Dbl Sided or Single sided Ram - what is the diference ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukundpathak

Broken In
On my recent purchase of AMD 64 3000+ Venice Core and MSI RS 482M4-ILD Mobo I also purchased 2 sticks of 512 MB each Zion Ram from authorised distributor at Lamington Rd. However on opening at home I
found One Ram stick to be single sided and the other double sided. Though each one carries similar sticker "ZHY400512/512 MB DDR PC400" both have 8 digit Sr. Nos. which vary totally.

The dealer has agreed to replace either one but question is/are ..

Which is better ? Can I use them both togather ? Motherboard manual says "memory modules of the same type and density are required while using Dual-channel DDR".

So far I am using only one 512 MB double sided Dimm to be on a safe side.

Please advise the best option. TIA

darklord

Cyborg Agent
well the memory IC used on the Memory module decides whether the module will be single sided or double sided.

If the the IC is high density,its single side other wise double sided.

Theres no difference between the 2,using either of the 2 doesnt make any difference.But yes mixing both in a system isnt recommended.this can cause problems for the memory controller in addressing.

OP
M

mukundpathak

Broken In
darklord said:
well the memory IC used on the Memory module decides whether the module will be single sided or double sided.

If the the IC is high density,its single side other wise double sided.

Theres no difference between the 2,using either of the 2 doesnt make any difference.But yes mixing both in a system isnt recommended.this can cause problems for the memory controller in addressing.

Thank you Darklord, but what exactly is density ?

Also testing the module with CPU-Z shows it as DDR-SDRam PC-3200- 512 MBytes with DRAM Frequency at 200 MHz. Shouldn't it be 400 MHz ?
If you can please explain. Thanks.

OP
M

mukundpathak

Broken In
nishant_nms said:
get single sided one and use them in dual channel but if u prefer dual sided go for them

I am trying to learn the difference between the two so why should I prefer any one over the other? :?

Which one would you prefer and WHY ?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Also testing the module with CPU-Z shows it as DDR-SDRam PC-3200- 512 MBytes with DRAM Frequency at 200 MHz. Shouldn't it be 400 MHz ?
If you can please explain. Thanks.

200MHz is the base operating frequency.Its DDR remember ? so
200 x 2 =400 MHz.

The basic operating frequncy for the base frequency of your FSB/HTT is 200MHz.
So by default the memory runs synchronous with the FSB/HTT generally.

So if you keep the memory synchronous with the FSB /HTT and overclock the FSB/HTT top say 250,your memory speed is shown as 250,which means its DDR 500 in reality.

I hope this clears your doubts. :wink:

I am trying to learn the difference between the two so why should I prefer any one over the other? Confused

Which one would you prefer and WHY ?

Density of the memory chip means,how much capacity does a single chip boast ?
For example if you have a double sided 512MB stick then it means there are 8 chips on one side and 8 on the other
so total 16 chips
512MB /16 = 32MB each.

Now consider 512MB single sided
means 512 / 8 = 64MB each

Using single sided memory is more recommended as its easier for the memory controller to address memory with it.
Also single sided memory modules tend to overclock much better.

OP
M

mukundpathak

Broken In
Thank you DarkLord, you have explained me very well. I appreciate your neat answers and my doubts, for the time being, are totally cleared.

Single and double sided ram modules do not function in dual channel mode. I got the single sided 512 mb replaced with double sided one from the Dealer.

But unfortunately I opened the sealed replacement after reaching home and found it to be ...... 1 GB module.

So I have now learnt that 512 mb and 1024 mb modules - both double sided, 400 mhz and of same make also do not work in a dual channel.

The question now is - May the Powers Be with You, DarkLord - in general terms which one is better: 1 GB + 512 mb in single channel or 512 mb + 512 mb in dual channel and to what extent ?

I shall go to the dealer again for replacement tomorrow - I already called him up and told him of his mistake. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
you got a 1GB module for a 512 MB module :shock: WOW keep it with you and forget the rest :D

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well imho
It depends on the kinda setup u have.

Dual Channel is always good but if you have a P4 setup then u NEED Dual Channel for respectable performance.

If its A64,it doesnt matter much so u can use iin single channel too.

Its upto u to decide.

I personally hate these hybrid combos-
768MB ,1.5GB....blah blah.

The best thing is to have 2 same make,rating,speed RAM modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom