Admirer Of Digit

Journeyman
I want to make a database which contains the contents of DVDs OF All months issues in such a way that helps me to look for any utility easily contained in any DVD as the Digit Finder is not running on my system and showing errors.....

For this I want to make tables with Table name as of "Multimedia" or "Games" or "System" etc. with Field Names as "Jan10" or "Dec09" .......{as per months publication}

Please help me out how can i make such a database on MS Access or suggest me some other DBMS on which my problem can be sorted out easily.....

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:Help me out....... :hissyfit:

krabhishek

Right off the assembly line
I want to make a database which contains the contents of DVDs OF All months issues in such a way that helps me to look for any utility easily contained in any DVD as the Digit Finder is not running on my system and showing errors.....

For this I want to make tables with Table name as of "Multimedia" or "Games" or "System" etc. with Field Names as "Jan10" or "Dec09" .......{as per months publication}

Please help me out how can i make such a database on MS Access or suggest me some other DBMS on which my problem can be sorted out easily.....

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:Help me out....... :hissyfit:

Try out MySQL. Its very simple and lightweight (and much much much much more advanced RDBMS when compared to MS Access). Its free and opensource.

As far as creating the database is concerned, its actually quite easy. You can use PHP as frontend. That way you can even put your software up on your website also if you want, else you can run it locally right out of your browser. If you are running OpenSolaris then you can install amp-dev package (it included preconfigured php and mysql) (open *tr.im/ampdevpkg from your opensolaris box to install using web installer) and install phpMyAdmin to manage your database (*pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib/en/search.shtml?token=phpmyadmin)

If you are running linux then you can individually install mysql and php and configure it or you can install something like XAMPP for Linux.

Here are some tutorials: *knol.google.com/k/jayadev-kamath/php-mysql-beginner-guide/14rl65u0kyb4n/2#

phpMyAdmin: *www.siteground.com/tutorials/php-mysql/mysql_database_manage.htm

Hope it helps.

~Abhishek

Aspire

Padawan
MySQL seems to be the only way
OR
You could try MS Access. Its simple and straight forward. You only need to have the right database structure in mind.

Last edited:

Tron91

In the zone
Try fiddling with MS Access. Its simple and straight forward. You only need to have the right database structure in mind. You will need to put one field for storing the software version too! That one will be a bit messy. For example you might need to search for version 2.3.123.789 or 1.03! Figure that out!

OP
Admirer Of Digit

Admirer Of Digit

Journeyman
Try fiddling with MS Access. Its simple and straight forward. You only need to have the right database structure in mind. You will need to put one field for storing the software version too! That one will be a bit messy. For example you might need to search for version 2.3.123.789 or 1.03! Figure that out!

Ya, i tried it but the problem comes is that there are 100s of softwares in each digit magazine....

And the copy paste option from the site to MS Access does nt works......

And if we will export it through copying in Notepad & importing then the softwares will be arranged only in one coloumn...

Whereas i want that the softwares in each coloumn would be of one type eg. in one coloumn all softwares related to internet, & so on....

Please gve me a good way... out....:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Aspire

Padawan
no access or frontpage on Windows 7 :lol:
Time to move on to open source...............

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

If i recall correctly, there used to be an option in the menu giving you the freedom to split the contents of a cell into multiple cells if there was a space between the words.

so what you need to do is:
1. copy the contents into a notepad file
2. import it
3. split the contents into multiple cells using that tool

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Why are you cross posting..???

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124106

Just upload the XML file, will do it for you. Will take me 5-6 minutes.

Top Bottom