Disabling Thermal Cutout

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Most prolly your BIOS will haf this setting. However, in many of the newer mobos this feature is built into it and supercedes the BIOS setting when the temps exceed a certain upper limit.

OP
AquaWolf
Damn, well lately my pc has been restarting itself for no aparant reason, there are no driver problems, nor virus/spyware problems. It restarts, doesn't boot back up but the power is still active. I must move my hand around the back to the power pack and flick it off and on again and then boot it up for it to come on. It's very infrequent and a pain in the backside. I thought it was the thermal cut-out but maybe it's not. The CPU is running at a steady 47c according to Everest.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
47C is fine. I suspect a faulty PSU and/or the connector. It could also be a bad HDD or RAM. You need to check and eliminate the suspects one by one.

OP
AquaWolf
infra_red_dude said:
47C is fine. I suspect a faulty PSU and/or the connector. It could also be a bad HDD or RAM. You need to check and eliminate the suspects one by one.
I've run memtest several times, the RAM is fine. I ran a chkdsk the other day but was asleep while it was doing it so im not sure if thats fine (I did auto fix). I have no idea what a PSU and connector is though.

I cleaned out the entire pc last week and got the CPU down from 74C and cutting out at 75C to what it is now, I may have bumped something in there but I dont know what it could be.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
PSU is the power supply unit - SMPS. The connectors are the white molex connectors which connect to the mobo, the optical drives, HDDs etc. The power supply may be faulty. Or the various molex (4 pin white) connectors maybe faulty or loose.

OP
AquaWolf
Right thanks, when ever I get a spare £10 I'll go buy a new PSU after trying to fix it and blowing up my system ^_^ XD

OP
AquaWolf
infra_red_dude said:
Why don't you just borrow one from your friend. Just for testing purposes and then return it to him?

My friends use laptops and my dad uses 250w cause of his ancient system. I'd need a 500w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom