didnt format the c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
hi friends,
i have one strange problem.i didnt format the C drive in my hard disk.but i can format the other drives.when i run the recovery console i use the command chkdsk then it show
THE DRIVE HAS ONE OR MORE ERRORS AND IT COULD NOT BE RECOVERABLE.
and i also try the command chkdsk /r then it shows the same error.at present i install my xp-sp2 in my D drive.and it is in good condition.and i didnt remove the xp-sp2 in my c drive.what can i do.please help me.
BHARATHI

cynosure

UbuntuUser
AFAIK you cannot format your C: drive if your OS is installed on the same drive.
But now since you have installed your OS on D: then you should try it again, If nothing happens then do a *thorough* scan disk check and see if your drive has bad sectors. If it has then they will be marked as "bad" and then youll be able to format your C: drive.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
If C has the MBR, u can't format it. The best way wud be delete the partition, re-create the partition and then format it. If this does not work then give ur HDD to its company and get it repaired b4 more damages occur.

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
The Unknown said:
If C has the MBR, u can't format it. The best way wud be delete the partition, re-create the partition and then format it. If this does not work then give ur HDD to its company and get it repaired b4 more damages occur.
yup I agree! but just remember when you do wipe out c (del partition create new, then format) it wipes out your MBR and you will not be able to boot to the D:. you will have to copy a few system files over to C: and edit the boot.ini.

OP
T

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
i have bought the hard drive just few months before(6 months).at the time of buying i have the same problem.then i format it and load the os for many(30)times in just one month.then the hard disk had been failed.then i replace it.then the new hard disk have been work for the last three months in good condition.then the same problem have occured.is it the hard drive problem (or) motherboard (or) cmos battery (or) anything else?please help me................

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Liggy said:
yup I agree! but just remember when you do wipe out c (del partition create new, then format) it wipes out your MBR and you will not be able to boot to the D:. you will have to copy a few system files over to C: and edit the boot.ini.
Anyway, it doesn't matter to me coz i don't have any C:'s and D:'s on my system. My HDDs are united automatically as one HDD using S/W RAID (lvm2) by linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom