Debian 7.0 Wheezy released.

heidi2521

Padawan
Debian -- News -- Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" released

After many months of constant development, the Debian project is proud to present its new stable version 7.0 (code name Wheezy).
This new version of Debian includes various interesting features such as multiarch support, several specific tools to deploy private clouds, an improved installer, and a complete set of multimedia codecs and front-ends which remove the need for third-party repositories.

Multiarch support, one of the main release goals for Wheezy, will allow Debian users to install packages from multiple architectures on the same machine. This means that you can now, for the first time, install both 32- and 64-bit software on the same machine and have all the relevant dependencies correctly resolved, automatically.

The installation process has been greatly improved: Debian can now be installed using software speech, above all by visually impaired people who do not use a Braille device. Thanks to the combined efforts of a huge number of translators, the installation system is available in 73 languages, and more than a dozen of them are available for speech synthesis too.
In addition, for the first time, Debian supports installation and booting using UEFI for new 64-bit PCs (amd64), although there is no support for Secure Boot yet.

This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:

Apache 2.2.22
Asterisk 1.8.13.1
GIMP 2.8.2
an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 3.4
GNU Compiler Collection 4.7.2
Icedove 10 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
Iceweasel 10 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications 4.8.4
kFreeBSD kernel 8.3 and 9.0
LibreOffice 3.5.4
Linux 3.2
MySQL 5.5.30
Nagios 3.4.1
OpenJDK 6b27 and 7u3
Perl 5.14.2
PHP 5.4.4
PostgreSQL 9.1
Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3
Samba 3.6.6
Tomcat 6.0.35 and 7.0.28
Xen Hypervisor 4.1.4
the Xfce 4.8 desktop environment
X.Org 7.7
more than 36,000 other ready-to-use software packages, built from nearly 17,500 source packages.
With this broad selection of packages, Debian once again stays true to its goal of being the universal operating system. It is suitable for many different use cases: from desktop systems to netbooks; from development servers to cluster systems; and for database, web, or storage servers. At the same time, additional quality assurance efforts like automatic installation and upgrade tests for all packages in Debian's archive ensure that Wheezy fulfills the high expectations that users have of a stable Debian release. It is rock solid and rigorously tested.

You can install Debian on computers ranging from handheld systems to supercomputers, and on nearly everything in between. A total of nine architectures are supported: 32-bit PC / Intel IA-32 (i386), 64-bit PC / Intel EM64T / x86-64 (amd64), Motorola/IBM PowerPC (powerpc), Sun/Oracle SPARC (sparc), MIPS (mips (big-endian) and mipsel (little-endian)), Intel Itanium (ia64), IBM S/390 (31-bit s390 and 64-bit s390x), and ARM EABI (armel for older hardware and armhf for newer hardware using hardware floating-point).

Want to give it a try?
If you want to simply try it without having to install it, you can use a special image, known as a live image, available for CDs, USB sticks, and netboot setups. Initially, these images are provided for the amd64 and i386 architectures only. It is also possible to use these live images to install Debian. More information is available from the Debian Live homepage.

If, instead, you want to directly install it, you can choose among various installation media, such as Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, CDs, and USB sticks, or from the network. Several desktop environments — GNOME, KDE Plasma Desktop and Applications, Xfce, and LXDE — may be installed through CD images; the desired one may be chosen from the boot menus of the CDs/DVDs. In addition, multi-architecture CDs and DVDs are available which support installation of multiple architectures from a single disc. Or you can always create bootable USB installation media (see the Installation Guide for more details).

The installation images may be downloaded right now via bittorrent (the recommended method), jigdo, or HTTP; see Debian on CDs for further information. Wheezy will soon be available on physical DVD, CD-ROM, and Blu-ray Discs from numerous vendors, too.

Already a happy Debian user and you only want to upgrade?
Upgrades to Debian 7.0 from the previous release, Debian 6.0 (codenamed Squeeze), are automatically handled by the apt-get package management tool for most configurations. As always, Debian systems may be upgraded painlessly, in place, without any forced downtime, but it is strongly recommended to read the release notes as well as the installation guide for possible issues, and for detailed instructions on installing and upgrading. The release notes will be further improved and translated to additional languages in the weeks after the release.

Time for me to move to Jessie.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Me installing it in Virtualbox right now. I chose the 32-bit edition. Let's see what's new. And, with the introduction of kernel 3.2 in it, I'm also thinking of installing it natively on my sytem.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Me installing it in Virtualbox right now. I chose the 32-bit edition. Let's see what's new. And, with the introduction of kernel 3.2 in it, I'm also thinking of installing it natively on my sytem.

You could just take a look at the wiki to know what's new :)

NewInWheezy - Debian Wiki

@user subtitle: Agreed.

Theodre

In the zone
I haven't tried the Debian. I have a doubt, will i be able to upgrade to GNOME 3.8 in debian wheezy???

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Debian is THE Most Stable Distros ever. I used to work with it and it was smooth as breeze.

^^ You can upgrade afaik.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Using Wheezy since last two weeks & surprisingly, I haven't booted my beloved Arch Linux since. Using the GNOME 3 environment. I love it's stability & low resource usage. The only thing that I miss is that, some of the addons of Firefox aren't compatible with Iceweasel's v10. Like Easy You Tube downloader & DownThemAll.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
You could just use Firefox itself you know. Remove Iceweasel and get Firefox from the LMDE repo. Works for me.

Theodre

In the zone
I need to know if we can upgrade the GNOME to 3.8! since the GNOME 3.8 is stable!! I don't know that much!! I am using ubuntu 13.04 at present and it sucks!! Not stable so am jumping to debian!! downloaded one dvd 2 more to go!! and also, can i be able to install bumblebee in this?? for my nvidia GT650M which uses optimus technology??

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
^Debian takes a very slow and ultra stable approach when it comes to packages. I don't think 3.8 will be available for another year or so in the repo. I think it is still in Sid right now.

Unless you are running a server or something else which requires high stability I'd recommend switching to Linux Mint or LMDE if you are unsatisfied with Ubuntu.

Theodre

In the zone
I don't like linux mint at all. Can stand UNITY, but cinnamon??? No way........... Am installing Debian. Have to get satisfied with Gnome 3.4.2. So don't you think our personal data deserve a better OS which is ultra stable?? :)

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
I don't like linux mint at all. Can stand UNITY, but cinnamon??? No way........... Am installing Debian. Have to get satisfied with Gnome 3.4.2. So don't you think our personal data deserve a better OS which is ultra stable?? :)

If Unity is the only problem you have you could just change the UI you know. Install Gnome 3.8 on Ubuntu rather than switching to debian. I was recommending Mint because almost all Ubuntu packages run on it.

Add gnome repo to your sources and then install.

apt-add-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
apt-get update
apt-get-install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop

should do the trick.

@bold: I like living on the edge ;)

Theodre

In the zone
First of all i tried almost everything to update to GNOME 3.8. Then second, the ubuntu 13.04 is a huge failure (atleast for me). Then i think it should be the GRAND DADDY which should be installed!! The only other distro which i was going to use was Fuduntu, the project is dead!! But soon will become cloverleaf linux!! Actually, in my view the Fuduntu should have overtaked the linux mint and ubuntu if given time!! The first time i used fuduntu was when it was on distrowatch's distro rank -37th then after a week it was 31 then in two weeks it was on 27 and then 21 which showed it was pickin up speed!! I don't know why the project leader stopped it!! When i came back to linux mint 14 cinnamon edition after using fuduntu 2013.1 it was like riding an old car which was newly painted!! :| Anyways i will go to Debian. Thanks for the advise anyways :) Gotta delete the ubuntu 13.04 which is installed with GNOME 3.8 (crashed ofcourse ;) ) Gotta delete that crashed ubuntu....

Top Bottom