disk space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

I have sony vaio laptop with windows vista and a 160 GB hardisk.

I have 3 partitions with 40, 70 and 30 GB as shown in vista. Now, a 160 GB by manufacturers specifications comes to arnd 149 GB. but now 10 GB is missing??

I used paragon partition manager to find that the 70 GB is actually 80 GB. Now, which one of these is lying/showing incorrect? How to rectify it?/

thanks,
legolas.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
that space is lost for partitioning, partition table, and some unformated space. Every hard disk has this and that "lost" data becomes more on bigger capacity drives.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
are you telling me i lost 10 GB on a 80GB partition becoz i have 80 GB??? i mean 10 GB??? come on!

i do know for file allocation the space is taken... but 10 GB is hell lot!

legolas.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
this has been discusses so many times. the 160gb you see is not actually 160giga bytes. its 160 billion bytes. thats cos OSs use 1024byts = 1 KB while the hard disk manufacturers use 1000bytes = 1 KB.

therefore, 149GB = 149 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 159987531776 = ~160billion bytes and not 160gb. so there is nothing wrong wid ur hard disk. don't worry. its how all hard disk capacities are indicated.

ps: because of this anamoly in indicating the capacity the group which defines standards and measurements devised new terms called Gigibytes. so now 1024MB = 1 Gigibyte and 1000 MB = 1gigabyte. but this convention has been much in use now.

rest assured, all 160gb marked drivers have 149gb capacities :)

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
infra_red_dude said:
this has been discusses so many times. the 160gb you see is not actually 160giga bytes. its 160 billion bytes. thats cos OSs use 1024byts = 1 KB while the hard disk manufacturers use 1000bytes = 1 KB.

therefore, 149GB = 149 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 159987531776 = ~160billion bytes and not 160gb. so there is nothing wrong wid ur hard disk. don't worry. its how all hard disk capacities are indicated.

ps: because of this anamoly in indicating the capacity the group which defines standards and measurements devised new terms called Gigibytes. so now 1024MB = 1 Gigibyte and 1000 MB = 1gigabyte. but this convention has been much in use now.

rest assured, all 160gb marked drivers have 149gb capacities :)

hey dude, i already mentioned in my post that my 160 GB has only 149 GB of space but my problem is that the partition size showing in windows does not add up to 149 GB... do you get it now???

I know already abt this 1000 and 1024 calculation difference bet. manufacturers n computer storage system...

legolas.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
Ok, I have a sony vaio with 160 GB hardisk which came with XP installed and with a recovery partition. The moment i got it, i formatted everything and created a single partition of size 149 GB (it showed right). Then, i created 3 partitions of sizes mentioned in the first post and still it showed the right sizes. but, i dont know when or how it happened, i see the difference of partition now.

and, I am pretty sure even though partitioning takes space, it will never show the reduced space (taken after partitioning) in the windows explorer or any other place. You can check it in your system. It still shows the partition size I allocated at the time of partitioning (whether it denotes the space before or after allocating the space for partition table).

So, I still dont know why there is a difference in the size's still.

And, it would be really helpful if I could get different suggestions than these

1) partitioning takes 10 GB (for 1 partition alone)
2) recovery partition -> there is no recovery partition in mine, the first thing i did after getting my laptop was deleting it! :)

Thank you again for your inputs,

regards,
legolas.

PS: sorry for the late reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom