some barebones story lines in the future. But for now, its just seems like any other shooter, just on a bigger budget.

Top Bottom