Developer Support

Sharan

Right off the assembly line
Is developer support a factor for buying a phone?
If we take example as Moto G it has a active xda page but phones of companies like micromax, lava,etc doest even have a dedicated xda page...
I think developer support is a major factor as, now I own a 2 year old Transformer TF101... Asus left OTA update support since ICS but due to great developer support, I am using KitKat on my tablet :).

Please post your opinion. :)

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
It depends on the user as someone who is into modding and flashing will want a phone with good dev support (Like me:lol:) while someone who just uses his phone for normal tasks wouldnt care if his phone had dev support or not.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Right, it totally depends on user. Like me and other members of this forum have been using LG Optimus One for a quite long time due to it's awesome developer support :)

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
First of all it depends on the company if they are developer friendly, you won't believe it but nexus 10 has the worst developer support just cause it's CPU is a exnoys one. So if the chipset/handset company releases sources development can happen

Xperia it's the best in developer support

I wanted to buy the phone for custom roms but didn't knew about Mediatek which ruined my life

Now I want to buy the oneplus one!!

.jRay.

Youngling
G2 has an awesome dev support. Other than that nexus and htc , xperia have great support. Indian brands don't have much support.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If you are RICH with $$$ to spend or someone who are not into "exploring uncharted avenues", you may not care about dev support. But if you want to extract every ounce of value from a phone you need a gadget with good dev support.

An yea, P500 rocks in this department. :D

OP
S

Sharan

Right off the assembly line
So after summing up I can say that dev support is best for Xperia, LG, Samsung, Nexus devices...
I would go for Xperia as there's constant innovation going on in xperia devices but if we take Samsung they just keep repeating the old stuff(plasticky design)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
So after summing up I can say that dev support is best for Xperia, LG, Samsung, Nexus devices...
I would go for Xperia as there's constant innovation going on in xperia devices but if we take Samsung they just keep repeating the old stuff(plasticky design)

yeah
not just that, nexus and xperia are the best to restore to factory rom as well incase u flash ur device with the wrong rom or something like that
lg is catching up with their newer phones like g2,g3 and other top end phones,lower end not so much at the moment(mediatek is closed source)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
in case you missed, Nexus 4 was based on Optimus G, while Nexus 5 is based on G2. and dev support for LG phones is very close to that of Nexus phones. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
in case you missed, Nexus 4 was based on Optimus G, while Nexus 5 is based on G2. and dev support for LG phones is very close to that of Nexus phones. :)

I know since G2,nexus and G-series get similiar roms etc
The lower and mid-end LG's are mostly mediatek,making roms tougher or even impossible at times
G2 and nexus 5 got great roms,like variety of different ones
G3 and nexus 6(if its ever made) will also be epic I guess (and hope)

Top Bottom