Which of the folowing applys to u?

• No knowledge about windows registry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer which is used by many of my friends. Who use it mainly for internet access. One really annoying thing about most of my friends save downloaded files to desktop then copy the files to their flash drives (memory sticks) & delete these files. Along with this they by mistake delete some of my files (by mistake they say).

As its my PC i think i have a right to disallow them from deleting these files. But they dont listen. I cant tell them not to use my PC as they are close friends & they also help me when i need it.

Could anyone please tell me how to disable deletion of any file from any where in the system (any drive,My documents,desktop,etc)

I know a little about registry editing to customize stuff.

adit_sen

In the zone
Your best option would be to use a guest account. Assuming that you have an NTFS partition wit WinXP, if they have a guest account they wont be allowed access to your personal files.
Actually it need not be a guest acc at all. Even if its another normal account, they wont have access to your files. You could encrypt the files you require the most.

hope this helps...

peace..
aditya

OP
F

faraz_majidkhan

Broken In
Thanks for your reply Adit sen. But i was hoping to disable deleting from the administrator account.You see we are a very close friends group & my friends dont keep passwords or other accounts & i use their PC's freely . So it would look mean if i shut them off. I would just like to disable deletion when i am not around

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
adit_sen's idea is what I would have suggested too. You are not shutting them off in any way. They can do everything with the guest account apart from deleting files from the system and installing anything. How is this equal to shutting them off? If they don't like this setting, they are clearly being mischevious and delete your files purposely (it's impossible to delete files by mistake anyway, given that the 'Recycle Bin' is there to the rescue).

prasad_den

Padawan
This is slightly off topic, but I thought you may want to know. You could try PC Inspector File Recovery as soon as possible after deletion.. Most of the times, you'll be able to recover deleted files in a very good state.. May help you if you can't find a better solution to avoid deletions..
*www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
Its a freeware too..

Andyiz

Journeyman
One solutn as i see it

Create a account called Admin or ADministrator in ur pc
let it have administrator priviledges

Now hide ur original account from control panel,
Now when the pc is switched on ur friends will only bw able to log on on newly created account as ur Orinal acc is hidden.
So even if they copy files on their desktop and then del it this wont affect u.

U can log onto ur account by pressing ALT Crtl Del button on the logon srceen and then manually entering ur orginal account details

ALternatively
Create New account or ourselves and Hide it
Let ur friends continue to use Orginal Acc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom