Disk usage 100% and laptop lagging at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icosagon

Broken In
Hello Guys
This is my second post in the digit forum.
My laptop now is lagging very much sometimes and on booting, it may take a while to load the desktop icons. When I open the task manager and check the disk usage, it might be 80 to 100 percent. At now memory usage is 77 % and disk usage 100 %. I want to record minecraft using the windows game bar, when I start gaming the game lags.

Laptop specifications Acer Aspire 5
-Intel core i5-8250U 1.6 GHz
-Nvidia MX150
-4GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz
-Western Digital WD10

1. Is it the problem of the lack of RAM as said in my first post ????
2. Is there any way to optimize my laptop ???
3. Is it a problem of any softwares ????
4. Is it the problem of the web browser or using internet ?????

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hello Guys
This is my second post in the digit forum.
My laptop now is lagging very much sometimes and on booting, it may take a while to load the desktop icons. When I open the task manager and check the disk usage, it might be 80 to 100 percent. At now memory usage is 77 % and disk usage 100 %. I want to record minecraft using the windows game bar, when I start gaming the game lags.

Laptop specifications Acer Aspire 5
-Intel core i5-8250U 1.6 GHz
-Nvidia MX150
-4GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz
-Western Digital WD10

1. Is it the problem of the lack of RAM as said in my first post ????
2. Is there any way to optimize my laptop ???
3. Is it a problem of any softwares ????
4. Is it the problem of the web browser or using internet ?????
It's because of the RAM & HDD. Better add another 4GB RAM and add an SSD.

Sent from my Smartron SRT KT5524 using Tapatalk

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

which os do you use? in windows 10 task manager, you can see the process which is taking up the disk. do you use any antivirus? if yes, is windows defender also turned on?

OP
Icosagon

Icosagon

Broken In
Hey Guys I found the fix in Acer's Community
Disk activity 100% - Aspire 5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They gave me a link to fix this -
Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
so which exact fix did solve your issue?
I can see Norton security service, bytefence antimalware service and an avast anti-virus installer running together from the image you posted over there. running more than one antivirus software will cause instability issues. I dont see a reason why you want to run it all! keep only one at a time. If any third party antivirus is installed make sure windows defender is turned off.

OP
Icosagon

Icosagon

Broken In
so which exact fix did solve your issue?
I can see Norton security service, bytefence antimalware service and an avast anti-virus installer running together from the image you posted over there. running more than one antivirus software will cause instability issues. I dont see a reason why you want to run it all! keep only one at a time. If any third party antivirus is installed make sure windows defender is turned off.
I disabled super fetch the disk usage is low, but still it's lagging. Now I uninstalled Avast and Bytefence. Then also booting takes so much time

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I disabled super fetch the disk usage is low, but still it's lagging. Now I uninstalled Avast and Bytefence. Then also booting takes so much time

what is the status of windows defender? is it on? how many items are there on the 'start-up' tab of task manager and which are they?

OP
Icosagon

Icosagon

Broken In
what is the status of windows defender? is it on? how many items are there on the 'start-up' tab of task manager and which are they?

Enabled Start-Up items are
-Akamai Net Session client
-2x HD Audio Background Process
-Realtek HD Audio Manager
-Windows Defender notification icon

Windows Defender is on since the Norton antivirus is not subscribed

Now I disabled Windows update and the disk activity was normal
The problem was because of the Windows Update :machinegun2:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Windows Defender is on since the Norton antivirus is not subscribed

keep only one at a time. you cannot uninstall windows defender, so either go for norton and disable defender or stay with defender.
Now I disabled Windows update and the disk activity was normal
The problem was because of the Windows Update :machinegun2:

windows updates are necessary and will slow down the system while they get installed in the background.

boot time will be slightly higher now as you have disabled superfetch. superfetch service actually helps in reducing the boot time.

icebags

Technomancer
among other suggestions,
if you are not using RAM hungry applications, you may stop using virtual memory / paging.
if you need virtual memory, when set it to something like 8gb minimum.

that will increase your disk life.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Op - check your HDD for any sort of bad sector / Other SMART related value using HDTune or Crystal Diskinfo - post the screenshot here.

OP
Icosagon

Icosagon

Broken In
@Op - check your HDD for any sort of bad sector / Other SMART related value using HDTune or Crystal Diskinfo - post the screenshot here.

Sorry for the late reply

Here is the info from crystal disk
Screen Shot.png

Does this mean the Hard disk is OK ??

OP
Icosagon

Icosagon

Broken In
probably windows update is hogging up disk i get this few times too restarting solves issue
I tried to disable windows update once and the laptop became stuck. My desktop doesn't have any problems since it has Windows 10 whose support has ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom