Documents & settings too big???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharat_r

In the zone
By documents & settings folder seems to occupy 4GB+ of disk space.
Is this normal?

*img440.imageshack.us/img440/8119/driveinfohr2.jpg
(image taken using Ashampoo Win Optimizer 2008 )

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
bharat_r said:
By documents & settings folder seems to occupy 4GB+ of disk space.
Is this normal?

I think u have downloaded much and chosen the Documents and Settings folder to save the downloaded files:D . If not, check if u have set to download a zip, rar or iso or similar file with large size and did not completed downloading.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
do you use ThunderBird orsimilar mail client? if yes- then its normal, coz these mail clients d/l all files (emails) to "Application Data" under your user name.

e.g. TB saves all d/led emails here -> C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

Google earth does the same.

btw this happens when you save files to "My Documents".

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
Ya I do use thunder bird..guess I'll have to delete all the mails in it... I have it configured for 4 ids!!
and I'll clean up the my documents.Point taken.

Other than that??

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
bharat_r said:
*img440.imageshack.us/img440/8119/driveinfohr2.jpg
(image taken using Ashampoo Win Optimizer 2008 )

BTW U showed that ur Docu & sett. folder takes 4GB and from the pic it is 27.40%. Then the total HDD size is
Code:
4GB * (100/27.4) = 14.6GB

However, the pagefile size is usually varies between 1.5 to 2 GB and from the pic, it is 4.43%. Thus the Total HDD space is
Code:
maximum      2GB * (100/4.43) = 45.15GB
minimum     1.5GB * (100/4.43) = 33.86GB

Isn't it too confusing to see only one HDD's various sizes.:D :D :D

I don't think that Thunderbird is a problem, unless you have very big files as emails.:mad: Because, I also use it and has 5 Gmail address in it with about 500 emails. And I am sure that no space more than 10MB is taken, believe me it's only 10MB.:)

Last edited:
OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
hey lots of math !!
The partition size of C drive is 20 GB(shows as 18.6 GB)..

I installed Vista transformation pack & uninstalled it...

I suspect Vista transformation pack has done something. Maybe left something behind after uninstall?
btw I have Vistamizer installed..

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
debsuvra said:
I don't think that Thunderbird is a problem, unless you have very big files as emails.:mad: Because, I also use it and has 5 Gmail address in it with about 500 emails. And I am sure that no space more than 10MB is taken, believe me it's only 10MB.:)
thats coz maybe you dont get much attachements :p

see this
*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/untitled-20071103112035.jpg

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hm, run a disk cleanup, and then go to the folder with hidden files enabled and clear out whatever you think is junk (Mostly under Application Data there exists old application Setup files [For repair], you can clean that and maybe Vista Trans. Pack as well)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
One more thing, there is one Dr Watson kernel debugger file (text file icon). It will usually be in documents and settings->all users. I do not know what the hell it is, but sometimes I have seen it become 2 GB in size. Reasons?? Anyway then I go to command prompt and delete the file and reboot the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom