Demystified - Opera Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

int86

You'r Born Free
A less known fact about Opera Mini.

Opera Mini is a free compact browser for mobile phones and other devices that have Java ME installed. It uses Opera's servers to render and compress pages before sending the binary data to a small display program run by the phone. The method makes many pages mobile-compatible.

Unlike normal web browsers, Opera Mini fetches all content through a proxy server that runs the layout engine of the Opera desktop browser. The engine on the proxy server reformats webpages into a width that is suitable for small screens, using Opera's Small Screen Rendering. The content is compressed, then delivered to the phone in a markup language called OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language). When the content reaches the phone it has been reduced in size by typically 70-90%

Source:www.wikipedia.org

So. Opera mini isnt a browser as we thought until now.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Although it is not a widely known fact, i knew about it since the start of Opera mini days.

This is the processing, which is shown in the opera mini status bar.

A commendable performance by Opera, offering free service to users. They processed a billion pages last month!!

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
@ pathiks
You knew it , but you never indicated about this fact while you answered problem about Opera mini.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
opera mini is an excellent mobile-browser... it works like a charm. Guys is there any free and good mobile browsers like this for Windows Mobile 6 ??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
rockthegod said:
opera mini is an excellent mobile-browser... it works like a charm. Guys is there any free and good mobile browsers like this for Windows Mobile 6 ??

I believe you already know that Opera Mobile does support WM6... but alas its not free. Also I belive the inbuilt browser ( IE mobile ) does a pretty decent job.

Last edited:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Yep.. I am using it. I just messed up between "mini" and "mobile" .. :) Yeah, just wanted to know whether any of u guys know about some other bowser than these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom