Do SMPS's ( PSUs) have any compatibility issues with a UPS / CVT / Home UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-G

Broken In
To all Cooler master , Antec and Corsair PSU owners

Are you guys on a UPS / CVT or without it ?

Could you please post the make and ratings of your SMPS and UPSes / CVTs?

Please.

Thanks

PS 1: Very humbly I am requesting you all to spare some valuable time of your's and kindly let me know the details of your SMPS ( power Supply) and the UPS and / or CVTs you are using ( if at all you are using on / them ) .

PS 2: Am asking as I am planning to upgrade my SMPS , and my place is renowned for frequent power cuts , as of today I am on a local ( navtech , 450 watts ( so called ) SMPS and a so called home UPS from Microtek rated at 810 VA.

Somewhere on this site I read that PSU with a PFC ( power factor correction ) like the famous Corsair HX 620 watts , are not compatible with a UPS genrating a near sine wave .

Is it true ?

Do SMPS's have any compatibility issues with a UPS / CVT / Home UPS ( Inverter based )

Which power back up option and voltage stabilization / regulation option are peple here with a Corsair , Antec or Cooler Master SMPS ( with or without PFC ) excercising ?

What all are the feasible options for back up during power cuts ( which can be for hours ) for a person who wants a robust power supply like Corsair HX 620?

Thanks and regards

OP
B

Big-G

Broken In
Why isn't anyone responding to this thread ?

Is it beyond everyone here ?

If not about the compatibility issue atleast folks here can mention their smps and ups / cvt combinations

Incase this thing has been enlightened anywhere else here or on some other site atleast give me the link .

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Hi, just saw ur pm.... hate 2 say it but I dun have any of those brands u mentioned.. mine is PC Power and Cooling (a division of OCZ).. and I don't need any power backups where I'm living.. so sorry, am not sure about this compatibility that you are asking about. IMO, you should have at least 1 KVA UPS from APC if your system config draws out >600 W real power (true power in Watts).... ad supposedly you pair your config up with a LCD (Bump up UPS power rating O/P if you intend to use a monster CRT)

While I was living in India, my old config with a single 6800 GT/P4 HT 2.8 Gigs was paired with a 500W Corsair PSU and a 19" CRT.... never faced any problem with my 600 VA APC UPS (been using it for more than 2 years)...

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
^^^

Yup all the PSUs high end of course that give above 80% efficiency needs true sine wave as input which APC Back UPS cant provide. Only APC Smart series is compatible with such PSUs but those UPS' are damn costly.
I blew my PSU Corsair 620 Watt using with APC Back UPS 1000 VA

OP
B

Big-G

Broken In
Hey Bullzi , I read about your corsair screw up and felt sad about it as I was myself planning to go for the same thing , psu as well as the UPS.

So what have you done now to rectify the things -

Are you using Corsair now ?
If yes then with which UPS and if no then which PSU are you using?

What is the cost of the true sine wave UPS of 1000VA , I guess it must be pretty high .

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
cooler master extreme power 500W , apc 500va .no problems. what config do u intend to take ? is corsair hx620W needed ?

OP
B

Big-G

Broken In
sagargv

Does your PSU has an active PFC or a Passive PFC or no PFC ?

I see 2 models of 500 Watts on cooler master's site , one without any PFC and the other with a PFC but a passive one .

Bullzi's model is PFC and that is ACTIVE and hence the problem.

Here are the links -

*www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2259&id=4017

*www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2259&id=4015

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom