Does using a laptop on AC power most of the time, harm the battery ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
Well I use my laptop mostly at home or wherever I take it there is a power outlet, so if I use it on battery power most of the time, will it harm the performance of the battery when im running on battery power? Also how often should I drain the battery? I do it every alternate day or so now... should I drain it less frequently?

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
No it doesn't instead not using the lappy without ac power reduces battery life.
Also on AC your lappy gives higher performance.

dd_wingrider

In the zone
I use my laptop all the time on AC but yes keep in mind to drain out its battery twice in a week. So, if you keep doing that, i dont think so there will any problem at all.

So is it possible to use a laptop as a download machine whilst running it on AC power?

The day i bought my laptop i stopped using my desktop to download movies, Have not faced any problems till now, even now its running since last 2 days, downloading prison break season 2:D

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
my dell inspiron runs like a server :D

dont worry just keep the laptop well ventilated and you will have no probs ;)

_

aminsagar123

Journeyman
i do the same thing...no problems at all... :D

I use my laptop all the time on AC but yes keep in mind to drain out its battery twice in a week. So, if you keep doing that, i dont think so there will any problem at all.

The day i bought my laptop i stopped using my desktop to download movies, Have not faced any problems till now, even now its running since last 2 days, downloading prison break season 2:D

Pathik

Google Bot
If possible, remove the battery while running on AC power if it is full to prevent unnecessary charge-discharge cycles. Nope, BTW it isn't harmful.

Keep you laptop well ventilated, and you can run it for whatever amount of time on AC. Laptop batteries have an average 900-1400 charge/discharge cycle life. Li-Ion batteries work best if they are not fully discharged regularly (i mean on a daily basis). I will recommend you to completely discharge your batteries thrice a month, once every 10 days, that is. This will keep them in good shape even when not in use.

@pathik: Removing battery is something that i won't recommend coz for one, you loose the benefit that laptop batteries provide, peace of mind from powercuts. If you loose power suddenly, you may loose data. Specially laptops are designed with always available power in mind. So that may hurt. Also charged batteries, even when put out, get discharged eventually. Secondly, the battery slots are not designed for frequent removal of battery from them and may get wear and tear easily.

evewin89

In the zone
any1 knows the approx price of dell inspiron 1525 6 cell battery? is it possible 2 use 9 cell battery in a laptop which is originally supplied wit 6 cell battery.

Laptop batteries by Dell are not sold online in India but they are priced about Rs 5500 more than the six cell battery. Call their customer support no to get the details. Toll Free no is 1800- 425- 4026 (can be dialed only from a landline) or paid no is 080-25068026. Customer Care Executive will happily help you with your purchase.

Yes its possible to use 9 cell battery in any laptop. You laptop will just become a lil more bulky and slightly raised from behind :D

Last edited:
OP
mikeon

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
hey everyone thanks for replying, I guess ill discharge my battery less frequently now...

NauticA

Broken In
how should we drain out the battery completey..?
means to what extent or should it switch off on its own?
or like when it gets to somwthing like 5% remaining..?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
If possible, remove the battery while running on AC power if it is full to prevent unnecessary charge-discharge cycles. Nope, BTW it isn't harmful.
I fully support this statement. Running on AC 100% of time with battery in there killed two of my batteries. If you are sure that you'll be running on AC all the while then disconnect the battery. But make sure that you plug in the battery at least once every 10 or 15 dayz and complete one discharge and charge cycle.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
It won't hurt but do the battery maintenance once or twice every month. It is necessary to keep the battery life long. You can find Battery Maintenance option in Power Manager.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I fully support this statement. Running on AC 100% of time with battery in there killed two of my batteries.

100 % true

If you are sure that you'll be running on AC all the while then disconnect the battery.

This is fine provided you take your AC power supply through a UPS !!!!

But make sure that you plug in the battery at least once every 10 or 15 dayz and complete one discharge and charge cycle.

Correct again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom