Distros talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Re: Eric Raymond(catb fame) Knocks Fedora, Switches to Ubuntu

^^yeah , even i wanna know that. Please expalin mehul...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

*www.slackbook.org/html/introduction-slackware.html

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic

Wow...
Mehul u sud hav told me that earlier.
I m gonna download that..

mehulved

Go ahead but remember that you will have to play around with a lot of things.
Slackware has no GUI installer, no fancy partition tools, just powerful fdisk and CLI installer. After install, it doesn't even start Xserver by default. It places everything in the hands of the user.
So, you will have to give it some time to get used to, and read some man pages and google.
Even I feel like trying out slackware again but no place on my disk :-(

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Oh man , i just saw this thread title and got frighrened that someone hacked into my account and posted this thread. But it was u mehul.
Thanx for making it a separate thread. But it is really worth a thought that any moderator can post a thread by any member's name. frightening.

mehulved

~Phenom~ said:
Oh man , i just saw this thread title and got frighrened that someone hacked into my account and posted this thread. But it was u mehul.
Thanx for making it a separate thread. But it is really worth a thought that any moderator can post a thread by any member's name. frightening.
I didn't post it by your name. Just moved your post from one thread to a new one. We can't post in somebody else's name. But, we can edit it, but it's very well shown as to who edited it.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

Manshahia said:
Suse rocks more and more :D
Really yaar, SUSE rocks! Fedora sux because its very hard for a newbie. A newbie has to to everything in it, like mount windows partition, no mp3 playback etc.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent

~Phenom~ said:
Ok I give up :cry: , Ubuntu has many disadvantages.
The biggest is that it is an Addiction.:(
Everyone who uses ubuntu for some time starts loving it more than anything else . He starts believing that all those who are using windows are idiots for they are paying huge money for crap , buggy software which provides viruses and lots of problems as free gifts.

he also starts believing that Ubuntu is the best linux distro in the world and that anyone using any other distro is not enjoying the full benefits of linux.

And i am addicted, Please help me....:D :D :D :D :D

I don't find anything much addictive in ubuntu. I used it for a few days (due to the unavailability of others distros). And moving forward i've a temptation of getting rid of it and get myself another distro. Shuttleworths moves added to it.

I'm with debian etch right now. But i'd say you guys must try gentoo or slackware if you want to know the power of gnu os with linux kernel.

mehulved

desertwind said:
I'm with debian etch right now. But i'd say you guys must try gentoo or slackware if you want to know the power of gnu os with linux kernel.
What about arch? I've heard it's good too but never used it.
And anyone for LFS? :D

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
^^ I don't know much about archlinux. Haven't tried it yet.

Satya might be right person to talk about LFS. He was hacking it for quite a long time.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Well Ububtu is the best cuz

- easily installable
- easily recognize ur sound and graphics ..(though I have to do tweaking on my lappi)
- aaram se u can install xmms and other players like VLC...
- very stable debian ...:)
- for me who surfs,see movies etc on lappi its gud alternative...

so UBuntu rocks for total newbie..no nautanki of debugging in terminal :D

jack// ani

In the zone
^^ i tried installing latest ubuntu on my lappi (thrice) and the installation hangs around 73-75%, any idea what is going wrong. i also checked the installation disk, verified it with ubuntu installer, its say ok!!

mehulved

desertwind said:
Satya might be right person to talk about LFS. He was hacking it for quite a long time.
I think he gave it up after what happened last time. Haven't heard him mention about LFS anymore.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
i tried installing latest ubuntu on my lappi (thrice) and the installation hangs around 73-75%, any idea what is going wrong. installation disk, verified it with ubuntu installer, its say ok!!

Whats the exact error its throwing ? maybe ur DVD drive isnt working fine..try installing with oem method ...a very good site for linux on lappi's is www.linux-on-laptops.com

jack// ani

In the zone
esumitkumar said:
Whats the exact error its throwing ? maybe ur DVD drive isnt working fine..try installing with oem method ...a very good site for linux on lappi's is www.linux-on-laptops.com

well, its not giving any error, just stop there forever and my dvd drive seems to have no problem. I tried waiting for 2-3hours but no further progress :-(

thanks for that site, found a page,though it is in german! will use google translator.

mehulved

Then there *tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html , *ubuntu-in.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Laptops and *wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

jack// ani

In the zone
thanks tech_your_future, the installation method mentioned there is pretty much same as i did, anyway i'll give it a shot again.

but the big deal is if the linux installation fails, you won't be able to run windows , coz grub is not fully installed, so it sucks a lot of time, anyway i'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom