Dell Laptop purchase + your opinions

Which laptop would you buy or already have bought??

• Compaq

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ibm

• Fujitsu

• Toshiba

• Sony Vaio

• All other (ACi, Msi, Zenith, etc)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanbee

Padawan
Hi all,
Im going to buy my first laptop and i want opinions on Dell as i have reson to belive that they are very sturdy, good specs , decently priced and available all over the world.

Please let me know your opinions (especially owners of dell laptops) and even from others who know or have read about them.

Waiting for some opinions... :?:

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I own a Dell Inspiron 9100 and I'm pretty happy with it. Dell's a good brand and their laptops are not as expensive when compared with other brands. Sony and Toshiba are very expensive and sometimes offer old configs for high prices. IBM is good for business use but again, too expensive. Fujitsu is nice but stay away as it is not widely available. Compaq/HP is strictly OK but you would be better off going with Dell instead. And out of the remaining, Acer is a good option. If you can give a budget and what you intended use of the laptop is, we can help you better :D

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
Nemesis said:
I own a Dell Inspiron 9100 and I'm pretty happy with it. Dell's a good brand and their laptops are not as expensive when compared with other brands. Sony and Toshiba are very expensive and sometimes offer old configs for high prices. IBM is good for business use but again, too expensive. Fujitsu is nice but stay away as it is not widely available. Compaq/HP is strictly OK but you would be better off going with Dell instead. And out of the remaining, Acer is a good option. If you can give a budget and what you intended use of the laptop is, we can help you better :D

Ok my budget is around 85k and frankly i want a good desktop replacement although iam very sceptical wether i will get a very heavy machine as this 9300 model has a 17" screen !!!
Bascially apart from managing my daily work on excel worksheets to making presentations and playing games ....................basically i want a replacement desktop nothing less.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
with 85k budget...u can go for Sony vaio (only possib if someone is coming from US hehehe) ... check out compusadotcom

if u need to buy one from india, i gues dell is a good option. i got inspiron 510m pentium m for 52k from singapore.

my frn in US got centrino dell (dont rem model) for just around 45k (950$)

watch out for dell coupans on notebookreviewdotcom .. u can get a decent bargain...u will also get many reviews on dell on notebookreview.

ibm is good but the looks pissed me off.

my conclusion -

buying from india - Dell

buying from US - Sony (in india they costs almost double)

best luck

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
To tell you the truth Dell india is also quite expensive than Dell (usa). The inspiron for example costs 83,900/- + taxes extra + delivery. The same thing in the Usa i calculated at around 58k only/- That to me is also quite a difference.

Prices of laptops have fallen in india but still not that much. :cry:

So practically if i spend the same amount in the Us as in india i might get so many ad-ons its unbelivable. :eek:

suave_guy

pedal to metal
Yes dell offers best price to performance ratio, nothing can match that....
Acer is also decently priced but most of the time suffers with some technical probs like faulty optical drives....it is said that its rare to find an acer laptop without any malfunctioning part
sony vaio is very expensive....
toshiba is known for its heating probs....
compaq/hp feels like they are still dewelling in a good old dream world....most of their configs are expensive and outdated
LG laptops are nothing much to talk about, they were never popular and are avaiable in few countries like india....their international site doesnt even list laptops any more i guess...correct me if i'm wrong...
IBM is not meant for the desktop replacement purposes....
ACi is a good buy if u happen to live in UK coz their services in india suffers plus they have no major new releases in a year or two..
MSI offers good laptops for medium performance and is highly recommended for those looking for decent performance....
fujitsu is another reliable brand but as nemesis said they are not widely available...
however you missed out on a major brand called samsung....samsung is one of the major laptop brand....and most of their products are efficient and sleek....
since you want a desktop replacement so here's waht i suggest....
1.dell inspiron 9300 with 17" widescreen and ati x600 graphics
2. Samsung M40 plus, very sleek and efficient with ati 9700 pro graphics and 17" widescreen....very popular in UK

i'm myself going to buy dell inspiron 6000 and i can tell u without a doubt that dell is best for reliability and price...

ENjoy....

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
Isn't the inspiron 6000 a bit like the 9300 with just a few features less??? i think it is simliar in the looks department as well.

Maybe i should consider this as well and save some money?

Also if anyone can answer this..........
Why is the mobile chip technology always behind the desktop............while i bought a 3.0ghz chip on my desktop................the majority of laptops available today are still 1.6, 1.7, 2.0 and so on..............

What mobile processor would be equivalent to a 3.0ghz desktop chip, or are they the same?

why is this so?

suave_guy

pedal to metal
yes it is same in terms of looks plus both comes with dell's own version of media center software and dvd playback controls on the base of the laptop front....
the difference is that inspiron 6000 comes with 15.4" widescreen and ati x300(not so efficient) and this is where inspiron 9300 scores with 17" widescreen and ati x600, but money wise inspiron 6000 offers best value for money....
also have a look for samsung M40 plus...visit samsung UK site and see its detailed configuration
ENjoy....

suave_guy

pedal to metal
dell inspiron 9000 has ati x600 and inspiron 9300 has gf 6800 i'm sorry for the mistake....if u want a bridge b/w a high end performer and a decent performer then consider inspiron 9000....

ENjoy....

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
suave_guy said:
...if u want a bridge b/w a high end performer and a decent performer then consider inspiron 9000....

ENjoy....

Which model is this , i couldn't find it on the net??

sumitava_b

In the zone
suave_guy said:
dell inspiron 9000 has ati x600 and inspiron 9300 has gf 6800 i'm sorry for the mistake....if u want a bridge b/w a high end performer and a decent performer then consider inspiron 9000....

ENjoy....

First thing is that there is no Inspiron 9000 model available. I searched Dell site and all.

Second thing is that inspiron 9300 is offering 64 MB ATI Radeon X300. You can upgrade it to 256 MB GF 6800 Go, obviously after making ur pocket lighter :) Please correct me if I am wrong.

One thing I wanted to know. Dell is showing the price (excluding tax) of Inspiron 9300 as around 84K. After VAT and all, how much it will be?

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
As far as i know vat is in two brackets 4.0% and 12.5% and i think it will be in the later bracket. Just like everything else computers should be getting expensive too at least for the moment.

suave_guy

pedal to metal
yes there's no dell inspiron 9000, i just checked out the dell site....to clear the confusion:
there are two options for u:
1. dell inspiron 6000 with 15.4" widescreen and 64mb or 128 mb ati x300.....best for decent performance but wont last long enough if u plan to play latest games on it
2. dell inspiron 9300 with 17" widescreen, however i think that if u plan to buy this model then dont pick ati x300 rather pick GF go 6800....otherwise inspiron 6000 and inspiron 9300 wont make a big diference except the screen size....
but the true desktop replacement is dell inspiron XPS Gen2...i'm not sure is it available in india but u can have a look at it at dell's UK site....
also consider Samsung M40 plus....

ENjoy...

EDIT: There's another very interesting model lined up by dell....its Dell Latitude D810, it has 15.4" widescreen and one advantage it has over inspiron 6000 is that this model comes with 128 MB ati X600....so if u cant afford GF 6800 and ok with 15.4" widescreen then this is the model for u...

sumitava_b

In the zone
Yes suave_guy, I checked the US site of Dell for inspiron 9300. For 6800 card updradation they are charging $129 more. I dunno about indian scenario as it is not given in indian site. If anybody knows it please post it soon.

Can anyone quote the price of Samsung M40 plus in India?

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@sumitava_b
u betta check samsungindia.com for da laptop price wid config.well i dun hav much idea bout lappy as i hav been takin advise from suave.but wat i kno dat Dell is juz awesome but samsung and ibm r not dat behind atleast in india.bout IBM every one kno how gud it is built quility and all those thins but wen it comes 2 samsung i dunno why people dun talk much bout it few of my frnz and cousins r usin samsung laptops and they say its really gud.yaa LG,HP,Compaq literally sux i m very much sure bout dat :lol:.nywayz
tell us wat u hav decided...

sumitava_b

In the zone
For IBM or Samsung, u have to shell out above Rs. 1L to get a decent lappy. So they r out of my choice immediately. Planning for a dell inspiron 6000 with modifications (graphics card, hd, dvd writer updates) which will cost me around 80K

mamba

In the zone
yeah 9300 is gud enough ( dunno bout india coz all the dell ads show the x300 64 mb gpu . u can try out toshiba satellite m40 also , its got a Go 6600 128 mb gpu

as 4 me , will b tryin 2 lay my hands on 1 of the xps gen2 lappies , as soon as i reach canada :D

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
Writing from abroad. Got the Dell 9300 hundred with quite a few upgrades + a beauty of a laptop case in 95k...........
awesome machine with awesome features. Delivered in 4 days flat.
Forget Dell india...........its awfull

mamba

In the zone
rohanbee said:
Writing from abroad. Got the Dell 9300 hundred with quite a few upgrades + a beauty of a laptop case in 95k...........

hey

had ne experiences with xps gen2 ?? how does it compare 2 the 9300

dont post no biased opinion :D

sumitava_b

In the zone
rohanbee said:

Congrats, Rohan on having such a powerhouse performer at 95K only!!!! Please let us know the specs of ur machine soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom