Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't even remeber when i manually ran a disk defrag .. win vista/7/8 optimizes the HDD when not in use though this can be disable ( for SSD ) but it's good for HDDs IMO but when I need to manually defrag HDD I do use 3rd party tools which shows me the overall progress in a nice format and not to mention with more speed and less time.

gameranand

Living to Play
I can't even remeber when i manually ran a disk defrag .. win vista/7/8 optimizes the HDD when not in use though this can be disable ( for SSD ) but it's good for HDDs IMO but when I need to manually defrag HDD I do use 3rd party tools which shows me the overall progress in a nice format and not to mention with more speed and less time.

Imagine my condition. 4 TB to defragment means around 12-14 hours. :|

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
meh... you don't need to defrag those media and iso files and even steam backups. only the system partition need to be defragged.

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah well I defragged them like in a year but didn't knew that it would take that much time. As for System drive, I defrag that regularly. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah well I defragged them like in a year but didn't knew that it would take that much time. As for System drive, I defrag that regularly. :)

Haven't defrag my 2nd rig since ages, yet to see any performance degradation. ;)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
the inbuilt XP defrag tool is fine for OP..

i use TuneUp and it does a very good job.

IMO, only system partition [C:] defrag is must every 3-4months. othe partitions, about once a year. :)

tkin

Back to school!!
I use this regularly, works wonders: Best Free Disk Defrag Software, your free disk defragmenter FOREVER

Just never defrag your C Drive, use this instead, works wonders: How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7 - MSFN Forum

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
forgot to mention before - ultradefrag - this Open Source De-Fragment software is also very good :
UltraDefrag - An Open Source Defragmenter

rohit0571

Journeyman

Can it be checked if a HDD is automatically defragmented, if yes, how?

Every month or 40 days or so. :)

Well the performance difference was not that much but its was noticeable. :)

How do you come to know the difference between a drive which is not defragmented and which is?

gameranand

Living to Play
Can it be checked if a HDD is automatically defragmented, if yes, how?
How do you come to know the difference between a drive which is not defragmented and which is?

1. Yeah usually software does than and if not necessary then it won't defragment the drive.
2. By running benchmarks before defragmentation and after defragmentation. You can also notice it when doing any work, I mean if the HDD is too fragmented and you defragment it then files will open up faster, copy speeds will increase a bit and overall experience will improve. :)

rohit0571

Journeyman
1. Yeah usually software does than and if not necessary then it won't defragment the drive.
2. By running benchmarks before defragmentation and after defragmentation. You can also notice it when doing any work, I mean if the HDD is too fragmented and you defragment it then files will open up faster, copy speeds will increase a bit and overall experience will improve. :)

Thanks. But I know this. But I have been using 2-3 defragmentation softwares earlier (window's own S.ware, iobit and tried some others too). But if I run 2 different defragmentators, they show different analysis.

But anyways, thanks for the help.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Thanks. But I know this. But I have been using 2-3 defragmentation softwares earlier (window's own S.ware, iobit and tried some others too). But if I run 2 different defragmentators, they show different analysis.

But anyways, thanks for the help.

Why do you need two different tools to monitor a HDD for defragmentation? Different tools have different algorithms to track and depict frag levels...the fragmentation you see is a logical representation of your HDD total filespace vacant and resident space, its not physical, tools would differ in that too, even disk accessing algorithms and methods are different too...liike C-SCAN, F-SCAN, SVF etc...

.stick to any one of them and use it as your purpose serves. Remember evevery defrag operation will imply a certain wear and tear to your HDD platters, different defraggers will also do these differently, so why put that poor thing in a tug-o-war! There is nothing called an over-defrag and no one faced HDD crash from it as i know of..still..treat him with care :)

tkin

Back to school!!
Do you guys know defragmenting C drive slows the OS down? Because in C Drive the files are optimized to load in order when OS boots, defragmenting it actually rearranges the files, if you want to speed up your Windows use the method I posted here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/169559-defragment-software-2.html#post1833050
(Its not just a registry clean type tool, this actually invokes the process to optimze the files to load according to order).

This is same as the bootvis tool in Win XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom