Does OS app count really matter when buying a phone

OS apps count matter during purchase

• Total voters

$hadow

Geek in making
I have seen a few time now that we give OS preference when buying a new phone or tab but do you really take the app count before thinking of buying one.
For me when I buy a phone I look for
Battery Life
Camera
Build quality
If I can find these three in one phone I will buy it overlooking the small drawbacks.
So now post your thought over here instead of poisoning the other thread.
And if in case you start a flame war keep it in limit and please do behave like educated geeks.
Happy debating

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
well, I'd like to have quality apps, where devs listen to honest feedback and suggestions, with an active app store (new apps to look forward to and regular price drops), and sensible critical reviews that matter instead of pages and pages of spam
but does not matter to me how many thousands of apps are there, just that there is a steady stream of good ones
and apps are more important than the phone itself, because the device may come and go, but the apps remain
so is the answer yes or no?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
It does not matter for me.

I buy (well bought) only after the RAM, internal storage and other such H/W aspects were found as per my expectation.

I know where from I can the apps I need and it really doesn't matter to me what apps are pre-installed. Most of the time the already installed apps are useless and 'not applicable' for me.

I know many sensible users like me take back up of their phone with Titanium and just use a 'restore' on new device.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Battery Life
Camera
Build quality

^^my thoughts exactly!!
I would like to add,it depends on preference really
how many apps can one use
how many apps are important enough to ditch a platform or hop onto it
UI,perks etc as well

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I have seen a few time now that we give OS preference when buying a new phone or tab but do you really take the app count before thinking of buying one.
Battery Life
Camera
Build quality
If I can find these three in one phone I will buy it overlooking the small drawbacks.
So now post your thought over here instead of poisoning the other thread.
And if in case you start a flame war keep it in limit and please do behave like educated geeks.
Happy debating

My priorities while buying a phone are

1. DISPLAY :- Have the best or one of the best or GTFO

2. PERFORMANCE :- I do not care about apps opening in microseconds, the interface should be fluid and the phone should be able to play the latest games and high def movies without breaking a sweat.

3. Battery Life :- Atleast two days on a single charge.

Other factors : Expandable storage, a good camera and an OK build quality

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
i thought that there were many who were looking forward to speak regarding this thread. But looks like they avoided this thread.

eureka

Banned
I voted Yes, while I believe in No. App count never mattered, what matters most is how is the quality of the existing apps. The topic title is contradictory, therefore my vote is too.

The title should have been "Do Apps Matter To You On A Smartphone", or simply ask for OS preference directly itself, or something like that.

It's all about apps anyway, if you want a phone which could just do calls and texts and those basic stuffs then there's no point of this topic! I read somewhere that a person, geeks mostly (and I think that's what matters here anyway) unlocks his/her phone 50 times a day, what do you do when you unlock a phone? LOL. People fight over petty and already known stuffs, it's a trademark of human mind.

Last edited:

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
Its all about the apps otherwise android would have been failing and windows and blackberry devices being in the lead

imho blackberry has the best os 10.x out there

its my own opinion. I'm not contradicting anyone.

the voting will tell results

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
[MENTION=178243]gamefreak4770k[/MENTION]

Please feel free to voice your opinions as long as it is civil and logical and not trolling. The last thing we want on our forum is people avoiding discussions. The whole purpose of the forum would be defeated. And if you have any concerns do pm me.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
For me, the no. 1 priority is battery life... And, then, screen clarity... Don't use the camera that much and bountiful apps and fluid UI is desirable but certainly not a deal-breaker for me!!!
That being said, can't wait for the Yu Yureka to be released!!! :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Apps are the life force for a phone. No use of multicore processor and GHz of frequency and GB's of RAM if there are no apps available to make use of it.

Appcount matters since diversity of the app is very important since a single good app might be called monopoly.

Example,

I recently got to know that the Flashlight and Compass I was using was filled with Adwares that use to show full screen ads even when I was not using the app. I immediately looked for alternatives in the Play store and download an app that was not intrusive or less intrusive. This wouldn't be possible if say there was just a single app which was good but needed a lot of permissions.

SO,

The app count matters since it provides diversity and competition to apps while letting consumers choose the best app suitable to their needs.

BUT,

On the other hand if a consumer doesn't want to be bothered by choices OR doesn't rely on the mobile to do things other than texting and calling, for them count doesn't really matter, only quality does.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
imho blackberry has the best os 10.x out there

Yup. Just as an OS, and not counting any other factors, sure.

Thing is, no matter which phone we have, everyone in India is just using their smartphones as glorified feature phones with touchscreens, the usage patters are exactly the same and in no way smart, because we don't even have that option.
No veoh, no netflix, no pandora, no spotify, no hulu, no deezer, no lastfm... we have none of the good stuff in India. Lastfm was actually withdrawn, so it's like we are regressing instead of progressing. One Flyte was there, which was one of the few if not the only service that allowed you to save songs in a choice of bit rates, but even that we didn't adopt. Ok so Saavn, Gaana and Wynk have somewhat decent pop libraries now, but not that expansive with pro tier features.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
@OP Why haven't you posted this thread in fight club

@MODS please move

- - - Updated - - -

Mods please do only if seems appropriate

I didn't post it in fight club coz I do not want a fight on it. I would like to see a healthy discussion where every one makes their opinion not bash each other for a certain opinion.

Top Bottom