Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
ok guys, now even i am a bit skeptical about 7730m's kicking in ability (enduro)..
I recently downloaded F1 2012 Demo via Steam (on thursday), and played for 1-1.5hrs, ran fine with slight stutter @ high settings, so i exited the game to see what was wrong..(temps were 90c of CPU :shock:, i thought there has to be something fishy going on)..
I put it in high performance mode in CCC, and ran, crashing on the main menu and launching after 10-15mins of clicking on icon, did'nt knew what was going on..
Today, i tried to put it in power saver mode and voila, it ran with the same frame rates (15-25 in high), but being in power saver mode, it was running on HD4000, so does games running on Intel GPU causes CPU to be @ high temps??

I don't think so. HD4000 @ 90° is just too much.

And who's at fault here for crashing of the game, AMD for non-compatible drivers, or F1, for not supporting AMD Graphics (Given that @ Steam Discussions, many users are facing this issue, mostly are with AMD Graphics)..

Is it happening continuously ?

Enduro: I am really surprised that when i ran for the first time, it was'nt assigned any mode manually, so a demanding game like F1 2012 should have automatically switched to 7730m, which it did'nt, so now i am in a bit confusion that how would i know that which games are running on AMD or Intel???

Sometimes some games may not get detected by CCC, but it has not happened with me till now. I haven't tried many games though.

ratul

█████████████████
I don't think so. HD4000 @ 90° is just too much.

Is it happening continuously ?

Sometimes some games may not get detected by CCC, but it has not happened with me till now. I haven't tried many games though.

yes, it's happening continuously, if i put it in high performance mode, game would launch about 10mins later, and till then continuously taking about 15% CPU, and after launching crashes on main menu loading screen, but in power saver mode, it just opens up instantaneously...

And even i am confused that how HD4000 can make CPU reach 90c, it can be that it's built into the CPU only, so when HD4000 heats up, it also heats CPU with it, thus reaching high temps..

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Nice, I certainly missed that.
So, 66k+ 5% VAT, + Any idea how much is the local taxes they're talking about(Mumbai/Pune)?

I was comparing the prices from Dell US and Dell India
15r SE 1099$ (dell us)
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

15r SE Rs 59990 (dell India)

17r SE 1099$ (dell US)

17r SE >1 lakh (dell India)

So, how come Rs. 59990 equals Rs. 1 lakh? :?:

shivang

Right off the assembly line
HELP ME IN CHOOSING THE RIGHT ONE..

I know Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN has 1600x900 resolution and good pixel density with 300 nits brightness.bt also has poor contrast ratio of 121:1 while both Dell inspiron 15R and its SE version has approx 553:1(glossy one) and 500:1(matte).. if anyone has looked up both laptop screen then plz give me good advice.
even my old lappie Dell inspiron 1525 has contrast ratio of 180:1 & believe me it comes no close to today's lcd panels..

Apart from heating issues it makes no sense of having awesome graphic card when ur Display sucks. :)

Pls help me bcoz i m going to buy laptop next week.

Adityaak

ok guys, now even i am a bit skeptical about 7730m's kicking in ability (enduro)..
I recently downloaded F1 2012 Demo via Steam (on thursday), and played for 1-1.5hrs, ran fine with slight stutter @ high settings, so i exited the game to see what was wrong..(temps were 90c of CPU :shock:, i thought there has to be something fishy going on)..
I put it in high performance mode in CCC, and ran, crashing on the main menu and launching after 10-15mins of clicking on icon, did'nt knew what was going on..
Today, i tried to put it in power saver mode and voila, it ran with the same frame rates (15-25 in high), but being in power saver mode, it was running on HD4000, so does games running on Intel GPU causes CPU to be @ high temps??

And who's at fault here for crashing of the game, AMD for non-compatible drivers, or F1, for not supporting AMD Graphics (Given that @ Steam Discussions, many users are facing this issue, mostly are with AMD Graphics)..

Enduro: I am really surprised that when i ran for the first time, it was'nt assigned any mode manually, so a demanding game like F1 2012 should have automatically switched to 7730m, which it did'nt, so now i am in a bit confusion that how would i know that which games are running on AMD or Intel???

if you open the catalyst control center of AMD you can see which application which uses intel hd 4000 or the 7730m

Is there any simple way to restore the .wim recovery files ???
i extracted the factory.wim file from the recovery drive of my lapi my dell datasafe local backup is not working so any simple way to restore to factory.wim
thanks in advance

saiyanorama

Hello everyone. I am planning to buy Dell Inspiron 17R SE with 3 year extended warranty, but on Dell's website it is not giving the option to extend my warranty. Is the 3 year warranty extension only applicable for specific models?
Thank you.

ratul

█████████████████
15r SE 1099$ (dell us)

17r SE 1099$ (dell US)

well if you see, 17R US model does'nt have 3D screen or 1.5TB hDD, though indian models tends to be a bit costlier than US models...

HELP ME IN CHOOSING THE RIGHT ONE..

I know Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN has 1600x900 resolution and good pixel density with 300 nits brightness.bt also has poor contrast ratio of 121:1 while both Dell inspiron 15R and its SE version has approx 553:1(glossy one) and 500:1(matte).. if anyone has looked up both laptop screen then plz give me good advice.
even my old lappie Dell inspiron 1525 has contrast ratio of 180:1 & believe me it comes no close to today's lcd panels..

Apart from heating issues it makes no sense of having awesome graphic card when ur Display sucks. :)

Pls help me bcoz i m going to buy laptop next week.

you answered your own ques, if you are not satisfied with heating and display (which you obviously can't change after buying), then you must opt for 15R SE only..
Remember 7730m is just made to seem lower end graphics card by some folks here, but the performance difference in 650m ddr3 and 7730m is roughly 15-25%..

if you open the catalyst control center of AMD you can see which application which uses intel hd 4000 or the 7730m

Is there any simple way to restore the .wim recovery files ???
i extracted the factory.wim file from the recovery drive of my lapi my dell datasafe local backup is not working so any simple way to restore to factory.wim
thanks in advance

dude, i already know that, that's just lame of you to be writing this.. :p
if you read my statement carefully, i said that it works on Power Saving mode (aka HD4000)...
and regarding .wim, don't know how to do it in Win7, but i do in Windows Server 2008.. :p

Hello everyone. I am planning to buy Dell Inspiron 17R SE with 3 year extended warranty, but on Dell's website it is not giving the option to extend my warranty. Is the 3 year warranty extension only applicable for specific models?
Thank you.

that's really weird, coz recently it was available, and now only one model is shown in 17R SE with 1 yr warranty?? :shock:

Broken In
Thank you.

If u call Dell and speak to them, they will give you 3 yrs warranty. I bought the same with 3 yrs C.C :D

15r SE 1099$ (dell us)

17r SE 1099$ (dell US)

It has something to do with Duties imposed by Indian Government !!

ratul

█████████████████
guys, new video driver update for 15R SE available through DELL, 8.982.6.0, A02...
Download from here...

ratul

█████████████████
Have you installed them?
I just came to know they are meant for windows8 laptops!!

have'nt installed them, just downloaded them..
well, they could be based on 12.8 drivers by AMD, which supports windows 8, but that does'nt mean that these are just meant for win8, can be installed on win7 as well. :p

game-freak

In the zone
hi im considering buying 17r SE but i have some questions
1. does the laptop have any heating issues ?
2. any throttling issues ?
3. hows the display quality and build quality
4. i will be buying the i5 version so will it be ok for gaming as its a dual core processor
5. how future proof is the configuration when it comes to gaming(in terms of years)
would really appreciate if any1 who owns the same laptop answer the above questions
thnx in advance

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
well if you see, 17R US model does'nt have 3D screen or 1.5TB hDD, though indian models tends to be a bit costlier than US models...

I did contact dell India for replacing the Blue-ray with the dual layer dvd drive and removing the 3d screen and glasses completely. still they gave a 1.03 lakh rate... :cry:
View attachment 6926
View attachment 6927
View attachment 6928
View attachment 6929

OK, adding an extra hdd (500 GB) will cost about 5-6k i guess. what i still don't get is if dell can sell 1099$ 15r se at 60K, why can't they do it for the 1099$ 17r se? :-x

raj_55555

Journeyman
hi im considering buying 17r SE but i have some questions
1. does the laptop have any heating issues ?
2. any throttling issues ?
3. hows the display quality and build quality
4. i will be buying the i5 version so will it be ok for gaming as its a dual core processor
5. how future proof is the configuration when it comes to gaming(in terms of years)
would really appreciate if any1 who owns the same laptop answer the above questions
thnx in advance
1. Absolutely not! That's the best part about this one I guess.
2. Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean how it performs under stress, I guess it's works just about fine.
3. Display is very good, build quality not very good but not bad either.
4. I went for i5 myself. Believe it or not, i7 performs no better than i5 in 90% of the games (even the most recent ones).
5. I guess two years, but commenting on the future is a risky business.

ratul

█████████████████
I did contact dell India for replacing the Blue-ray with the dual layer dvd drive and removing the 3d screen and glasses completely. still they gave a 1.03 lakh rate... :cry:
View attachment 6926
View attachment 6927
View attachment 6928
View attachment 6929

OK, adding an extra hdd (500 GB) will cost about 5-6k i guess. what i still don't get is if dell can sell 1099$ 15r se at 60K, why can't they do it for the 1099$ 17r se? :-x

this is sick, :-X..
3D screen itself with glasses will cost ~30k acc to me..
and blu-ray drive ~5k, either they quoted wrong price, or you can take out the parts from lappy, but still have to pay full cost... :?
And 1066Mhz must be a typo only..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I get a better resolution screen with 15R? Like 1080p?

Basically I want a laptop with 1920x1080 screen. Even 1440x900 would do. i5 processor and faster/equal gfx to HD 7730M.

Top Bottom