Delhi HC removes 200 SMSes per day limit

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court today set aside the cap of 200 SMSes per day sent through a mobile phone SIM for personal communications but upheld the curb on unwanted commercial SMSes saying they infringed the "equally" important right to privacy of "unwilling recipients."

"We are, therefore, of the opinion that the impugned provision (of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) insofar as it covers non-UCCs (Unrestricted Unsolicited Commercial Communications) SMS in the present form as it exists, infringes the freedom of speech of the citizens.

Source : Delhi HC removes 200 SMSes per day limit - Times Of India

Now that's a great great great news for me :p

Hope Vodafone again starts to provide 500 SMS / day on 80/- Bonus Card

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I could do away with sms entirel If only my friends were on smartphones. :(

Plus a broadband connection and tons of savings using voip .

Alas, my friends' only source of internet access is gprs.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
People surely misuse the SMS facility. But I find it very useful.

It is a non-intrusive way of communicating with friends / relatives who are actually working / busy. It gives them the choice of responding at their leisure. And you will also get more thought out / researched replies. Only catch is that they should be of the variety who check their SMS.

Sending a joke or an interesting article link via SMS is also a relatively non-intrusive way of keeping in touch.

When one makes a call, sometimes it gets difficult to properly end the call with a not-so-close acquaintance.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well depends. Like I mainly rely on SMS. Calls and all doesn't matters. But I use a hell lot of SMS :p

200 SMS is like a matter of 2-3 hours if I chat with someone continuously.

And well, after TRAI did this...I spent many days without SMS for rest of the day, because of reaching the limit within morning..!! :p

And believe me school lovers still uses SMS a lot, as they need to talk without make their parents aware of the thing. So SMS is the only way out..!!

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
No need now, there was a time when I send 50,000 per month from Reliance CDMA to all over India. Gov have to reduced the rate of 3G and BB.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Not an SMS junkie, so I was never likely to hit the previous limit anyway. Much better to simply call 'em; way cheaper too, what with 1p/sec calling rates.

Top Bottom