Difference between GPS & A-GPS and between N82 & N95

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilpai

Techans
Difference between GPS & A-GPS facilities of N82 & N95

What is the difference between GPS and A-GPS (Assisted GPS)
I believe N95 (non 8GB) has GPS while N95 8GB and N82 has A-GPS. Which is the better of the two?

Further if maps are copied to either N82 or N95 by Nokia PC Suite, is it still necessary to access maps by GPRS while using GPS ?
Is it possible to use GPS without using GPRS for downloading maps?

Last edited:

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
difference between n95 8 gb and n82

1. n82 -- has everthing n95 has except big screen and infrared

2. n95 -- has everything n82 has except xenon flash ..

abt storage- n95 has 8 gb onboard memory without memory card slot

n82 comes with 2gb card .. can support upto 32gb .. people has used it 8gb without problems .. and sandisk 12gb has just been announced at ces ..

abt gps - both has same hardware and perform equally in gps department as far as i know ..

i am n82 user- hvent used gps for maps yet .. but used it with nokia sports tracker along gprs .. worked very well .

vilas_patil

Journeyman
Nikeel, I was scanning through CNET - ASIA, and could find the answer to your qurey..

The difference between GPS and A-GPS is actually pretty straightforward. A GPS phone comes with a built-in GPS chip. GPS, short for Global Positioning System, is typically used to determine the location, speed, direction and time of the device. So, for example, in the case of the N95, when GPS is activated on the unit, the system would be able to triangulate the position of the receiver when three or more satellites are connected. And since it is able to calculate speed and direction, GPS is also commonly used as a navigation device while driving.

A-GPS (Assisted-GPS), on the other hand, was developed to enhance the performance of GPS. This is especially useful in environments where the GPS chip may have difficulty in getting a satellite signal, such as an urban canyon, or places where there is too much overhead obstruction. What A-GPS does is it leverages on an intermediary called an Assistant Server which provides information on cell ID or other data to help the device identify the right satellites to connect to. This shortens the time needed for a location lock although certain A-GPS solutions require an active connection to a cell phone network.

If you have anything further query pls put it on this forum .

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
GPS -> the service is not service provider pependent.it means that u can access GPS even where theres no mobile service provider.

A-GPS -> this service is fully service provider dependent (i.e ur service provider needs to provide GPRS service).make sure that u hav a unlimited data plan else u'll be running up huge data bills.

personally i've use the N95 8GB's inbuilt gps with google maps,mgmaps and yahoo maps and it worked like a charm.cudnt use it with Nokia maps cuz they dont hav maps for the area where i tried.

dark_king

Brain Behind Supercomp
as for i know gps service is free for domestic users but , i saw that with nokia phones gps service is available only for 3 months . can some one please tell me that why this service is paid now ....

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ GPS service is completely free.if u use it with Nokia maps u'll get 3 months of free subscription for this Navigation system.but u can use it for free for as long as u want with Gmaps,yahoo maps and other free gps navigation software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom