Doctors illegally removed wombs from poor women in Chhattisgarh

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Shame!!!

Doctors in Chhattisgarh performed hysterectomies on poor village women without a valid medical reason in order to claim money from a national insurance scheme, the state's health minister said on Wednesday.

Under the programme launched in 2008, doctors can claim up to 30,000 rupees to treat poor families, providing a safety net to help pay for expensive hospital surgeries. But critics say the programme was exploited by unscrupulous doctors.

"The women were deliberately ill-advised by doctors who removed their uterus to get money," state Health Minister Amar Agrawal told Reuters.

"As per my information the doctors have so far managed to make roughly 2 crore (20 million) rupees in recent months by removing uteruses without any valid medical reasons."

The state government examined 1,800 hysterectomies performed in the impoverished state as part of an investigation into the alleged scam. Many of the operations were suspected to have been performed illegally, government sources told Reuters.

A woman cannot bear children after the removal of a uterus and the procedure is often accompanied by the removal of ovaries, which some studies have linked to early onset of osteoporosis and other serious side effects.

Raman Kataria, a physician with a non-profit organisation in rural Chhattisgarh, said government policy was abused because of the absence of an external governing body and standard treatment guidelines.

"There has to be a regulatory body," he said. "It cannot be left to the devices of these care providers."

Multiple pregnancies, early childbearing, malnutrition and traumatic home deliveries make rural women in India susceptible to multiple problems of the uterus.

A similar scandal was reported in 2010 by media in Andhra Pradesh, where many illiterate village women between 20 and 40 years of age underwent hysterectomies.

A recent Thomson Reuters TrustLaw poll, based on parameters such as quality of health services, education levels and the threat of sexual violence, ranked India as the worst country to be a woman in the G20 group of nations.

Source

d3p

PowerHouse
Oh Lord, what is happening in India :(
I literally stopped watching TV these days...

If you stop watching TV, then it will never stop happening.

INDIAN's making the future of INDIA, BRIGHT !!!!........

Recent experience.

Last year September month, i was not feeling well. I was getting fever, cough, running nose & body ache, sometimes it used to touch 103...
I visited Apollo & the doctor there just blindly suggested me have medicines by telling its a normal viral Fever. Also asked to report back after three days.

Still after taking medications, i was not feeling well. I visited him on the mentioned dates & this time it was a different doctor. The moment i gave prescriptions & i told about the symptoms, she told me it might be Typhoid.

She suggested me to have a blood check up. I did the same & same day evening i got the reports.
After collecting the reports, i met the same previous doctor in the evening time.

That MoFo asked me, "Who asked you to have the blood test ??" other than asking anything else.

First thing, i was surprised with the behavior of the doctor & later he told me i have severe Typhoid. Also mentioned clearly, i can't travel abroad in this condition.He prescribed me medicine for next thirty days [30 days].

On a second thought, i felt something phishy. I took an appointment in St. Johns hospital & visited the next day. I showed them the reports & had the same blood test done once more. I was informed its a viral & NO CLEAR SYMPTOMS of TYPHOID. They suggested me few different medicines. After two days, i was alright & back on my leg.

I took an oath "Never trust, bloody money sucking SOB's here". "Be Healthy & try to avoid Hospitals & INDIAN DOCTORS to the MAX...."

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot
we trust no one but doctors....and these are ready to do anything for easy money...shame on you greedy , corrupted and pathetic doctors :(

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Last year September month, i was not feeling well. I was getting fever, cough, running nose & body ache, sometimes it used to touch 103...
I visited Apollo & the doctor there just blindly suggested me have medicines by telling its a normal viral Fever. Also asked to report back after three days.

Still after taking medications, i was not feeling well. I visited him on the mentioned dates & this time it was a different doctor. The moment i gave prescriptions & i told about the symptoms, she told me it might be Typhoid.

She suggested me to have a blood check up. I did the same & same day evening i got the reports.
After collecting the reports, i met the same previous doctor in the evening time.

That MoFo asked me, "Who asked you to have the blood test ??" other than asking anything else.

First thing, i was surprised with the behavior of the doctor & later he told me i have severe Typhoid. Also mentioned clearly, i can't travel abroad in this condition.He prescribed me medicine for next thirty days [30 days].

On a second thought, i felt something phishy. I took an appointment in St. Johns hospital & visited the next day. I showed them the reports & had the same blood test done once more. I was informed its a viral & NO CLEAR SYMPTOMS of TYPHOID. They suggested me few different medicines. After two days, i was alright & back on my leg.

I took an oath "Never trust, bloody money sucking SOB's here". "Be Healthy & try to avoid Hospitals & INDIAN DOCTORS to the MAX...."

Well, this is not only your experience, it's almost the case of every part of India.

Though the doctors won't agree and specially after this Satyamev Jayate episode. :p

Anyway, nowadays I don't trust docs, and in any case if they asks me for any kind of tests, I suggest another doc before going for any.

Though I don't visit docs much. As in my area, there is a medical shop and the compounder is really knowledgeable.

So I just take medicines form him and it works then and there. So I avoid docs for general cases.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
After Paying 5-6 Lacs of donations and over 10 lacs of fees for completing their medical courses, the doctors would only be so much thirsty for money. We cannot expect every doctor to be honest in a country like India where what a doctor says, people believe him blindly. Some are bound to exploit this vulnerability. Start tracing the root, and you won't know where it ends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom