Dell Inspiron 1520 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
So the only thing is Looks department, I saw pics of XPS M5130 online but need to see some real life Pics of Inspiron 1520.
1520 looks exactly like 1420. I guess you can find many pics of that. For 1525 however, you may wanna wait sometime for real life pics.

Apple is out of question. It starts at 58k
Lolz.. now whoever thot that its a possibility is the greatest fool on TD forums! :))

Pathik

Google Bot
I dont think taking it after the budget ll make any difference. And go for the xps with a 8600gt.

I dont think taking it after the budget ll make any difference. And go for the xps with a 8600gt.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Nah, if I go for XPS M1530 then it will be with GeForce 8400GS only. I would have selected GMA X3100 if that was available as GMA X3100 is all I will need.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Nah, if I go for XPS M1530 then it will be with GeForce 8400GS only. I would have selected GMA X3100 if that was available as GMA X3100 is all I will need.
Performance wise there is difference yaar. My Dell had X3100 and my Mac has 8400gt. There's a sea of difference in the performances.

But your school might start in May/June, so no harm in waiting another 3-4 months.

gx_saurav said:
Apple is out of question. It starts at 58k
Even if you can afford XPS, you're thinking about that 10k (but you're not thinking abt productivity/performance) how will you go for an Apple. None suggested you a Mac. Also for your need, you want to run an inferior OS.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Performance wise there is difference yaar. My Dell had X3100 and my Mac has 8400gt. There's a sea of difference in the performances.

Performance of what grudge, that's the question. If you are asking for performance to run the OS then the texal & processing power of GMA X3100 is maximum 20% less then GeForce

Even if you can afford XPS, you're thinking about that 10k (but you're not thinking abt productivity/performance) how will you go for an Apple. None suggested you a Mac. Also for your need, you want to run an inferior OS.

Don't get me started again Grudge, this is a hardware thread not for the Software. I could have bought a Macbook & install Vista on it removing Mac OS X, but the cost is very high & it's not a value for money which I m looking for.

drgrudge

^^
You might see difference while playing HD movies. My Dell didn't have issues with 720p, but not sure about 1080p as I've played it. When you try to 'seek' a place or try to use the seekbar often, you'll see what I'm talking about.

You might want to run Maya, Photoshop and stuffs. Do the tasks with X3100 and 8400gt, you'll know what I' talking about. X3100 is no match for 8400gt even with 2 GB RAM.

I had a lappy with onboard and dedicated graphics, from my expeirence, I'm telling. But then your money, your wish.

None brought Apple in here, but yourself and now you're talking?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^
You might see difference while playing HD movies. My Dell didn't have issues with 720p, but not sure about 1080p as I've played it. When you try to 'seek' a place or try to use the seekbar often, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Ok first, I m not into HD movies anyway, so this is irrelevent. If I have to download HD Rips then they will be maximum 720p anyway.

2nd, have a look at the GMA X3100 white papers. It has inbuilt hardware decoding of H.264 & VC-1 codecs just like GeForce 8400GS, so playing 720p HD movies won't be a problem.

You might want to run Maya, Photoshop and stuffs. Do the tasks with X3100 and 8400gt, you'll know what I' talking about. X3100 is no match for 8400gt even with 2 GB RAM.

Nah, I won't be doing any 3Ds Max on it. On Windows Vista, GMA X3100 support hardware acceleration of the UI which Photoshop CS3 will be able to make use of, again...like I said this laptop will be used mostly for

1) Chatting & VoIP with family & friends.
2) Browsing
3) MS Office
4) Downloading contents
5) Music & Movies but not much.

For all these tasks I don't need the power of 8400GS & X3100 would suffice, X3100 is made for Windows Vista, other then gaming it is enough for everything else even with shared RAM.
I had a lappy with onboard and dedicated graphics, from my expeirence, I'm telling. But then your money, your wish.

Which Onboard graphics???Onboard graphics have improved a lot with GMA X3100

drgrudge

^^
Running your things and getting the best out of your system is completely a different thing. If you're going to use for basic needs, then get 1520/1525. You said XPS is under your budget, so suggested you.

You're going to get the lappy after some time only naa. Things would be a lot different then.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^
Running your things and getting the best out of your system is completely a different thing. If you're going to use for basic needs, then get 1520/1525. You said XPS is under your budget, so suggested you.

Dell 1520 or 1525 should be good enough for my needs. But since XPS looks sexy, depending on the permission of my father I might go for that instead. Does dell provides laptops on EMI????

You're going to get the lappy after some time only naa. Things would be a lot different then.

That's why I m not worried, GMA X3500 in Intel G35 chipset is about to arrive on laptops with Shader Model 4.0 (DirectX 10 features), a better schedular & OpenGL 2.0 support.

Pathik

Google Bot
@gx, If u dont want a gpu, then just get a 1420 with 2gb ram +t5450. Powerful enuf 4 ur needs. u ll get it in about 39k.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Even x4500 is about to launch soon.. The lappy versions may be due in q3 2k8

Q3 2008 will be too late, the maximum I can wait is june as that is when the session will start.

Anyway, let's just see, let me give the GD & PI first....haven't got the admission yet. :D

If I go back to job in bangalore then Dell XPS M1530 with 8600GT is fixed, cos I will be running 3ds Max a lot on it

drgrudge

Ok first, I m not into HD movies anyway, so this is irrelevent. If I have to download HD Rips then they will be maximum 720p anyway.

2nd, have a look at the GMA X3100 white papers. It has inbuilt hardware decoding of H.264 & VC-1 codecs just like GeForce 8400GS, so playing 720p HD movies won't be a problem.
Dude, there won't be any issue with HDTV rips. Your 18 month old PC can also play. But when it's Blu Ray/HD DVD rip, the bitrate is going to be a lot higher. Full 1080p rips have around 10mpbs audio bitrate. I'm sure it'll struggle in X3100.

A Blu Ray 720p rip with a higher resolution than HDTV rips takes 3-4 seconds to start playing in my Mac which is a Santa Rosa Intel Proccy, 3 GB Ram with 8400gt.

1080p might struggle. Even the higher bitrate 720p might struggle in X3100.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Dude, there won't be any issue with HDTV rips. Your 18 month old PC can also play. But when it's Blu Ray/HD DVD rip, the bitrate is going to be a lot higher. Full 1080p rips have around 10mpbs audio bitrate. I'm sure it'll struggle in X3100.

This doesn't apply to me, m not into 1080p HD videos anyway grudge.

sudhir_mangla

Broken In
Dell Inspiron 1520 is no longer available in India it is replaced by Dell Inspiron 1525. So you can't get Dell Inspiron 1520 in India now

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Emergency boys.....Education emergency. I m leaving Lucknow on 10th February, GD & PI date is on 14 February (there goes my valentines :(,,but hey I m single this year :p).

How many days does it usually take for dell to ship a laptop? Will XPS M1530 be available at EMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom