dllhost.exe problem

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Can anybody please tell me what is dllhost.exe (COM Surrogate). Lately , I have noticed it is using huge amount of RAM like 5-6 GB . When I restart the problem is gone . It appears occasionally , Today It reached to 7GB RAM usage and I got a notification from windows telling me to close programs to free RAM. I restart and then the problem vanishes , What to do ?

I think its a program of windows which helps in computer to connect to the internet ....or sorta something..u can confirm it if u have windows 7
here i tell u go to task manager and click on the processes tab then select the option to show processes from all users ull then see the dllhost.exe if it is a system file then don't ever try so stop the process.......the only way is to reinstall windows .....itoo had the same problem a yr ago .......believe me just reinstall windows ! i bet its not a virus !!!!!!!!:p

Vignesh B

Youngling
Most probably a malware issue.
But since, dllhost.exe (COM Surrogate) is associated with thumbnail previews, try disabling thumbnails. Also uninstall any codec pack if installed.

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Its not there right now dllhost.exe is nowhere right now in the processes tab , sometimes it automatically pops up

EDIT : If I open a folder with movies or wallpapers or videos it just appears for a second and then vanishes . It uses 2.8 mb of ram

Vignesh B

Youngling
Its not there right now dllhost.exe is nowhere right now in the processes tab , sometimes it automatically pops up

EDIT : If I open a folder with movies or wallpapers or videos it just appears for a second and then vanishes . It uses 2.8 mb of ram
So, most probably its an issue with the thumbnails only. Some folder might have corrupted thumbnails causing a spike in the memory and(or) cpu usage.
On other folders, it is working normally. Just reset the thumbnail cache.

Here is a link describing Dllhost as an OS component dllhost.exe - What is dllhost.exe?

And, ypu may also check this link : dllhost.exe - Microsoft Community

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - your OS instill must be got scrwed .. so you better install a fresh copy of the OS.

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
I think I have to install a new OS as now the windows just hangs when I click after booting , the gadgets work but everything else freezes , ctrl+alt+del also doesnt work ... then after sometime I get a message "failure to display security and shut down options".

gameranand

Living to Play
I think I have to install a new OS as now the windows just hangs when I click after booting , the gadgets work but everything else freezes , ctrl+alt+del also doesnt work ... then after sometime I get a message "failure to display security and shut down options".

Good call. :)

Vignesh B

Youngling
If you are on Windows 8 you can also "refresh" your PC.
Otherwise go for the format. Just hoping that you have valid system images, backups of important file etc.
I might seem too paranoid, but take backups at each step of installation(even system restore will work fine), it will save you a lot of time later.

Vignesh B

Youngling
what's this "refresh" thing ... can you elaborate a little more ?

It will basically restore your old settings without any data loss whatsoever. :)
^^ Exactly.
Refreshing your PC reinstalls Windows and keeps your personal files, settings, and the apps that you installed from Windows Store. Resetting your PC reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC.
So, it is much more time saving than a full format.

Top Bottom