Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

indranath

Broken In
Bought a Sandisk Extreme 32 Gb USB3.0 pen drive with Read Speed of 190MB/Sec and Write speed of 150 MB/Sec. Managed to install the Windows 8 preview on it and boy, it is blazing fast. I'm gonna use it for my college work. Whenever i need it i just plug in the pen drive and boot windows 8 in 10 seconds. And when i need to game I'll just shut it down in 6 seconds, remove the pen drive and boot the pc normally which will load windows 7.
This is what this beast was lacking. Got a Experience index of 6.8 in the Windows 8 now. HDD jumped from 5.8 to 6.8 :eek:

How much did you shell out for this drive ?

sam142000

Journeyman
Bought a Sandisk Extreme 32 Gb USB3.0 pen drive with Read Speed of 190MB/Sec and Write speed of 150 MB/Sec. Managed to install the Windows 8 preview on it and boy, it is blazing fast. I'm gonna use it for my college work. Whenever i need it i just plug in the pen drive and boot windows 8 in 10 seconds. And when i need to game I'll just shut it down in 6 seconds, remove the pen drive and boot the pc normally which will load windows 7.
This is what this beast was lacking. Got a Experience index of 6.8 in the Windows 8 now. HDD jumped from 5.8 to 6.8 :eek:

Dude I have a 1TB portable hard disk. Is it possible to install windows 8 on that? Given that I already have tons of data already on that drive.

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
2.2k. Still its is cheaper than getting a external SSD and yet gives amazing speed.

@sam, Yes you can install windows 8 on that but i don't really see the point unless it is a USB 3.0 External SSD. USB 2.0 Standard HDD would be painfully slow.

sam142000

Journeyman
2.2k. Still its is cheaper than getting a external SSD and yet gives amazing speed.

@sam, Yes you can install windows 8 on that but i don't really see the point unless it is a USB 3.0 External SSD. USB 2.0 Standard HDD would be painfully slow.
I have a USB 3.0 HDD. Tried installing on that after making a partition, didn't work. So made a 50GB partition on the internal HDD and made it dual boot. :clap2:
I must say, its awesome. I'm definitely keeping it after I get the free Win8 key after the launch.

Last edited:

CVS.tyro

Right off the assembly line
hi guys, i finally decided to get a 15r SE fhd last week, only to find that it has been removed temporarily :-x. Since i need to get a laptop by this weekend, i am looking to get a inspiron 14r SE but i am not able to find any good reviews on it :-( .

I would be very grateful if any owner can help me out with the following points:
1.Screen quality (viewing angles, contrast)
2.Temps during gaming (any throttling??)
3.General build quality

thanks in advance for your help!!

potheadninja

Broken In

What is you graphics score in windows experience index?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I have a USB 3.0 HDD. Tried installing on that after making a partition, didn't work. So made a 50GB partition on the internal HDD and made it dual boot. :clap2:
I must say, its awesome. I'm definitely keeping it after I get the free Win8 key after the launch.
why would you keep win 7 & win 8 as dual boot?? and btw why didn't the win 8 installation in the external HDD work??

indranath

Broken In
hi guys, i finally decided to get a 15r SE fhd last week, only to find that it has been removed temporarily :-x. Since i need to get a laptop by this weekend, i am looking to get a inspiron 14r SE but i am not able to find any good reviews on it :-( .

I would be very grateful if any owner can help me out with the following points:
3.General build quality

You can still order for 15R SE, call their tollfree sales no and give your configuration.

This is my first post in this thread but I am a long follower of this thread. This thread had some inspiration to make my mind to buy dell 15r SE. I had placed the order of dell Inspiron 15r SE with FHD on 14th Sept and delivery date was due on 27th Sept.

Just today I came to know from my dell rep that all FHD laptops are on Engineering hold and this hold will be lifted by 3rd of October as per their marketing team. Dell rep could not give me the info what was wrong with FHD screens.

Now, because of this hold my delivery date is delayed to 10th of October and for this I would get a bluetooth headset (worth rs 2650 /-) as a compensation. Also, I have an option to cancel my order in which case I would get refund of my money in 8-10 working days.

Could you guys tell me what should I do ? Really getting confused now :-( what if the dates extends further ? Can I rely the screens which are in hold now ? Is the compensation they are giving is justified ? Pls help guys ...

Any other's opinion before I confirm on it ?

sam142000

Journeyman
why would you keep win 7 & win 8 as dual boot?? and btw why didn't the win 8 installation in the external HDD work??
Since Win8 is just a Release Preview as of now, so I just wanted to see how it looks that's why I installed it as dual boot. Everything is not functioning properly in Win8, so we cant keep it as our Primary OS.
Windows cant be installed on a USB device normally. To make it look like an internal drive there was a procedure which would format my External HDD, which I wasnt willing to do.

RON28

Cyborg Agent

3.General build quality

for your info, i read lots of positive reviews of Dell 14R SE than 15R SE, viewing angel is good, temps are fine only thing is you get 500GB HD in that, but you should wait, don't loose hope for fHD...wait wait wait till diwali to get new and exciting offers.

ckhairnar

hi guys..

I have also ordered the Dell Inspiron 15R SE from dell india website. It will be delivered till 10th October 2012.
Waiting for the delivery...

ratul

█████████████████
hi guys..

I have also ordered the Dell Inspiron 15R SE from dell india website. It will be delivered till 10th October 2012.
Waiting for the delivery...

congo dude.. :doublethumb:..

BTW guys, 12.9 CCC Beta drivers have been released, download from here...
These drivers require .NET 4.0 support, so if you don't have it, download these drivers, comes with .NET 4.0 support..

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
Not gonna bother with them unless there is some significant improvement. It took a lot of trial and error with various drivers to finally find a driver which actually lets me play Sleeping dogs without crashing within 5 minutes.

ratul

█████████████████
Not gonna bother with them unless there is some significant improvement. It took a lot of trial and error with various drivers to finally find a driver which actually lets me play Sleeping dogs without crashing within 5 minutes.

well, CCC now has got advanced options, like now you can select three options instead of two in switchable graphics (Based on power source, power saver, high performance), now has all the apps under one tab (like nvidia i think), and more options are present now, it's a nice upgrade, but can't comment on gaming support as it's beta driver.. :razz:

*i.imgur.com/Zzdf5.jpg​

CVS.tyro

A heads up for guys who want to order the Dell Inspiron 14r SE or 15r SE FHD, there is a 4-6 week waiting time :cry: .
They are facing some problems importing these models from malaysia in sufficient quantities.

The non-fhd 15r SE is available within a week since they are manufactured in chennai.

Need Help: are there any other laptops having a gt 640m or better graphics available in India (excluding the samsung which seems to have many throtlling and build quality issues)??

sai_geek

I live in vizag and we dont hav any dell store or dealers having 15r se FHD with them .i want to know if FHD is good for reading text on, especially for longer hours .Did anyone had experience reply.
suggest me other laptops with an antiglare screen ...what about HP Probook with 1366x768pi antiglare screen?

FHD considering readability>>>>> reading small text will it be ok .. if concerned with eyesight
Plz help me out

indranath

Broken In
I ordered it on 25th september 2012 but no FHD since it was not available.

It is not available online but you could have ordered with FHD by speaking to DELL executive.

I live in vizag and we dont hav any dell store or dealers having 15r se FHD with them .i want to know if FHD is good for reading text on, especially for longer hours .Did anyone had experience reply.
suggest me other laptops with an antiglare screen ...what about HP Probook with 1366x768pi antiglare screen?

FHD considering readability>>>>> reading small text will it be ok .. if concerned with eyesight
Plz help me out

FHD does not really mean small text. It means more pixels in the screen and therefore more crisper display. You can always adjust the size of the text for readability.
Your eyes will love the reading on the FHD screen.

perfect89

hi friends...

i ordered Dell Inspiron 15R SE on 23rd sep 2012, today i got the order confirmation mail and the EDD is on or before 31st oct 2012.
will it really take that long???

Top Bottom