Desktop plan almost scrapped. Need new Laptop 42k

tkin

Back to school!!
Gaming at native and higher res. primarily. Audio , Video conversion , office and productivity , Movies .

budget around 42k.
and I am more inclined to the Dell one though.
For DELL: Dell New Inspiron 15R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com
Will go for 42k locally.

HP: HP Pavilion G6-2320TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

HP one has more HDD space, but Dell I believe to have better RMA support, and no reason to go for 2313AX, reason no. 1: no win 7 support, reason no 2: i5>>A10 for 99% tasks.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
gaming + laptop never mix too well. in case you have a desktop and want laptop as a secondary gaming device (think of it as a way to play LAN multiplayer) then it is ok but as a primary gaming machine, not a good idea.

BTW 8730M is hardly any better than 7670M. Don't think just because it is 87xx GPU it'll perform better. AMD completely messed up the laptop GPU naming scheme. Check if you can find a laptop with GT640M GPU.

OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
gaming + laptop never mix too well. in case you have a desktop and want laptop as a secondary gaming device (think of it as a way to play LAN multiplayer) then it is ok but as a primary gaming machine, not a good idea.

BTW 8730M is hardly any better than 7670M. Don't think just because it is 87xx GPU it'll perform better. AMD completely messed up the laptop GPU naming scheme. Check if you can find a laptop with GT640M GPU.

i cant help it @sam, dad wont buy a desktop.

And I just found this GPU roadmap.

For DELL: Dell New Inspiron 15R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com
Will go for 42k locally.

HP: HP Pavilion G6-2320TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

HP one has more HDD space, but Dell I believe to have better RMA support, and no reason to go for 2313AX, reason no. 1: no win 7 support, reason no 2: i5>>A10 for 99% tasks.

I dont get it.. what is no win 7 support supposed to mean ?

tkin

Back to school!!
i cant help it @sam, dad wont buy a desktop.

And I just found this GPU roadmap.

I dont get it.. what is no win 7 support supposed to mean ?
That means HP 2313AX and 2049TX2301AX has no drivers available for win 7, just for win 8 only, and they do not ship with OS, so if you buy them better get ready to shell out some cash for Win 8.

*i.imgur.com/tSG2Kql.jpg

Also I had mailed HP India for an expected date on the drivers, they couldn't reply.

Last edited:
OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
That means HP 2313AX and 2049AX has no drivers available for win 7, just for win 8 only, and they do not ship with OS, so if you buy them better get ready to shell out some cash for Win 8.

Also I had mailed HP India for an expected date on the drivers, they couldn't reply.

so should i get the 8730m enabled laptop ? and are there benchmarks available comparing the i5m vs a10m ?

tkin

Back to school!!
so should i get the 8730m enabled laptop ? and are there benchmarks available comparing the i5m vs a10m ?
Right here, see the spanking: Intel Core i3-3110M Ivy Bridge versus i3-2370M Sandy Bridge (page 1: Sandy Bridge versus Ivy Bridge, Core i3 versus i5) - BeHardware

And make sure whatever intel laptop you buy the processor name is like this: i3/i5xxxxM and not i3/i5xxxxU, these are ULV processors and they run like cr@p.

OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
@tkin, went through the benchmarks. I see that the A10-4600M beats an i3 and i5 in gaming , whereas it is at par with the i3's in CPU performance. So doesn't the APU make more sense ?
Yet I am open to suggestions.
Will an i3 + discrete gpu be better ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
looks like i was wrong. Review Dell Inspiron 15R-5521 Notebook. despite being coupled with a ULV processor, 8730M gives GT640 a run for its money and is noticeably faster than 7670M. So a normal voltage i5 + 8730M will easily outperform i5 + 7670M. But a ULV processor won't help in gaming. You'll need a standard voltage processor like tkin said.

But one will only miss out on propitiatory HP crap in case with HP 2313AX. Display driver can be downloaded from AMD's site, generic audio driver or AMD's built in audio driver should work. only the bluetooth & wifi drivers will give trouble.

@tkin, went through the benchmarks. I see that the A10-4600M beats an i3 and i5 in gaming , whereas it is at par with the i3's in CPU performance. So doesn't the APU make more sense ?

because the laptops being tested doesn't have discrete graphics. add a discrete GPU like 7670M, and i5 will easily take home the prize money. A8/A10 can only match i3 because it lack turbo. with i5, turbo + more L3 cache memory makes it more like a one sided game. for general performance check Anandtech's review.

And dual channel do have a big effect on the graphics performance of APU.

powerstarprince

In the zone
That means HP 2313AX and 2049AX has no drivers available for win 7, just for win 8 only, and they do not ship with OS, so if you buy them better get ready to shell out some cash for Win 8.

*i.imgur.com/tSG2Kql.jpg

Dude there are win 7 drivers for 2049tx check it again

tkin

Back to school!!
Yet I am open to suggestions.
Will an i3 + discrete gpu be better ?
Its because the games are run using their inbuilt GPUs, and 7660/7640G>>>>HD4000, but when you add a 7670 its easy to see which will pull ahead, the cpu performance across all applications should give you an idea.

Dude there are win 7 drivers for 2049tx check it again
So sorry sorry, my mistake, it's the 2301AX that lacks these drivers, actually when asked in fb about win 7 drivers for 2313AX the dumb@$$ hp support team pointed towards the 2301AX which also lacks Win 7 drivers:
*i.imgur.com/YxrFRBX.png
:facepalm:

looks like i was wrong. Review Dell Inspiron 15R-5521 Notebook. despite being coupled with a ULV processor, 8730M gives GT640 a run for its money and is noticeably faster than 7670M. So a normal voltage i5 + 8730M will easily outperform i5 + 7670M. But a ULV processor won't help in gaming. You'll need a standard voltage processor like tkin said.

But one will only miss out on propitiatory HP crap in case with HP 2313AX. Display driver can be downloaded from AMD's site, generic audio driver or AMD's built in audio driver should work. only the bluetooth & wifi drivers will give trouble.

because the laptops being tested doesn't have discrete graphics. add a discrete GPU like 7670M, and i5 will easily take home the prize money. A8/A10 can only match i3 because it lack turbo. with i5, turbo + more L3 cache memory makes it more like a one sided game. for general performance check Anandtech's review.

And dual channel do have a big effect on the graphics performance of APU.
And also the other stuff like the fan control app(HP2313AX fan runs at full speed with storm like noise, can be fixed with a app, win 8 only).

OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
I just found an i3u + 500 gb hard disk version of the Inspiron 15R.
Everyone says i3 ~ A10 and i3 + GPU > A10 + GPU.
The Inspiron 15R has a Mars 8730M Gpu while the Pavilion 2313AX has the 7670M gpu.

Which GPU is better ?
And Can I increase the HDD capacity of the Inspiron 15R ?

tkin

Back to school!!
I just found an i3u + 500 gb hard disk version of the Inspiron 15R.
Everyone says i3 ~ A10 and i3 + GPU > A10 + GPU.
The Inspiron 15R has a Mars 8730M Gpu while the Pavilion 2313AX has the 7670M gpu.

Which GPU is better ?
And Can I increase the HDD capacity of the Inspiron 15R ?
8730m>7670m
But i3U<<A10.

So, not a good choice, i5U is doable, but not i3U.

Top Bottom