Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ratul

█████████████████
@ anyone who installed the 12.8 drivers.
Did you guys find any +ve/-ve effects on any game or anywhere else??

i installed, but just played skyrim and gta IV w/ icenhancer 2.1, improvement in both, did'nt try with fraps, but it was visible..
Did 3DMark11, same score as it was 1865, just 1 pt. increase.. :p

saaransh9

Journeyman
well, as it's beta driver, you see that 3dmark11 says "Graphics Driver not approved.", or it could be that Futuremarks still has'nt updated their databases.. :p
Yes, it's performing better than stock 640m, much better, as Notebookcheck shows 3dmark 11 score of 640m as 1844.2, which is of GDDR5 640m, our 7730m is a ddr3 card, and still scores much higher (20pts) than GDDR5 640m, as i read somewhere that Directx11 has about 25% performance increase in GDDR5 against ddr3..

And yes, i have lowered down the clock to default stock, will use only when needed, and it's still not intensely tested, so let's wait for some other users to test these settings for longer use..
And once official drivers are launched, i see these cards going ~2000 on 3dmark11, hope this happens.. :2subs:

i think u should see the results for 7730m from the same site n compare they r much lower than 640m i think u should tell someone with 14r se to test the gpu only then u can compare it.

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
Installed on my lappy but Catalyst control center and switchable graphics not working for me. Have i done something wrong. I'd appreciate if someone post his steps to the successful installation of this driver.
I've just installed it over the previous version.

ratul

█████████████████
i think u should see the results for 7730m from the same site n compare they r much lower than 640m i think u should tell someone with 14r se to test the gpu only then u can compare it.

dude, if you have read some more previous posts, then you'll realise that the score i posted was of overclocked 7730m by 100mhz..
Scores on notebookcheck are with stock clocks and old drivers..

Installed on my lappy but Catalyst control center and switchable graphics not working for me. Have i done something wrong. I'd appreciate if someone post his steps to the successful installation of this driver.
I've just installed it over the previous version.

Well, as i was using 12.7beta, so i just uninstalled the previous driver and fresh installed 12.8, it is not considered safe to install official drivers over beta drivers.. :wink:

Bhambya

Right off the assembly line
So what do you guys think? The BSOD problem is because of the drivers or faulty laptop? Because I can run Batman Arkham City without any problems but cannot run ME3, Skyrim, assassins creed revelations, I cannot figure out where the problem lies. Please reply :)

ratul

█████████████████
So what do you guys think? The BSOD problem is because of the drivers or faulty laptop? Because I can run Batman Arkham City without any problems but cannot run ME3, Skyrim, assassins creed revelations, I cannot figure out where the problem lies. Please reply :)

well i think there's something conflicting with drivers, as i have both skyrim and revelations and i can run both without any problems...
Uninstall and reinstall drivers (clean install), and check for viruses..

Bhambya

Right off the assembly line
well i think there's something conflicting with drivers, as i have both skyrim and revelations and i can run both without any problems...
Uninstall and reinstall drivers (clean install), and check for viruses..

Well, I actually did a clean install of Windows today and installed Catalyst 12.7 beta drivers. The gpu keeps hanging and switching on those games every 2 seconds.. Also the latest A01 drivers from Dell give BSOD so that is not an option..

ratul

█████████████████
Well, I actually did a clean install of Windows today and installed Catalyst 12.7 beta drivers. The gpu keeps hanging and switching on those games every 2 seconds.. Also the latest A01 drivers from Dell give BSOD so that is not an option..

why you installed beta drivers when 12.8 is officially released, download it from here.
Uninstall previous drivers completely and then install these 12.8 drivers..

ratul

█████████████████
which is better 14rse or 15r se?

never saw a 14r se review n i dont care abt the screen size

if you don't, then also 15r is better acc. to me, overclocking 7730m has surpassed the performance of 640m, so there's no benefit of 14r apart of more portability..

saaransh9

Journeyman
if you don't, then also 15r is better acc. to me, overclocking 7730m has surpassed the performance of 640m, so there's no benefit of 14r apart of more portability..

i m not a big fan of overclocking what if i dont overclock the gpu how's its performance then,n the other reason to go for 14r is nvidia's optimus which is much better than enduro

ratul

█████████████████
i m not a big fan of overclocking what if i dont overclock the gpu how's its performance then,n the other reason to go for 14r is nvidia's optimus which is much better than enduro

well, not much difference in performance, it's ddr3 640m only in 14r, even without overclocking, 7730m~640m, but if you see enduro vs optimus, then 14r wins..

it's upto you only, if you really don't consider screen size, then 14r is good 4 u..

saaransh9

Journeyman
well, not much difference in performance, it's ddr3 640m only in 14r, even without overclocking, 7730m~640m, but if you see enduro vs optimus, then 14r wins..

it's upto you only, if you really don't consider screen size, then 14r is good 4 u..

i think 14r doesn't have a backlit keyboard n r there subwoofers in 15r as mentioned in your signature below?

chauhan

Broken In
Guys
Does anyone use Linux on his new laptop? I am strugling with the wifi setup. Any help would be great (I am using a stage 3 gentoo installation and have gooogled hard for this issue)

ratul

█████████████████
Guys
Does anyone use Linux on his new laptop? I am strugling with the wifi setup. Any help would be great (I am using a stage 3 gentoo installation and have gooogled hard for this issue)

i just use it on vmware.. :(
and vmware does'nt detect wifi... :(

but as far as i know, you wud need broadcom wifi drivers for linux, google for it..

Last edited:
Top Bottom