DDR2 to DDR3 RAM. Is it worth the upgrade??

amitbhawani

Broken In
I have current system that runs 6Gigs of DDR2 RAM at 1066MHz. The CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz.

lately I have been thinking about upgrading to 4GB of DDR3 RAM but that would mean I will also have to change my motherboard.

a 4gb ddr3 module from transcend costs about 2200. is it really worth upgrading??

saswat23

Human Spambot
There is no need at all. Stick with the current setup. Upgrading will cost you un-necessarily for just a mere frequeny increase.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, stick with DDr2 rams - if you need a boost in performance then OC the CPU to 3.5-3.6 Ghz using a good CPu cooler like CM Hyper 212+ though the OC will depend on your mobo.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
just wanted to know if it depends on mobo
what are the factors looked upon and can i overclock with my mobo

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
ok i am sticking with my good old 6gb ddr2.
just out of curiosity though, what about, 4GB DDR2 vs 4GB DDR3. Any significant performance improvement??

blademast3r

In the zone
When you overclock u generally overclock the FSB frequency.. This is the bus to which ur northbridge components (RAM,CPU) are connected. So yes, your rams will work faster too..

And abt ur original qestion..No, you wont see a significant boost.. However ull be able to OC more usng a higher frequency DDR3

Top Bottom