Difference between optical and laser mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Laser mouse use a small IR laser than an LED and thus get a higher resolution of the surface below. This makes it a lot more precise than an Optical mouse in detecting surface movement, and it is more sensitive and has higher DPI.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Laser mice works better on all kinda surfaces. Some optical mice reports incorrectly in case of surfaces like smooth wooden area etc.

A normal optical mice sensitivity can go upto 800 dpi while laser mice has 2000 or even 3400dpi or cpi sensitivuty.

Laser mice are normally equipped with features like:
*Special gaming grade mouse feets like teflon or PTFE material for ultra smooth movement over quality mouse pads.[eg. teflon for Logitech MX 518. PTFE for Logitech G5, Razer Copperhead, Diamondback, Logitech FATAL1TY]
*Programmable extra buttons. We can set macros inside each games.[eg: Logitech MX 518, G5, G7, G9, Razer Copperhead, Diamondback, Boomslang etc]
*On the fly resolution changer. The resolution of pointer can be changed on the clich of one or two buttons on the fly, without any drivers.[eg: MX 518, G5, Copperhead etc]
*Weight adjustments. We can adjust the weigh and also balance the weight at different positions for perfect controls especially for situations like snipping.[eg: G5, G9]
*High bandwidth data paths like 16bit USB and hogh polling rate like 2ms or 1ms, with minimum delay.[eg: MX 518, G5, Copperhead]

Hope this solves da dilemma.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Mostly laser mice are for Harcore gamers or graphics designer.
Optical is good as ball mouse are passe.

OP
B

bigdaddy486

Lowest laser mouse-400.

A Question- How can we adjust the weight? Should we add something to it to increase the wieght?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@bigdaddy486
Thought u need some expensive mice like G5, G9 to do weight adjustments neatly, u can do it yourself.

My advice: iball laser quick is available for 450/- and sports the same sensor as that of Diamondback. But that mouse is very light weight. In order to get better control and precision, it shud haf some weight.
There was a gud tutorial in moding weights in mice in some issue of SKOAR. If u missed that here is it;

* Open ur mouse[will void the warranty], and just remember tha position and structure to avoid confusion at time of asembling.
* Get some ball bearings or nuts and bolts. Wrap it with cellophane tape inorder to prevent shorting inside mice.
* Place those wraped balls or nuts at sides for better balance and weight distribution.
* Use some extra tape to firmly fit those in position without moving.
* Close the body.

There are some other tweaks also that cud make normal optical mice better.
Download this pack and extract. Use the mouserates.exe to find the polling rate of ur mouse. Itll be 125Mhz. That is it has 8ms delay.
Tjis can be tweaked upto 1000Mhz, ie 1ms delay.
Use the usbmrs11.exe to change the polling rate. I recommend hiking it upto 500Mhz only coz it cud cause bit more CPU utilization. In case of single cores, not more than 500 is recommended.
For dual core/ C2D PCs is system is stable enuf, go upto 1000Mhz.
This can be only done in safe mode if using that s/w.

*rapidshare.com/files/63945199/Mouse_pack_dOm1.rar.html

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Does laser mouse use less power than optical mouse? If I'm using a laser wireless mouse, would the batteries last longer?

Am asking coz my logitech wireless desktop mouse (optical) needs to have it's batteries changed very frequently. I'm using 2x2000 mAh batteries, but still the batteries need to be replaced every 3-4 weeks :(

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes, laser mice consume lesser power than opticals. That blinking that happens in it during standby actually saves power and enhances the laser life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom