Dell E228wfp 22" Lcd Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

╬Switch╬

In the zone
yeah with compro videomate tv gold plus 2

after a hell of a pain with color adjustments with nvidia control panel i was able to get decent color i.e according to my tastes..

picture quality is quite decent somewhat like cheppo lcd tv's but i would prefer it over 29" CRT TV ANYDAY,but if u are expecting it to be a replacement for a bravia or R8 then u are grossly mistaken..

Does it require seperate set top box for TataSky?

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
^^ look i have nothing to prove nor anything to suggest

DELL SP2208WFP is a RTA overdriven panel..
RTA have their own sorts of problems in comparison to panels without RTA

RTA errors are one hell of a pain for TN panels, remember viewsonic 19" VX series

for a TN panel non-RTA response time of 5ms is just great
when non-RTA response time is more than 5ms then manufacturers resort to RTA overdrive

more or less TN panels with RTA are prone to errors ranging from pixelation in text to choppy frames..

best TN panels are ones without RTA having response time of 5ms or less

FYI SP2208WFP has RTA errors associated with pixelation in text

hope it helps everyone:)

I am confused. Is RTA too big a problem? Will it spoil my high end gaming and hdrip watching or is it like the vaguely percievable difference between 320kbps mp3 and 1mbps flac?

I am planning to buy this or 248wfp. How bad is the viewing angle problem. Suppose I am sitting straight ahead of it centre. Wont the edges look like photo negatives because I am looking at them at an angle?

its a big help if you answer. Please mention if there are any options for aspect ratio corrections for 4:3 like 1024*768 and 16:9 resolution in the OSD. I am asking this because I want to play Neverwinter nights at 800*600. I have no problems if black bands appear on sides.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Thanks, @vivekbabbudelhi, for bringing out RTA (Response Time acceleration)
( I would still have appreciated had you come out with this when I specifcally asked on what basis you consider the SP2208 panel inferior than that of E2208.You only chose to give a convoluted reply on biased reviews, user experiences in enlightening forums and blah blah :) )

Coming to RTA, RTA,as its name implies, is implemented by various manufacturers to improve the response time to reduce ghosting..

True it may introduce undesired artifacts.Not all implementations are same and equal.Manufacturer X's implementation may be better than manufacturer Y's implementation.

That RTA is employed by itself does not mean that an inferior panel has been used.. Even on the same 5ms panel as used in E2208, it can be implemented to improve it further.Unless there is authentic information to the contrary, I would personally avoid making such a statement in any authoritative fashion.

I do not think that the expert reviews failed to appreciate the fact that RTA is implemented.It is very much evident in the specifications. The reviews bring out clearly the text readability and the settings required for a better readability and occassional artifacts.As evident from the user reviews text readability as an issue is brought out by a minority of users.

That brings out the priority issue.If what all one requires is text readability and display of still images on his monitor, and does not mind slight ghosting in moving images, then he can jollywell go for E2208 and save himself a couple of thousands.

But if one is into home video and gaming and is sensitive to even slight ghosting (as most users are) then spend another two thousand and go in for SP2208.Majority of the users are satisfied and HDMI input gets you ready to couple it with HDMI output devices and gives exclusive bragging rights:)

And I will definitely come out with a review when SP2208 reaches my table. Bye to all in this thread.

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
so hows the readability. I will have to a lot of programming in 8086, 8051 emulators as well as lot of normal programming and reading. Generalaly 4-5 hours in a sitting. I dont want eye strain and I want gaming as well. So is the readability acceptable? I heard "i" looks wierd on this monitor. is it true?

OP
vivekbabbudelhi

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
here is an interesting thread regarding SP22208WFP/E228WFP/US2208WFP

*forums.erodov.com/showthread.php?t=5837

dingemini312 there is dinesh.he organizes GO's for dell monitors & is very experienced with dell monitors..

after seeing all sorts of issues with RTA/RTC overdrives, i wouldn't recommend a TN with overdrive anyway..
most of overdriven TN panels run into issues like LG226WTQ overdrive issues

a TN screen with 5ms response time without overdrive is nice for most users

btw HDMI is nothing but DVI-D + digital audio ...digital audio basically comes out in form of analog audio output from monitor

any monitor with dvi-d is compatible with hdmi using a simple hdmi-dvi-d adapter for getting video signal

OP
vivekbabbudelhi

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Does it require seperate set top box for TataSky?

no ,using composite connection .i would be getting ir blaster to control STB very soon

I am confused. Is RTA too big a problem?

generally yes but depends upon implementation to implementation,but my answer is avoid panels with RTA

I am planning to buy this or 248wfp. How bad is the viewing angle problem. Suppose I am sitting straight ahead of it centre. Wont the edges look like photo negatives because I am looking at them at an angle?

E228WFP or E248WFP would be nice

any TN panel is nice upto an angle of 120-130 degrees..

I am confused. Is RTA too big a problem?

generally yes but depends upon implementation to implementation,but my answer is avoid panels with RTA

its a big help if you answer. Please mention if there are any options for aspect ratio corrections for 4:3 like 1024*768 and 16:9 resolution in the OSD. I am asking this because I want to play Neverwinter nights at 800*600. I have no problems if black bands appear on sides.

if u are using pc to connect to monitor then graphics driver & software would do scaling for u.U don't need to be worried about scaling anyway...

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
^^ thanks for you reply. You did not get my question regarding edges. see the ascii diagram below
Code:
lcd side view
eyes=eyes
blue = ray trace to eyes from screen.

|[color=blue]\[/color]
| [color=blue]\[/color]
|  [color=blue]\[/color]
|[color=blue]---[/color](eyes)
|  [color=blue]/[/color]
| [color=blue]/[/color]
|[color=blue]/[/color]

now i am looking at the centre of the screen directly with 0 degree viewing angle. No problem here. But lets say i want to see the top and bottom edges of the screen to see my health , ammo etc, i would be looking at the them at steep angles. Wouldn't the display look bad at the edges.

OP
vivekbabbudelhi

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
^^ thanks for you reply. You did not get my question regarding edges. see the ascii diagram below
Code:
lcd side view
eyes=eyes
blue = ray trace to eyes from screen.

|[COLOR=blue]\[/COLOR]
| [COLOR=blue]\[/COLOR]
|  [COLOR=blue]\[/COLOR]
|[COLOR=blue]---[/COLOR](eyes)
|  [COLOR=blue]/[/COLOR]
| [COLOR=blue]/[/COLOR]
|[COLOR=blue]/[/COLOR]
now i am looking at the centre of the screen directly with 0 degree viewing angle. No problem here. But lets say i want to see the top and bottom edges of the screen to see my health , ammo etc, i would be looking at the them at steep angles. Wouldn't the display look bad at the edges.

looking at ur diagram i feel ur unnecessarily bothered...

viewing angles are not an issue unless u keep ur monitor at desk & see it by sitting at ur floor or view it from extreme sides like at an angle of 70/140 degrees taking panel as base

IME TN's are nice upto 60/120 or 65/130 degrees either way taking panel as base in horizontal & middle of panel as starting point...

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
looking at ur diagram i feel ur unnecessarily bothered...

viewing angles are not an issue unless u keep ur monitor at desk & see it by sitting at ur floor or view it from extreme sides like at an angle of 70/140 degrees taking panel as base

IME TN's are nice upto 60/120 or 65/130 degrees either way taking panel as base in horizontal & middle of panel as starting point...

+100...

ppl always talk abt un-necassarily abt viewing angle....how are they goin to view the screen upside down..or while yoga or gymnastics....

i think this one has enough for normal ppl..not the paranoid ones..heheh

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Many places i read that this panel's horizantal viewing angle is decent but vertical is screwed. Thats why I needed to know about top and bottom edge.

jamesmartin

Right off the assembly line
Hey Guys, I’m impressed with the model that you all are talking about but I would recommend checking out the Samsung Sync Master. The spec is really mind-blowing along with the price as compared to the Samsung T220. Here’s one place I came across with a good range and reasonable prices *www.checkcost.co.uk/lcd-tft-monitors/c/4233/, I’m very found of playing games myself, so even I bought one and my personal experience says that you should opt for it…. – best of luck…

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
For T220, cnet says:

The good:
Smashing good looks; matte finish means less glare than with glossy screens.

The bad:
A tad on the pricey side; merely average performance and feature set; wobbly stand.

The bottom line:
The Samsung T220 might be the most stylish LCD monitor we've seen, but average feature set and performance diminish its overall appeal. Despite its flashy looks, it's best used as a simple, productivity display.

-------------------------
Moreover, cnet video shows that the monitor shakes a lot due to bad stand and display is not top notch.

they recommend 2208wfp coz it's cheaper, has webcam, hdmi and usb ports. And also, outperforms T220. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom