Desktop upgrade query

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Hey guys. Need to upgrade my desktop.

1. What is the purpose of the upgrade? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: full hd 1080p gaming at ultra resolution. If possible UHD 4k gaming.

2. What is your overall budget?
Ans: 65k.. Can extend it to 80k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 10.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: No hard drive needed.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: No. Already have a 22" 1080p one. Planning to buy 4k moniter later. That will be an individual purchase.

7. Which components you ONLY want to buy?
Ans: Processer, Motherboard, Ram, Graphic card.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within this month or can wait for Ryzen.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will do myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Dehradun. Online, offline, fine with both.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I can wait for Ryzen if its worthy and VFM. Upgraded configuration should not get obsolete till 5 or 7 years. My current configuration is in signature.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -K

AMD Ryzen R7 1800X -40000,
Asus ROG Cross hair VI Hero -22000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400Mhz -9000,
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD -5000.
HIS RX480 8GB Iceq X2 Roaring Turbo -23000.
Or
Sapphire RX480 8GB Nitro+ -23000.
Total -???
Calculate for yourself...

Regarding ultra HD gaming OP needs to wait for AMD next gen GPUs.

Otherwise OP can go with either HIS RX480 8GB Iceq X2 Roaring Turbo or Sapphire RX480 8GB @ 23k

I think RX590 which is the upcoming GPU is the single fastest GPU that comes under your budget.

Coupled with DirectX12 & Vulkan API support by AMD on their GPU hardware plus budget pricing will be the best option for Ultra 4K resolutions.

Regarding AMD GPUs like RX480 if can't wait.
HIS RX480 8GB has 6 power phases and VRM heatsink compares with Sapphire RX480 5 power phases and no VRM heatsink.

It's your decision since you are going for Ultra 4K Gaming and RX480 is not sufficient.

I mean Zotac GTX1080 8GB is there but it's out of your budget.

Even GTX1080Ti got released just now.

If you can increase your budget then go with GTX1080Ti for flawless Ultra 4K Gaming.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Budget -81.2K

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 -26000,
Asus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz -4500,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
Seasonic M12II 520w -5700,
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD -5000,
Zotac GTX1060 6GB Amp -23000,
Deepcool Dukase v2 -4800,
Logitech MK200 -800.
Total -81,200.

Don't need hard disk, ssd, psu, case. Only need processer, mobo, ram and gpu.

OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Updated as required.
Calculate and get enlightened.
Any more doubts then enlighten me eh.

1) Is AMD Ryzen R7 1800X - 40000rs. really value for money?

2) I want to go with nvidia gpu and was thinking to get GTX1080 if possible in this budget.

3) Let me break down my budget

Cpu - 20000 to 25000
Mobo - 10000 to 12000
Ram - 8000

Total - 40000 to 45000 approx

Now I've left around 35000 for gpu. How much will i need more for a good GTX1080?

Plz suggest me configuration accordingly.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Let me enlighten you about Nvidia Pascal architecture

AMD’s Radeon cards hold an ace in the hole when it comes to games based on Microsoft’s*radical new DirectX 12 graphics technology: asynchronous compute engines.

This dedicated hardware essentially allows multiple tasks to be run concurrently. The async shaders didn’t provide much of an advantage in DirectX 11 games, which run tasks in a largely linear fashion, but they can give certain DX12 titles a major performance boost, as you’ll see in our*Ashes of the Singularity*benchmark results later. And it can make a major difference in*the asynchronous timewarp feature*that the Oculus Rift VR headset uses to keep you from blowing chunks if there’s a hiccup in processing.

OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Ok sir, then plz finally give me configuration according to the following -

Cpu - 20000 to 25000 (Ryzen if possible)
Mobo - 10000 to 12000
Ram - 8000
Gpu - 40000

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
No No... don't get Ryzen 1800... That is very bad value for gaming , it is meant for workstation,development,rendering

Ryzen 5 1600X is the one you should get .. this should launch around Rs 20k during may , B350 Mobo is already under 10k

Gtx 1080 received price cut 3 days ago to 500 $ ... so it will reflect soon in india... by may-june Vega will also launch

Last edited:
OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Ok so I've decided to wait for Vega series. Till then I'll upgrade cpu+mobo+ram. I've finalized Ryzen 1700X. So far it seems perfect for gaming+computing processes.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok so I've decided to wait for Vega series. Till then I'll upgrade cpu+mobo+ram. I've finalized Ryzen 1700X. So far it seems perfect for gaming+computing processes.

if you are waiting for VEGA then wait for R5 1600x .. This will perform better than 1700X in games , same as 1800x.. giving you the most bang for the buck..

Save that 10k and put that money into a better GPU like Vega equivalent of GTX 1080

Last edited:
OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
if you are waiting for VEGA then wait for R5 1600x .. This will perform better than 1700X in games , same as 1800x.. giving you the most bang for the buck..

Save that 10k and put that money into a better GPU like Vega equivalent of GTX 1080

R5 1600X will better than 1700X in gaming... Why so? Plz elaborate.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
R5 1600X will better than 1700X in gaming... Why so? Plz elaborate.

Clock Speeds ..

1700X , Base -3.4 ghz , turbo - 3.8 ghz
1600X Base - 3.6 ghz , turbo - 4.0 ghz ( same as 1800x )

Games don't scale well beyond 8 threads and most games are still limited to strong 4 threads.. Single threaded performance is very important for games.. so having 12 threads as in 1600x vs 16 threads in 1700X will not impact gaming.. it is future proof enough for next 5 years ..

and at higher resolutions , GPU is the major bottleneck .. So you will gain more performance by using a better GPU than spending more on CPU.. so save that 10k and put it in better GPU..

Last edited:
OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Clock Speeds ..

1700X , Base -3.4 ghz , turbo - 3.8 ghz
1600X Base - 3.6 ghz , turbo - 4.0 ghz ( same as 1800x )

Games don't scale well beyond 8 threads and most games are still limited to strong 4 threads.. Single threaded performance is very important for games.. so having 12 threads as in 1600x vs 16 threads in 1700X will not impact gaming.. it is future proof enough for next 5 years ..

and at higher resolutions , GPU is the major bottleneck .. So you will gain more performance by using a better GPU than spending more on CPU.. so save that 10k and put it in better GPU..

When will 1600X launch in india?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
official word is Q2 .. should launch in may , before Vega launch anyway ..

- - - Updated - - -

IF you have money left after "accounting for better GPU" then you can look into buying 1700 and overclocking it , it will increase the longevity of your processor in future after 4-5 years when games starts using more than 12 threads... better minimum and stable framerates , this is another popular opinion , just mentioning it .. though i am not in full agreement with it
Who cares after 4-5 years eh.
By that time there would be processors coming with 16cores/32threads or 32cores/64threads eh.

What we want here is Intel Core i5 performance for Gaming and Intel Core i7 performance for multi-tasking.

You will not need more than that.

Why do you think AMD released R7 first even though all iterations are developed and made ready eh.

If they release all iterations like R7, R5, R3 chipsets, almost 80% will go with R5s since the remaining 20% only constitute ensthusiast market buddy.

Only those who really have the purpose will then go with R7s eh.

This is their marketing strategy eh.

If after 4-5 years like you said these R7s will come in handy, by that time the GPU technology will be well ahead which will lead to the CPU bottlenecking the then released GPUs eh.

Then ultimately in order to keep up you will update to then released CPUs eh.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Ok sir, then plz finally give me configuration according to the following -

Cpu - 20000 to 25000 (Ryzen if possible)
Mobo - 10000 to 12000
Ram - 8000
Gpu - 40000

AMD Ryzen R5 1600X -15k to 20k

Yet to be released. Will come in June,2017.
It's the best processor to get for gaming and R7 is not at all needed eh.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Who cares after 4-5 years eh.
By that time there would be processors coming with 16cores/32threads or 32cores/64threads eh.

What we want here is Intel Core i5 performance for Gaming and Intel Core i7 performance for multi-tasking.

You will not need more than that.

Why do you think AMD released R7 first even though all iterations are developed and made ready eh.

If they release all iterations like R7, R5, R3 chipsets, almost 80% will go with R5s since the remaining 20% only constitute ensthusiast market buddy.

Only those who really have the purpose will then go with R7s eh.

This is their marketing strategy eh.

If after 4-5 years like you said these R7s will come in handy, by that time the GPU technology will be well ahead which will lead to the CPU bottlenecking the then released GPUs eh.

Then ultimately in order to keep up you will update to then released CPUs eh.

This is why i mentioned i don't agree with it and later even edited it out .. but there are many people who buy an expensive machine once and stick with that configuration and never upgrade .. the only reason i mentioned is this .. Did you Read OP ?

Upgraded configuration should not get obsolete till 5 or 7 years

Games like BF1 multiplayer are very taxing on CPU , even i7 7700k is near full usage in that game .. that is today in one of the most popular game .. forget 4-5 years later..

so people are actually buying ryzen 1700 and overclocking it .. because the difference in price is not that big between 1600x and 1700 vs the extra cores/threads + future proofing you get for only 60 $ more ... if 1600x doesn't overclock more than 4.1 ghz , you will see many people jumping on 1700 directly and overclocking it.. but i still don't agree with this opinion .. i just mentioned it for OP as an alternative if he has extra cash after accounting for higher end GPU because many people are recommending this

they released R7 first because of yields and they are fully working dies , the defective chips out of R7 will have 2 cores disabled/fused off that will become 1600x /1500
the R3 and low end R5 4 core version will likely be a different chip with only 1 cluster.. this is why they are not releasing in Q2 but in 2nd half...
then they are going into Server market in Q2 so they want all the production to go for full dies , higher end chips where there is maximum profit and not to artificially block gamers ..

and R7 is looking bad compared to kabylake in gaming already.. it is in their best interest to release R5 1600x and 1500 as fast as they can to win gamers on price/performance

Last edited:
OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
One more thing i want to know and I'm confused about.... Which cpu cooler will i have to purchase if i go for ryzen/am4 motherboard?

Top Bottom