Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

xeon

Broken In
This one is perfect.. :mrgreen:

yeah this would work, but remember, the best ram would be clocked down.. :)

what do you mean clocked down if i get two 9-9-9-28 one and remove the pre-installed ram because 11-11-11-28 CAS Latency one costs 3400. Its just a matter of 1000 rupees i can get two 9-9-9-28 4gb DDR3. Is it worth ?

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
what do you mean clocked down if i get two 9-9-9-28 one and remove the pre-installed ram because 11-11-11-28 CAS Latency one costs 3400. Its just a matter of 1000 rupees i can get two 9-9-9-28 4gb DDR3

then it's fine.. :doublethumb:
it would run absolutely with no problems.. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
then it's fine.. :doublethumb:
it would run absolutely with no problems.. :)

ram has become roughly double the price!! any cheaper rams compatible and available on flipkart?? :(

- - - Updated - - -

btw any idea if a fresh install of windows 7 would be better than dells oem windows 7?

ratul

█████████████████
ram has become roughly double the price!! any cheaper rams compatible and available on flipkart?? :(

no, the rams mentioned above are i think cheapest that are compatible with our laptops..

- - - Updated - - -

btw any idea if a fresh install of windows 7 would be better than dells oem windows 7?

fresh install is always better and preferred.. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
no, the rams mentioned above are i think cheapest that are compatible with our laptops..

fresh install is always better and preferred.. :)

ohh and i get temps of around 58c on idle after an hour of use when im lying down, is this normal?
also is it easy to disassemble for a noob incase i want to clean out the heatsink?
thanks btw :)

ratul

█████████████████
ohh and i get temps of around 58c on idle after an hour of use when im lying down, is this normal?
also is it easy to disassemble for a noob incase i want to clean out the heatsink?

it's slightly higher than usual, do you keep laptop elevated or on a bed with no ventilation? Mine hovers around 47-50c while idling, 53c while watching movies, and 80c while gaming, all in a room temp of 32c..
and it's very easy to disassemble this laptop, if your warranty is over, you can follow this video for detailed disassemble guide:

tkin

Back to school!!
Don't worry about CPU/GPU temps, they have thermal throttling, always keep a keen eye on your HDD temps, specially when gaming.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
thanks for ur replies guys!! :)
it's slightly higher than usual, do you keep laptop elevated or on a bed with no ventilation? Mine hovers around 47-50c while idling, 53c while watching movies, and 80c while gaming, all in a room temp of 32c..
ohh then mines just slightly higher
my room temp is around 35c(mumbai)
i get these temps when i elevate it on a book on my bed with the left side of the laptop (vents) open and around 4cm off the surface of the bed

i was a bit worried when i saw everyone else getting lower temps
Don't worry about CPU/GPU temps, they have thermal throttling, always keep a keen eye on your HDD temps, specially when gaming.

yeah my idle temps for my hdd are 47c constant
yet to check gaming temps for hdd

as for cpu temps while gaming:-
an hour and a half of minecraft made it heat upto 90c within a short time and it went over 100c once then i stepped in and used speedfan to put the fans at full speed after that it dropped to 80c
any tips?

tkin

Back to school!!
thanks for ur replies guys!! :)

ohh then mines just slightly higher
my room temp is around 35c(mumbai)
i get these temps when i elevate it on a book on my bed with the left side of the laptop (vents) open and around 4cm off the surface of the bed

i was a bit worried when i saw everyone else getting lower temps

yeah my idle temps for my hdd are 47c constant
yet to check gaming temps for hdd

as for cpu temps while gaming:-
an hour and a half of minecraft made it heat upto 90c within a short time and it went over 100c once then i stepped in and used speedfan to put the fans at full speed after that it dropped to 80c
any tips?
I use a laptop cooler from cooler master, cost me 1.2k, works good. Around 8-10c drop across most sensors.
Cooler Master Notepal L1 Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com

Oh, one more thing, I use power profiles in win 7 aggressively, in power saving mode my processor is bound to 1.2GHz max(2 cores with HT), works great for all apps, when gaming I put it to high performance mode @ 2.4GHz. So the cpu at 1.2GHz and with the AMD GPU shut down my laptop runs very cool at idle, let me get a screenshot for both idle and gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...top-related-queries-here-139.html#post2075870

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I use a laptop cooler from cooler master, cost me 1.2k, works good. Around 8-10c drop across most sensors.
Cooler Master Notepal L1 Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com

Oh, one more thing, I use power profiles in win 7 aggressively, in power saving mode my processor is bound to 1.2GHz max(2 cores with HT), works great for all apps, when gaming I put it to high performance mode @ 2.4GHz. So the cpu at 1.2GHz and with the AMD GPU shut down my laptop runs very cool at idle, let me get a screenshot for both idle and gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...top-related-queries-here-139.html#post2075870

those temps are awesome!! i guess ill buy the same cooler then
thanks tkin!!awesome avatar btw :D

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

First check where your air vents are. That cooler for example will be useless for Y500/Y510p as the laptop's air vents are on the side and not in the middle of the base.

tkin

Back to school!!
No problem, btw, the avatar took me 3 days to find(gintama) :p

And yes, do check where your air vents are as seamon said above, the laptop cooler works best if the vent is in the middle of the base, but also works somewhat if the vent is sideways as the gigantic 120(or 140)mm fan works great, for my laptop the vents are on the side.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
No problem, btw, the avatar took me 3 days to find(gintama) :p

And yes, do check where your air vents are as seamon said above, the laptop cooler works best if the vent is in the middle of the base, but also works somewhat if the vent is sideways as the gigantic 120(or 140)mm fan works great, for my laptop the vents are on the side.

yeah mine are on the left side of the laptop
are there any smaller fans/cooling pads though?or are diy ones better?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

You can try something like this.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/181218-real-home-made-laptop-cooler-digit-edition-v2-0-final.html

tkin

Back to school!!
Diy works good, but lacks portability as well as takes time and effort. Go ahead, if you can place a small fan exactly below the vent it will work better.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
yeah i have a sorta diy solution already made which was used to elevate the laptop and left the left vents open and free , maybe ill add a fan to it or something

i used this ferrero rocher box to make it and covered it with chart paper
i googled the box and found it-
*www.whalecottage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ferrerorochert24_n.jpg
it does the job but i want some more kick into it

- - - Updated - - -

i only used the top cover not the bottom one

xeon

Broken In
I tried to put 4 RAM in the second Slot of my Dell 15r and it seems that the second slot is not working. RAM is fine? My warranty expired 3 months back but there is still an option to extend the warranty.
When i use this scanner it detects both memory slots *www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
Any ideas ?

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
I tried to put 4 RAM in the second Slot of my Dell 15r and it seems that the second slot is not working. RAM is fine? My warranty expired 3 months back but there is still an option to extend the warranty.
When i use this scanner it detects both memory slots Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer
Any ideas ?
What's happening, is the computer not booting wit the RAM?

And about that, my warranty has also expired 2 months back, how do you extend it? And what is the cost?

xeon

Broken In
What's happening, is the computer not booting wit the RAM?

And about that, my warranty has also expired 2 months back, how do you extend it? And what is the cost?

first slot is working but when i remove all the ram and put the ram only in the second slot and switch on the laptop get 2 beep sound and laptop doesnt start.

it cant be extended once expired i think

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
first slot is working but when i remove all the ram and put the ram only in the second slot and switch on the laptop get 2 beep sound and laptop doesnt start.

it cant be extended once expired i think
That's normal I think, for example in my Asus motherboard, there are slot orders, say the 4 slots are A1B1 A2B2, so if I have one RAM it must go in A1, if I have 2, then A1 A2, 3 means A1B1 A2, and finally A1B1 A2B2, so if your laptop is starting with both RAMs in both slots(order doesn't matter) and the RAM is showing in BIOS/Windows, then its fine.

Top Bottom