Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

Gtb93

In the zone
Can someone tell me what's ICC? like saying HD7730M 2GB DDR3 ICC.
Plus on the dell website, it only says dedicated graphics card for the first and the third laptop on the 15r insipiron SE page.
Misprint? or deliberate?
And regarding FHD and stuff. Is it a good option to go for FHD on the 15rSE with 7730? I mean I get that I can't play FHD with 7730 on decent settings, and I don't care for much eyecandy. I'm more of the smooth-gameplay oriented types, I could care less about how the water looks around me. But the 7730 can play most games at 1388* something reso right? In let's say mid-high? I'm not looking for ultra, I guess 650M could do that.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
1. ICC= International Color Consortium

2. AFAIK all the 15R SE models have the same dedicated Graphic card.

3. You won't be able to play games on FHD with that card, but you can set the resolution to 900p/720p and play games. But the FHD screen is good for watching movies and other stuff. Please visit this link for more info regarding this cards performance- Link

4. Yes, the 7730 is very much capable to play games at 720p and 900p with medium to high settings ( depends upon the game).

5. You can also look at the Samsung NP550P5c- S01IN

Last edited:

Gtb93

In the zone
Thanks for the elaborate reply Abhishek!
for,
2. the confusion what I had was, since "dedicated" was mentioned only in about 2 models, I concluded that the other two might be "integrated" chips, aren't they kind of different? Anyway, I guess it's the same card in all[7730]
5. Yes, I already had these two models, the 15RSE and the S01IN in mind, for about a month now. Still confused, but I'm going to go for one of them, during the ganesh chaturthi festival timeperiod. :]

ratul

█████████████████
Thanks for the elaborate reply Abhishek!
for,
2. the confusion what I had was, since "dedicated" was mentioned only in about 2 models, I concluded that the other two might be "integrated" chips, aren't they kind of different? Anyway, I guess it's the same card in all[7730]
5. Yes, I already had these two models, the 15RSE and the S01IN in mind, for about a month now. Still confused, but I'm going to go for one of them, during the ganesh chaturthi festival timeperiod. :]

2. It's a misprint only, all inspiron 15R SE comes with Dedicated 2GB 7730m.
5. both are very capable models, samsung for graphics performance(15-25% performance increase), dell for superb after sales service (samsung is said to be hit by the apple thing, so their servicing has really become poor for now, but is said to recover pretty soon)..

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Does anyone know where I can find the 15R SE with FHD in kolkata? Planning on buying it soon.

Do M.D computers have it? (Its kinda of pointless calling them up since they confuse the normal 15R SE with the FHD one and say that its available.)

raj_55555

Journeyman
Does anyone know where I can find the 15R SE with FHD in kolkata? Planning on buying it soon.

Do M.D computers have it? (Its kinda of pointless calling them up since they confuse the normal 15R SE with the FHD one and say that its available.)

Good luck with that.. Have you even seen the normal 15R SE there or are you just taking there word for it? When I was searching for the 15R SE, they confused the 3rd gen proccy inspiron with the SE model. Ask them for the price, if it's below 48 k, remain assured that it's not even the SE. Nobody in kolkata has it, at least that's what I was told. It's not even sure whether it will ever stocked in kolkata or not.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ No I asked them about the 15R SE. They had it but were quoting 54.5k for something that has an MRP of 53.9k.

So I didn't buy it.

Its sad that I can't find the FHD version here. I really needed it. Can't live with lame screens -_-

raj_55555

Journeyman
^ No I asked them about the 15R SE. They had it but were quoting 54.5k for something that has an MRP of 53.9k.

So I didn't buy it.

Its sad that I can't find the FHD version here. I really needed it. Can't live with lame screens -_-

I would have suggested you to order online for the FHD one, but the hassles involved are far too great. Maybe you should ask them if they can bring one for you.

Adityaak

Right off the assembly line
1. ICC= International Color Consortium

2. AFAIK all the 15R SE models have the same dedicated Graphic card.

3. You won't be able to play games on FHD with that card, but you can set the resolution to 900p/720p and play games. But the FHD screen is good for watching movies and other stuff. Please visit this link for more info regarding this cards performance- Link

4. Yes, the 7730 is very much capable to play games at 720p and 900p with medium to high settings ( depends upon the game).

5. You can also look at the Samsung NP550P5c- S01IN

i am playing many games with ultra high settings @ 1080p

Anyone know how to do restore from recovery drive provided by Dell????
if i want to restore my lappi to factory setting what will be the procedure?
Thanks!

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Yes I know. Thats the reason I am not opting for online buying. And the place where I stay at isn't very courier friendly either.

Do you think I will be able to get the 15R SE FHD(i5) at the dell official showroom at kankurgachi?? As in do the official showrooms keep the 1080p models?

ratul

█████████████████

Thanks!

why you want factory settings?? all those bloatwares will come again, and you'll have to update the drivers yet again...
btw, i've no idea about the procedure, i deleted the recovery partition on the day i received this lappy... :p:wink::-D

Gtb93

In the zone

Thanks!

Whoa. Do let me know which are the games you're 'maxing out' at 1080p with a 7730M..

&

*support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_336966&isLegacy=true

ratul

█████████████████
You shouldn't have done it :(

And can you explain why??? :p
I don't see any reason for a waste partition eating away my 13GB's of HDD space, i would've never used it, as i like to format my system, rather than to use recovery partition..
And i am not sure, but recovery would've taken the lappy to "factory default" settings, means all those bloatwares and old drivers would've been back, also Win7HP, which i again had to format for my win7ultimate..
Recovery in my case, is for beginners, who don't like to customise and love factory settings.. :wink:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Y so?? I too have done it.

And can you explain why??? :p
I don't see any reason for a waste partition eating away my 13GB's of HDD space, i would've never used it, as i like to format my system, rather than to use recovery partition..
And i am not sure, but recovery would've taken the lappy to "factory default" settings, means all those bloatwares and old drivers would've been back, also Win7HP, which i again had to format for my win7ultimate..
Recovery in my case, is for beginners, who don't like to customise and love factory settings.. :wink:

Well well, recovery partition does comes handy when you don't want to carry the OS DVD/PD all the time, and there may be a time when you missed you recovery media and still need to format.

And yeah, recovery would bring back your laptop with all those bloatwares, but you can always remove them, not a big deal. Regarding drivers, except graphics drivers, rest aren't much worthy to upgrade (in most cases), so one manual driver update is also easy. Plus, do tell me, what exactly have you made use of ultimate over HP ? (except aero) And recovery in no way is for beginners. (you dubbed it like that).

ratul

█████████████████
Well well, recovery partition does comes handy when you don't want to carry the OS DVD/PD all the time, and there may be a time when you missed you recovery media and still need to format.

And yeah, recovery would bring back your laptop with all those bloatwares, but you can always remove them, not a big deal. Regarding drivers, except graphics drivers, rest aren't much worthy to upgrade (in most cases), so one manual driver update is also easy. Plus, do tell me, what exactly have you made use of ultimate over HP ? (except aero) And recovery in no way is for beginners. (you dubbed it like that).

Well, ultimate has a huge advantage for me in working in virtual environments and managing group policies..
See here for comparison...
*i.imgur.com/qDIRo.jpg​
Group policy is the main feature for me, as i manage my settings and account privileges with it, also when i was doing my networking classes and working on Windows server on VMWare, there were some feature my teacher told that'll only work on win7ultimate (i think it to be VDI from above image), so i was at the advantage there.. :p
Also, Remote Desktop Connection, which is not available on HP, how can i even live without it.. :p (i know there are alternatives like logmein, but Remote Desktop Connection feels very right and easy)..
IT professionals loses many important tools with Home premium, so better to use win7ultimate..

Last edited:
Top Bottom