Digital camera quick reference buying guide

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
cheapest dslr :D each and evry dslr is cheapest in its range that way ;)
I mean... All I want is a DSLR to play with. ;)
I don't have a heart to spend a lot for my hobby (actually, I don't have money. Even if I have I don't think I would spend on cameras). So I would settle for the cheapest available DSLR. If somebody gives me a used DSLR with 50mm for 10k, I would buy it and use it as long as it lasts. :)

The only specific he gave was the budget and I gave a reason why I would go for that particular models. Comparing with my SX130, all the DSLRs have better IQ/low light performance and more controls. Any of those DSLR would be more than perfect for me. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I couldnt decide a digicam for dad ...WX220 fits the bill or WX80 ...or mabe IXUS 265 ...
IXUS 265 is more like a downgrade than an upgrade.
From digic 5 to 4
Wide open Av from f/3 to f/3.6
Already canon's battery life is below average, now with 265, you would get even lesser

You can consider S9600 too but it's little pricey...
:D nice ... suggest a good canon one as well in the 36k range. D5200 is what I would go for if I needed a Nikon.
Scroll up, all the models are mentioned there. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Updated...

I guess Jan/Feb camera announcements are pretty much over. If the trend goes as usual, I would expect around 15 more models for the rest of this year :( Already, stats shows that compacts market going downhill. Last year's compacts volume is the least since 2003. Compact lost volume of about 75% from it's peak in 2010.

It's not just compacts, ILC too lost YOY volume. While DSLR lost almost 1/4th of previous year's, CSC managed to ship close to previous year's volume. And infact, the only number in positive is CSC's shipping value. :) Does CSC going to outperform DSLR? We will see what it does in coming years...

Still DSLR holds major market share (digital camera) of about 49%, compacts with 37% and finally CSC with 14%.

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
So the question is that is anyone gaining sales? I think sony has done really well this year on the back of its mirrorless cameras, especially the full frame ones.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know and I don't think anyone gained in sales (volume). If anyone did, they sure made a dent on someone/body's market share.

Though the volume (CSC) is falling, not the valiue. So I guess, they would still make profits.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have used my friends Sony xperia Z2 and it have the same sensor as normal P&S 1/2.3" and it shoots brilliantly and beautifully ...u take the shot and send it on whatsapp or upload on facebook...why buy a p&s then

the next mobile I will buy next year will definitely have that sensor :D

DSLR and any ILC is purely for creative shoots and photography...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Panasonic put an one inch sensor in one of it's mobile. You may want to buy that as you coudn't get RX100 this time ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Panasonic announces Lumix DMC-CM1 smartphone with 1-inch sensor: Connect

It's dated Sep 2014, it should be in market by now.

sujoyp

Grand Master
that looks great...but I cant seems to find a website which sells it ...anyways I am not going to buy it

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I re read the article. Panasonic initially planned for very few places, later they started stocking in UK too. Last month, they said CM1 going to US as well. BTW, it's super expensive. Probably more expensive than D7100. :)

jaimin100

Journeyman
why we dont create post like for lens and other thing like tripod as many member have different brand so its better for each other to know cons and pro.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
We'll need to start a topic for all the accessories of a cam. This one is there for buying and new purchases for a camera

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think there are soo many accesories available to buy that it will be difficult to compile them togather...

its easier to ask a question and active members can reply :)

Top Bottom