Do you follow the ESRB rating strictly???

Do you follow the ESRB rating strictly while playing?

• It is compulsory.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
let me tell u of a recent incident:
I was at planet m and this 40 something guy comes up and asks the sales guy for a game for his 12yr old nephew. The sales guy dipped in and gave him Doom3!!! The 40 something guy didnt know abt ratings so he was going to buy it.
His eyes fell on the warning lable reading 17+. when he asked the sales guy the sales guy told him it was the diffuculty level!!! and he fell for it! Can u believe that. later when i asked the sales guy why he did that he said: "bcoz doom3 wasnt selling well !"

it was really the height of ignorance.

immagine the 12year old kids reaction when he starts playing the game!!!

Charley

Just Do It
shaunak said:
His eyes fell on the warning lable reading 17+. when he asked the sales guy the sales guy told him it was the diffuculty level!!! and he fell for it! Can u believe that. later when i asked the sales guy why he did that he said: "bcoz doom3 wasnt selling well !"

it was really the height of ignorance.

immagine the 12year old kids reaction when he starts playing the game!!!

This is what happens when ratings are given.

Thats RATINGS for you. :lol:

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
well i just take a look at it to get d idea of d game's maturity level....though its compulsory n it shud be given as some games really shud not be bothered by young ones....yes but i dont efect my decision on d ratings.
cheers

akshar

Broken In
That is why everything is going wrong in this world.

There is some purpose behind it try to understand why these ratings are put.

Charley

Just Do It
Re: That is why everything is going wrong in this world.

akshar said:
There is some purpose behind it try to understand why these ratings are put.

That is right .. But how many bother abt it .. I havent seen many of my friends or relatives follow it.

moshel

Padawan
drvarunmehta said:
Even I don't care. But they have to put it there for legal reasons because of parents groups protesting the sale of violent games to underage kids.

well the old lady who busted out the whole Hot coffee thingy of gta had bought the game for her 14 yr old grand son. and then she sues rockstar ppl for it. the game was 17+. so in a way its just depends on parents whether they want to let their kid play a certain kinda game. and i am above 21 now so i can play any game.......

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Here's an interesting development that's related to the spirit of this thread.

Violent Games Bill Passes California Legislature -
Governor Schwarzenegger has 30 days to sign AB1179 or veto it; bill would take effect January 1.

The California Assembly has adjourned until next year, but not before squeezing a few bills in under the wire. One such bill was Assemblyman Leland Yee's AB1179, which looks to prohibit retailers from selling violent games to minors, lest they be fined $1,000 for each violation.

AB1179 was passed by the California Senate yesterday by a vote of 22-9. The bill then went back to the Assembly, where it was approved 65-7. Now the bill goes to the desk of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who must sign or veto the bill by October 9.

"Governor Schwarzenegger is no longer an action star but an elected representative of all Californians; I am hopeful that he will consider our children's best interests by signing this commonsense legislation into law and giving parents a necessary tool to raise healthy kids," said speaker pro tempore Yee in a statement.

If signed by Schwarzenegger, AB1179 would go into effect January 1, 2006.

Yee has previously introduced similar legislation to this effect, and while one such bill was signed into law by Schwarzenegger last year, it had been thoroughly watered down along the way. Yee's AB450 (which eventually became AB1179), stalled in the legislature earlier this year, but the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Hot Coffee scandal once again attracted public attention to the issue and spurred the bill out of its legislative limbo.

Yee's bill also would require violent games to be labeled as being for sale to adults only by way of a solid white "18" sticker no smaller than 2 inches by 2 inches on the front of the package; the "18" would be outlined in black. For an idea of how visible that sticker will be, keep in mind that Game Boy Advance boxes are slightly smaller than 5 inches by 5 inches.

The bill makes no mention of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) or its ratings system, instead offering its own definition of what constitutes a violent video game. According to the bill, that would be "a video game in which the range of options available to a player includes killing, maiming, dismembering, or sexually assaulting an image of a human being," so long as it's offensive to community standards and without artistic merit or allows players to hurt other characters "in a manner which is especially heinous, cruel, or depraved in that it involves torture or serious physical abuse to the victim." The bill also defines terms like heinous, cruel, and torture. However, with no definitive governing body set up to determine in advance which games fall into this category, it appears publishers and retailers will have to decide for themselves what fits the government's definition of a violent game, and worry about fines and legislation later.

Other states have instituted laws like this before, but previous attempts have been declared unconstitutional. At the moment, an Illinois law banning the sale of violent games to minors is being challenged, and the dispute is likely to be fought on a nationwide level in the coming months. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) called for federal legislation in the wake of the Hot Coffee scandal, though nothing has come of that yet.

Interestingly enough, Yee's bill, the full text of which is available by searching for AB1179 on the State Assembly's Web site, does not require labeling of games containing consensual sex of the sort that tipped off the Hot Coffee controversy in the first place.

Source: GameSpot

If California signs it, you can bet Hillary Clinton will pressurize New York into signing something like this, and it will only be a matter of time before a trickle-down effect makes sure almost every state in the US will sign it, making other countries follow suit. In the end, there should be harsher punishment against the people who sell the game to people without finding out who the game will be played by. The ratings exist for a reason, both in games and in movies, and it would only do our country a world of good if we enforced them as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom