do i have to pay royalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i v registered with a web site which givs free java/mySql hosting ....
i v not tried it and i v got no exp. in hosting ...
i v the following queries ... plz try to answer them ....

1. if i use JSP or any other java technology and make money with it ...do i have to pay any royalty or buy and java s/w like J2EE or anything of that sort ..

2.if i use MySQL as database for the website ..... again sud i pay any money to some one ......

3. will i have any probs related to piracy or anything of that sort??

4.if i create a soccer related website or any general website related to info or forum relating to companies around the world ....
again do i have to pay royalty to futball clubs for using their club name ??

and do i have to pay royalty to companies for using their brand name ??

plz help me with these queries ....
thank you....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Java / J2EE (especially with JSP and servlets) are royalty free so you can use Java/JSP/servlets in your site without having the fear of having to pay royalty to Sun Microsystems. Same with mySQL, it falls under the GPL and is free to use in a hosting environment. You will not have any "piracy" related problems with Java/JSP/servlets/mySQL.

If you create a football or company-related website, you have to make sure you do not use content fromt the company or the team's websites or manuals/presskits, etc. without acknowledging that the work is copyright their respective owners on your website. This has to be very clear to avoid copyright infringement. Make sure you have a good disclaimer and make sure that you acknowledge the source of each information on the website (whether you modify it or not) However, if you use any commercial libraries in your codebase, then you might have to pay royalty or at least purchase rights for using the library. Third party libraries for Java and J2EE are not free.

If you "use" the name of a company or a football team for "commercial" monetary benefit use and you intend to make money off it, first you have to get explicit permission from the concerned person, sign the mandatory contracts in the presence of representatives and with lawyers from both yours and the company's end and then indeed, pay royalty on the money you make, that is, provided they even allow you to do so in the first place, which they usually don't.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
well Mr. enoonmai
thanks for ur nice reply ...

to begin with i just wanted to make a futball forum categorising ... as EPL , Spanish League ,bundes liga and then under EPL ..... make sub topics for ... chelsea fans , manu fans , liverpool fans ... n so on ....
i m just gonna mention the name of the club ..... for their fans to discuss club issues ....

do i have to pay royalty in case i just mention the name of the club ... ??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If you are not planning to make a commercial venture out of those names, go ahead and feel free to use whatever you see fit, as long as you credit copyright where its due.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
if i plan to make it commercial .....

enoonmai said:
If you are not planning to make a commercial venture out of those names, go ahead and feel free to use whatever you see fit, as long as you credit copyright where its due.

initially its not gonna b a commercial venture .... if it becomes a success ...then i plan to earn thru advertising .....

if i plan to make it commercial i v to take permission .... is that what u say ...??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
How are you planning to earn money through advertising? If its gonna involve the company/team name, then yes, you have to take explicit permission from them and pay royalty to them. Basically the idea is this, you cannot make money by using their name without their permission or giving them a cut - period. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom