DataOne Bug : FREE Download even after 8 AM ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
I have recently noticed a bug in the DataOne Usage system due to which you cna download even after 8 AM for free.

"The DataOne server does not identify usage between the time 2 AM to 8 AM but what it sees is that at what time the connection has started.

For example, if you start the connection at 7:55 AM, you can download or browse for free as long as you stay connected. Mind you, the usage will be charged if the connection gets disconnected and gets reconnected after 8 AM (which happens so in windows default connection).

To harness this bug (at least as long as someone at BSNL fixes it), you can create a new connection in windows. Then in its properties, in the Options tab, disable redialling.

No idea for linux though....

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
I have recently noticed a bug in the DataOne Usage system due to which you cna download even after 8 AM for free.

"The DataOne server does not identify usage between the time 2 AM to 8 AM but what it sees is that at what time the connection has started.

For example, if you start the connection at 7:55 AM, you can download or browse for free as long as you stay connected. Mind you, the usage will be charged if the connection gets disconnected and gets reconnected after 8 AM (which happens so in windows default connection).

To harness this bug (at least as long as someone at BSNL fixes it), you can create a new connection in windows. Then in its properties, in the Options tab, disable redialling.

No idea for linux though....

naaaahhhhhh...its not like that...at least in my case !!!

I genrally log out at 8.30 am to go to office. And my usage after 8 am is recognised and added to the limited usage..

prasad_den

Padawan
YEah.. They do charge for the usage beyond 8.00 AM even though the connection was initiated at 7.30 or 7.55.. :)
IF what the OP says had been true, by now everyone would be having only a BSNL Home 500 plan.. ;)

OP
Arun the Gr8

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
YEah.. They do charge for the usage beyond 8.00 AM even though the connection was initiated at 7.30 or 7.55.. :)
IF what the OP says had been true, by now everyone would be having only a BSNL Home 500 plan.. ;)

Well, i dont think everyone will have 500C plan since mine gets disconnected after nearly 30 mins :-(

Are you sure? Maybe they are charging it. Who knows ;)

Well i dont think so.... ;-)

*img227.imageshack.us/img227/549/14129811xg6.jpg
By arunthegr8 at 2008-11-21

Last edited:

ajaybc

Youngling
This works allright.But the thing is that the connection automatically gets disconnected after 30 mins.So if u disconnect and reconnect at 7:55 AM u can continue using free till 8:25 AM.Atleast this is what I observed and I use this extra time to download all the game trailers and all because my utorrent would be active till 8:00AM

OP
Arun the Gr8

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
yeah even i have observed that... the connection gets disconnected after 30 mins... still u hav got half-hour rite.. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I think you're wrong.

Once I started my downloads at 1:45am and they continued till 8:30am and all the data downloaded before 2am and 8am was counted.

OP
Arun the Gr8

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
Well, I think you're wrong.

Once I started my downloads at 1:45am and they continued till 8:30am and all the data downloaded before 2am and 8am was counted.

Thats how i learned that if you connect b4 8 am the data usage will not be counted... same thing happened to me.. i too once connected at 1:46 am and my usage was billed. so i tried the opposite and it worked :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats how i learned that if you connect b4 8 am the data usage will not be counted... same thing happened to me.. i too once connected at 1:46 am and my usage was billed. so i tried the opposite and it worked :)
BTW by "b4 8am", do you mean between 2am and 8am???

If yes, then I'll also give it a try. :D

red_devil

Back!

will give this new found bug a try.. btw, what did the op mean by "which happens so in windows default connection" ??

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Don't depend on this. Once I downloaded after the cuttoff time of 8.00 am and downloaded upto 8.30. when I saw the usage details, there was no charge. Next day also I experiemented and next day sure enough they charged me prorata for period from 8.10 onwards!! Their rules are arbitrary and never ever rely on it. Otherwise you may end with huge bills.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
So it 'works' only on Home 500C? Too bad I have only Home 500.
BTW why is this news on Technology News section?

OP
Arun the Gr8

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
So it 'works' only on Home 500C? Too bad I have only Home 500.
BTW why is this news on Technology News section?

Well sorry about that.. i posted it here bcoz it was News to me and thought people should know about it...
So where else should i have posted it?

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^They really are fools. Most of them know only to check telephone problems, and just set up an internet connection.

I'm trying this out tomorrow morning BTW.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well sorry about that.. i posted it here bcoz it was News to me and thought people should know about it...
So where else should i have posted it?

May be in the Chit Chat section, or if it looks so much like a 'news' to you then I suggest Random News. What do you think man, a way of cheating BSNL is technologically so cool that it might count as a Tech News?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom