Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ankurya1985

Rockstar In Nothing
i think 14r doesn't have a backlit keyboard n r there subwoofers in 15r as mentioned in your signature below?
14r has backlit keyboard option...when you place order tell them u want it...i am getting 14r with backlite keyboard...

i have ordered the 14r se and it doesnt have the backlit keyboard option... and there is no subwoofer in both 15r se and 14r se..
you have stucked with wrong sales person buddy...see thats the problem i faced with dell...they dont give you the exact information...

madmax012

Broken In
@ankurya1985

yeah i know...even my cousin ordered 14r se 2 weeks before me with backlit keyboard.... the sales rep i had chat with did not have a clue whether it could be added to 14r se model.. so i didnt bother persuading them... my current laptop (vaio) has a backlit keyboard and it certainly helps if you use ur pc at night in the dark... anyways i will contact dell later on for installing one separately if need arises..

Bhambya

Right off the assembly line
Guys
Does anyone use Linux on his new laptop? I am strugling with the wifi setup. Any help would be great (I am using a stage 3 gentoo installation and have gooogled hard for this issue)

I use archlinux and the driver is "iwlwifi". It is in the linux kernel.

saaransh9

Journeyman
14r has backlit keyboard option...when you place order tell them u want it...i am getting 14r with backlite keyboard...

you have stucked with wrong sales person buddy...see thats the problem i faced with dell...they dont give you the exact information...

n what abt subwoofers? can they be also added?
n how much did it cost u can u plz give the config

ankurya1985

Rockstar In Nothing
n what abt subwoofers? can they be also added?
n how much did it cost u can u plz give the config
config is same as shown at dell (here)just backlit keyboard is added...
prices are hiked since i purchased...dell showed 61275 plus taxes when i purchased it n with backlite 1000 added...i paid 65338 to them...
now dell shows 65228 plus taxes...

n well no idea about subwoofers...

@ankurya1985

yeah i know...even my cousin ordered 14r se 2 weeks before me with backlit keyboard.... the sales rep i had chat with did not have a clue whether it could be added to 14r se model.. so i didnt bother persuading them... my current laptop (vaio) has a backlit keyboard and it certainly helps if you use ur pc at night in the dark... anyways i will contact dell later on for installing one separately if need arises..

yupp thats why i forced to have a backlite one...if they change it that will be great for you...

player100

Broken In
Can anyone explain what will be the use of mSATA SSD - 32GB in Dell 17r SE . The size is very less, so in what purpose it can be used. and will it show a different 32GB hard disk area than 1TB hard disk.

potheadninja

Broken In
i installed, but just played skyrim and gta IV w/ icenhancer 2.1, improvement in both, did'nt try with fraps, but it was visible..
Did 3DMark11, same score as it was 1865, just 1 pt. increase.. :p

Hey ratul can you please tell me how you installed the new 12.8 driver? I tried to install but it is not working, I first completely uninstalled the old drivers then rebooted and installed the new drivers followed by another reboot but I got an error message after reboot saying graphics card driver or the card is not properly installed. I didnt face any issues while installing. Thanks in advance for any help.

ratul

█████████████████
Hey ratul can you please tell me how you installed the new 12.8 driver? I tried to install but it is not working, I first completely uninstalled the old drivers then rebooted and installed the new drivers followed by another reboot but I got an error message after reboot saying graphics card driver or the card is not properly installed. I didnt face any issues while installing. Thanks in advance for any help.

i just uninstalled 12.7 beta and then installed 12.8, it's working fine for me..
but you can try one more thing..

1. Completely uninstall every video driver (even intel's) from your system, you can use revo uninstaller.
2. Install the driver provided by dell.
3. After installing it, AMD 12.6 drivers will be installed, uninstall them.
4. After that, manually delete every AMD or ATI folder in Program Files or Program Files x86, and also c:\amd.
5. then install 12.8 drivers.

That should work acc to me.. :doublethumb:.

Can anyone explain what will be the use of mSATA SSD - 32GB in Dell 17r SE . The size is very less, so in what purpose it can be used. and will it show a different 32GB hard disk area than 1TB hard disk.

yes, if you'll see in bios, two hard disks will be shown, one msata and another the 1tb HDD..
Install Windows in msata only, will make booting times and system apps faster..
32GB is enough for windows i think, but remember to disable pagefile, and keep more than 10% free everytime on msata, as it has limited r/w cycle..

player100

Broken In
^^It helps in booting Windows faster

It that all..... And for playing games????

yes, if you'll see in bios, two hard disks will be shown, one msata and another the 1tb HDD..
Install Windows in msata only, will make booting times and system apps faster..
32GB is enough for windows i think, but remember to disable pagefile, and keep more than 10% free everytime on msata, as it has limited r/w cycle..

suppose i have my windows i other HDD(not in mSATA). Then if i install my game in mSATA Drive. Then will it give me better FPS?
And u said in bios i can see 2 HDD.. but after loading windows, will it be visible.

ratul

█████████████████
It that all..... And for playing games????

suppose i have my windows i other HDD(not in mSATA). Then if i install my game in mSATA Drive. Then will it give me better FPS?
And u said in bios i can see 2 HDD.. but after loading windows, will it be visible.

games in msata=better performance/fps..
but it's not recommended, as it'll put enormous pressure on msata (it's not SSD bro, just a small version of it used for caching), and seeing today's games, just install MP3 and msata is full..
better just install windows on it..
after windows screen, i don't know as i have not seen that, but it should be visible as another drive only i suppose (just like when you connect external HDD),,

dan4u

Took Off!!!
games in msata=better performance/fps..
but it's not recommended, as it'll put enormous pressure on msata (it's not SSD bro, just a small version of it used for caching), and seeing today's games, just install MP3 and msata is full..
better just install windows on it..
after windows screen, i don't know as i have not seen that, but it should be visible as another drive only i suppose (just like when you connect external HDD),,

No bro, installing games in ssd/msata does not improve fps, it just improves the load times, fps increase is hardly different from a hdd. installing windows and frequently used software (vlc, chrome etc) is recommended in ssd/msata..

aAdirulz

Broken In
hey planning 4
Dell New Inspiron 15R 3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ 1GB Graphics/ Linux Laptop
is that a good 1?

core i5 (3rd gen),4gb ram, 500gbHDD, 1gb graphics(for playing games so ply consider d best in its category), a good battery life with a portability factor

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Is AMD better than NVidia? I heard that AMD GPU produces heat quickly.

It's the funniest thing I ever I read after a long time. :rofl:
FYI In nowadays AMD is much much cooler than nvidia GPUs. Mine always remain under 70*C even after hours of gaming. My previous laptop has nvidia GPU and it heats like hell over 95*C

Last edited:

player100

Broken In
Is Inspiron 17r SE upgradable?
Is there anybody having the 3D model of Inspiron 17r SE? I couldn't find a review about the i7 with 3d and 32GB mSATA?
Can anyone tell more about that models performance and the display quality?

hpblze

Broken In
Same here any one have the 17r se ? and how soon you got it , cuz when I spoke to dell they said 4 weeks delivery cuz its gona be imported from Malaysia
Because if you have to wait that long better get a great laptop with hi end specs from ebay global easybuy .. it takes same time

dan4u

Took Off!!!
It's the funniest thing I ever I read after a long time. :rofl:
FYI In nowadays AMD is much much cooler than nvidia GPUs. Mine always remain under 70*C even after hours of gaming. My previous laptop has nvidia GPU and it heats like hell over 95*C

really?? my cousins got the 6165tx (with latest drivers, bios), we played saints row the third for an hour, cpu temp was 91c and gpu 86c.....and I felt enduro was not as friendly and accurate as optimus....

Last edited:

SlayerAndy

Broken In
Is Inspiron 17r SE upgradable?
Is there anybody having the 3D model of Inspiron 17r SE? I couldn't find a review about the i7 with 3d and 32GB mSATA?
Can anyone tell more about that models performance and the display quality?

I have one. The 32GB mSATA is only for booting times. The laptop boots in mere 17 secs and shuts down in 9 secs. The performance is good, and so is the FHD display.

Top Bottom