Decent USB modem?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yeah, take a look UMG 1831 | eBay

But your budget won't permit, instead Huawei E1750 3G usb modem Data Card 7.2Mbps HSUPA Model | eBay will come within your budget.

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^^Are they better than photon+, MTS, etc. ?

Also how it works ? Do v need to put a sim card?

I'm a minimind in this part... noob alert! :))

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
MTS, photon+, reliance is using CDMA technology, but Huawei umg1831 is GSM technology device, you only can use gsm sim like airtel, docomo, vodafone, BSNL, aircel 3G sim....

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yeah, they are like Photon+, Netconnect and all, but unlocked. Actually those are the same modems from Huawei..!!

Ya, you need to put SIM Card, all are 3G modems, so if you can afford 3G plans you can use 3G otherwise you have to stick to EDGE/GPRS.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, all I can say is Photon+ can give better speeds sometimes than EDGE.

In my point of view, I really don't see any advantages of getting these modems if you won't be using 3G. Photon+, Netconnect can provide better speeds than EDGE(if not in all areas then at least in some areas).

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
So if using 3G, Huawei umg1831 or 1750 + vodafone sim is good...

I'll ask my frnd...

But if not usin 3G, which is a better buy?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, all of the Photon+, Netconnect and all sucks big time, but in some areas Photon+ rocks over others, so check out at your area before getting one.

I'd highly suggest to check out how much speed you are getting on Vodafone EDGE at your location. In that case you can go with 3G Modems.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I used BSNL 3G, Vodafone 3G, Vodafone EDGE, Airtel EDGE and Photon+

Photon+ gives approx. 256kbps though they advertise upto 3.1mbps(which is correct in marketting sense :p). Browsing along with few downloads about 100MB and all is ok.

Vodafone EDGE gave around .22mbps on speedtest and for browsing it was ok, but fails when browsing multiple sites and loaded sites. General facebook, orkut, TDF will be ok.

Vodafone 3G rocks..!! :) But if you are looking for downloading then the present tarrifs are not your cup of tea.

BSNL 3G is also good but not stable in comparison to Vodafone 3G, I mean speeds keep fluctuating, overall it's ok. Again look at the tariffs. :(

Airtel EGDE is same as Vodafone EDGE, for browsing it would be ok.

So if you are not looking for donwloading you can go for 3G, otherwise you need to stick to Photon+ and all, as under EDGE downloading would need much high patience, except few MB songs and all.

So speed wise 3G > Photon+(and others) > EDGE.

Note : That depends on your area, in some areas, people gets much better speeds on EDGE. So I'd highly suggest you to test before getting one.

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
BSNL 3G is also good but not stable in comparison to Vodafone 3G, I mean speeds keep fluctuating, overall it's ok. Again look at the tariffs. :(

So if you are not looking for donwloading you can go for 3G, otherwise you need to stick to Photon+ and all, as under EDGE downloading would need much high patience, except few MB songs and all.

So speed wise 3G > Photon+(and others) > EDGE.

Note : That depends on your area, in some areas, people gets much better speeds on EDGE. So I'd highly suggest you to test before getting one.

BSNL even after a 100 yrs they'll remain the same..

Purpose is not downloading... Jus browsing...

Also in GSM technology device, v can switch between 3G n EDGE ryt?

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
Also in GSM technology device, v can switch between 3G n EDGE ryt?
right.....

if you want to lots of downloads, contact bsnl local exchange.... and ask for EVDO, they offering unlimited for rs.750 only, also first test, if it getting good signal strength in your home.....

saswat23

Human Spambot
I think INTERNET settings will be installed automatically (it installed automatically in my friend's PC) when you put the modem with the SIM card. If not contact Airtel C.Care for this..

Top Bottom