Dell Inspiron M501R vs Inspiron 15R : Which to prefer

hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a multimedia laptop this festive season but am totally confused now.

I want a gig with good HD graphics + HDMI port + sensual gaming & mostly i wud use it for HD movie viewing.
DELL has launched a new Inspiron M501 series with AMD chipsets. Could you please suggest which 1 to go for. Either older Inspiron series with intel CPU + higher prices(42k= for low end gigs) + lesser gig OR New Isnpiron series M501 R series with AMD Phenom II Quad core CPU + lower price(42K is t highest) + 1 GB graphics card.

m looking forward to newer series but wud tht b worth it.....please help me out guys...........

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ whats your budget?

if gaming, look for HD5650 graphics + i3/i5 proccy. coupled with 3-4Gb ram. will cost 45-50k. AMD proccy are power hungry compared to i*. so won't recommend. will eat your lappies battery very fast. BTW what gigs mean? Gigabyte or Gb?

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Actually the N930 has a TDP of 35w v. a comparable i7 of 45w. @OP: the 550v will not suffice for "sensual gaming". For gaming, a quad core wion't offer you any advantages, what you need is a laptop with an i5. However, if gaming is your primary concern, you would be better served to purchase a desktop as the graphic cards in virtually every mainstream laptop is usable only for light gaming. If you are willing to spend around 85k, HP has a laptop that would fit your bill.

btw: I just purchased an Inspiron M501R.

OP
K

kyldeepbhardwaj

Broken In
Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.

@teknoPhobia :
How dod you find the new laptop dude......means how its working and does it has HDMI port?

@Sam.Shab,
Thanks a lot for adding that info. I have come across some other brands apart from DELL like HP DV6 , Lenovo Y series & SONY VIAO E Series......could you please suggest which 1 to go for if my basic criteria is HD movies viewing + mid tier gaming.........my budget is approx 50k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Actually the N930 has a TDP of 35w v. a comparable i7 of 45w.

but Phenom II no match for i7. Phenom II quad cores based lappy best for field engineers that need check complex design without going for a 80-100k laptop. also OP's budget won't allow i7, if i7, than no graphics card.

@OP: the 550v will not suffice for "sensual gaming". For gaming, a quad core wion't offer you any advantages, what you need is a laptop with an i5. However, if gaming is your primary concern, you would be better served to purchase a desktop as the graphic cards in virtually every mainstream laptop is usable only for light gaming.

this part i have to agree.

Thanks a lot for adding that info. I have come across some other brands apart from DELL like HP DV6 , Lenovo Y series & SONY VIAO E Series......could you please suggest which 1 to go for if my basic criteria is HD movies viewing + mid tier gaming.........my budget is approx 50k

at that price, sony have a laptop power by HD5650. the card is underclocked but the laptop is good. you'll loose out a few frames but thats better than to face heating issue a year or two later.

same discussion going on in one of the other active threads here. so have a look.

OP
K

kyldeepbhardwaj

Broken In
thanks a lot guys for all your help. It was a great help n i sincerely appreciate that.

I have bought Toshiba L650 X310 lappy......fullly rigged @ 51K

Top Bottom