disk drives is showing up raw

sujeet2555

In the zone
i have a WD my book 2tb external HD.last night i was deleting a huge number of files (18 GB that i have extracted from window7 disk).i came up a error about some corrupted files.the external HD froze and all drives vanished from the explorer.
now today after plugging the HD ,two drives were giving error;
"Location is not available
P:\ is not accessible.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

.chkdsk doesn't ran on these drives.i am hesistant to use fixmbr and fixboot option (i fears that it will affect other drives also).after trying some partition recovering softwares , "ACTIVE partition recovery " shows all files and folder intact in the affected drives but how do i recover the partition.
i don't know much about fixboot option.in both drives i got recommended option as "do not fix boot sector.PBS matches CBS and both look valid"

please help!

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
Firstly try running them through any popular linux distro and see if you can access or format them.

i have no linux distro but i tried booting with f4ubcd -mini window xp. it shows the same thing.i want to recover files from the drives ,not to format it.

helion

Broken In
You shouldn't need fixboot for an external drive. Windows 7 wouldn't even boot from an external HDD.

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
You shouldn't need fixboot for an external drive. Windows 7 wouldn't even boot from an external HDD.

you are understanding wrong;my problem is that external HD drives are shown as RAW (drive is not formatted) but chkdsk says it is NTFS.i want to all files on that drive or fix this problem.
i also used PTDD Partition Table Doctor .it says parameters incorrect at partition 2 disk 2 ,use fixboot option to correct this.but i tried to use this option i got I/o error,please reload hard disks.

helion

Broken In
There's no more to the data in the external HDD beyond what the folder structure is shown in the recovery software, unless you are hung up about an OS on that drive etc. Back up all of them.

It is possible that the external HDD has Volume information bugged because of which it is not being identified properly and the data it sent about itself to the system has glitched the partition table and that is why the suggestion of fixboot is being made. However by what it sounds like, the external HDD might have developed some issue as well.

1. Fixboot might be tried with the external HDD not connected. It doesn't harm much, that is, and if it works, you have your data once you connect it.
2. Look into the device manager to update drivers of the USB controllers and/or troubleshoot them as necessary.
3. While you're at it, do the regular good work like antivirus and antimalware scan and defrag and checkdisk on the booting HDD.

In many of these kinds of issues, one of the other booting methods like a Linux Live CD etc does work as usual and you will be able to back up the contents of the thing. While you are working with the attempts, keep the external HDD in a cool place.

Last edited:
OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
do anyone has any experience about using Active@ Partition Recovery? it works fine ,no I/o error.its the partition table doctor only that reports i/o error.

Active@ Partition Recovery correctly shows the folder structure reporting no problems.as i stated earlier that it show PBS (primary boot sector) & CBS looks valid and matches.there is recommendation that fixboot is not required by APR.what should be my next step?

currently i am running EASEUS data recovery and is running for 3 hrs 30 min and 3 hrs remaining (drive is 298Gb).it is showing till now
NTFS Boot Records - 1
NTFS File Records - 8007
File Identified - 1930
Total File Found - 9939
i don't think all my files will be recovered coerrectly.please provide help on Active@ Partition Recovery.
A advise for all :From my exp don't defrag the drive without running chkdsk first.especially for window drive i.e CDrive

OP
sujeet2555

sujeet2555

In the zone
here is the are the screenshots from active par. recovery
*i42.tinypic.com/316pv8y.jpg

both looks valid then why drive is showing up as unformatted.can anyone explain?

Top Bottom